Edgecombe

Maintaining dirt bike trail.

My buddies and I cut over 5 miles of trail on my property and more on my  2 cousin's land that is next to mine. About couple hundred acres. It is really hard work in some of the thick parts, but the worst is the damn beavers that dam and flood some of the lower spots. Its only about a 75 yard spot, but there's no way around it. Tomorrow I will be busting the dam and setting traps in the afternoon.  I took vacation for the next 2 weeks, so hopefully in a few days I'll have them all till the next ones show up. Most days it's just me, myself and I.  Buddies always have excuses and sometimes they show. Any one feel my pain.

• Like 6
  • Helpful 1

I feel your pain man. I have about 27 miles of forest single track that I cut and maintain myself. It takes an insane amount of time to take care of. I spent 12 hrs this week clearing deadfall, remarking the old flagging tape and rehanging fallen course marking arrows and only made it about 5 miles. At that rate, I only have about 11 more days to finish. Luckily my arrows last about three years.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

Yep, if I didn't occasionally pack a chainsaw with me, my local trails would never get cleaned up. It's so hard to get people that want to help...at least show up and provide emotional encouragement even if you don't want to lift a finger. 

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Yea only some cut trail and do maintenance. Everyone likes to ride though.  :bonk:  I clean trails by myself . I also go with another group that does alot of cutting and cleaning. Most are vet riders. You got to give to get. Kudos to you all helping! :thumbsup: Good job guys!!!

Some of the group here have chain saws and we all have machetes and saws. Everything grows so  fast too. If you don’t cut it can just get swallowed by the greenery... 

If no one else is going to clean then it’s gotta be you.

Here’s some of the crew.

ECF533A8-D22C-4B53-8E75-E6D08684C8AA.jpeg

B45D71B6-5D40-47F1-935C-195CF6EEDD97.jpeg

A1508F94-30A6-4CC4-AC0E-D2285C16F318.jpeg

174C5E3D-D50A-4D47-8789-43B6C1FEA3ED.jpeg

B3EE9C92-C732-42BE-98D9-3746E60BE0C8.jpeg

Look very carefully and you can see riders ahead below..

39945B03-1CCF-413E-8CD9-F7BCAC268CC2.thumb.jpeg.48dd21f1a94c0660cb1241dd64884136.jpeg

CD8EC218-CF71-467C-96CB-79DF97D5AB60.jpeg

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 3

I have found that everyone wants to ride, no one wants to do the required work.  I don't have trail to maintain, although I do help to set up and trim for our local enduro.  Usually 2 weeks every night after work for a one time a year event.  200 ish riders for the race, there about 6 of us that volunteer to do the work.

I have a small HS track at my house that we ride every weekend we aren't somewhere else riding.  I spend 2-3 hours on the tractor cleaning and prepping for the rides...alone.  I have had the track for 7 years, and can't recall more than a few times people actually showed up to help.  They always show up for the ride though!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Truman Sparks said:

How many Pakaolol patches did you come across? 

Pakalolo

Not so much these days. 70’s and 80’s there was a bunch. Guys growing weed don’t go where dirt bike riders go. They figure the kinds of area. I haven’t run into weed for years except for beginners just trying it out. We  run into pig hunters gun and bow and mountain bike guys mostly. .. and try to avoid the military. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Edgecombe said:

My buddies and I cut over 5 miles of trail on my property and more on my  2 cousin's land that is next to mine. About couple hundred acres. It is really hard work in some of the thick parts, but the worst is the damn beavers that dam and flood some of the lower spots. Its only about a 75 yard spot, but there's no way around it. Tomorrow I will be busting the dam and setting traps in the afternoon.  I took vacation for the next 2 weeks, so hopefully in a few days I'll have them all till the next ones show up. Most days it's just me, myself and I.  Buddies always have excuses and sometimes they show. Any one feel my pain.

Yep. I feel your pain. I try to look at it as a nice day in the woods coupled with a good workout. That, and there's always good camaraderie with those that do show to help out.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 76xtdrvr said:

Yep. I feel your pain. I try to look at it as a nice day in the woods coupled with a good workout. That, and there's always good camaraderie with those that do show to help out.

The days spent out I the woods are great but I wouldn't know about the camaraderie part. Everybody says they'll help out with the maintenance but over the past ten years, only two actually have.

I think I need new riding buddies.  

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Edgecombe said:

I don't personally don't build any trails but we have some local dudes who are masters at building trails (dirt biking/mountain biking) and I have huge respect for the time and effort they put in to making some amazing PNW trails that I can ride 10 mins away from my house. Then my local dirt bike club has regular trail maintenance nights and which I'll attend and have no problems stopping during a ride to do some clean up as needed but limited to what I'm prepared to have to deal with unless I specifically go in with the tools to deals with something specific.

This is a local dude (Big Red Ted) who runs Dream Wizards and builds mostly mountain bike trails all over the world for a living BUT he's a dirt biker and makes some damn fine dirt bike trails :)

Clipboard01fsdfdss.jpg.b5e86be7a67bbfbc9329f271a1a73d50.jpg

p5pb13947544.jpg

image006.jpg

p5pb13947545.jpg

dream_comp.jpg

7mesh_DreamWizards_Blog-5.jpg

1011880_10151728477121970_420367713_n.jp

As far as the beavers go, I'd leave them to do there thing and since we have to deal with lots of rain etc etc etc, just build some bridges etc to get over the swampy parts.

7mesh_DreamWizards_Blog-2.jpg

freeride-ladder-bridge.jpg

BRL-Bridge-4-0-0.jpg

-woodentrailIMG_2908.jpg

Sorry - pic heavy BUT as I said I know I'm extremely lucky to be able live and ride where I do,

Seasons Greetings :)

Edited by filterx
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1

OP, Is it legal in your state to kill beavers or harrass them?  I know some states it's not.  I see some good use of pallets for really wet ground but obviously not too deep.  They do it around here for enduros so they don't end up with 100 bikes stuck in a mud pit.  I just started working on a couple of miles of trail, trying to make it not attractive to quads.  I won't be back there untill spring so I'll see if all my marking ribbons haven't been pulled down by hunters. It doesn't really matter because I went over it so many times to break it in.   I already have help lined up for more trail opening this spring.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, irme42day said:

Trail Maintainance,

IMG_20181212_134352.jpg.408ddbcea22f38ef3679df2148d5b29e.jpg

what

IMG_20181208_124626.jpg.6d5a3513e03753838a4f0945bfcd19a7.jpg

is

IMG_20181026_143207.jpg.25626d5f4d7964ed6457a32c0a72bd9e.jpg

that?

Looks like Idaho has the same trail maintenance problems you do in AZ.  Well, one of the trail marker signs got knocked over once, so I fixed that, but it was a few years ago.  Other than that, this is our riding places in the desert.   

2131072059_xStartedwayoverthere.jpg.deba823f67c4d72879a2577687cd12d8.jpg

Fifty miles in the other direction are thick mountain forests and they definitely do take a lot of maintenance, especially in the Spring to clear the deadfall. 

966559496_IdahoOrangeGrove.jpg.c2dbac9801d83cf3b3d6c601bb0d063f.jpg

Idaho has thousands of miles of trails, with separately designated trails for dirt bikes, mountain bikes, ATVs, UTVs, Jeeps, horses and hikers

Edited by MotoMac
  • Like 4

Yup, trail maintenance is necessary and it's hard work, but IMO totally worth the effort.  It's important that we all do our part and give back, to support our hobby / sport / lifestyle and make it possible for future generations.  Not everyone agrees that it has to be a group effort and it's those knuckleheads that get riding areas closed.  Of course private property is another category, I'm just saying most people ride at "designated trails" that are not always respected.  Thank you for your efforts, even if just on your own property.

About the beaver dams, maybe a bridge would be a better option than blasting / trapping?  Just a thought.

• Like 3

Beavers here can take over the land if not controlled. Turn 1000 acres of good timber land into half swamp with dead trees in a few years, Not to mention the loss from protections and setbacks from the newly created wet area's.    

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Edgecombe said:

It is your property so you get to do most of the work. Stop inviting your buddies if it really bothers you. 

Actually...I think trail maintenence is kinda fun, or even opening new trails.  You also get the comaraderie with the helpers too.  of course, it's ALL easier with the correct tools.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

13 minutes ago, highmarker said:

Beavers here can take over the land if not controlled. Turn 1000 acres of good timber land into half swamp with dead trees in a few years, Not to mention the loss from protections and setbacks from the newly created wet area's.    

I’m totally clueless to knowing how to deal with beavers and knowing how they affect land. It’s interesting learning from you and others here. Hey it’s a trail cutting thread but it’s still different all over the world. 🌎 :ride:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, motoxvet said:

Actually...I think trail maintenence is kinda fun, or even opening new trails.  You also get the comaraderie with the helpers too.  of course, it's ALL easier with the correct tools.

Yea it is good to be out with the guys and then to ride the trail later is great. Sometimes it’s a challenge to figure a way to get through a difficult section. Some places are dangerous but it’s to figure a way to connect to other trails. Another huge lesson is realizing we can cut for a few hours and it takes a minute to ride with the bike. It’s humbling. It’s like.. awe shit.. All that work and that’s all? Still little by little trails come together. Cutting trails do bond you though. It’s just friends doing so other riders can enjoy. 

• Like 3