1980 xr500r frankinbike for trails

I don't know what this motor is made of but it just won't die, doesn't puff either.

Which leads to where we are now, the original xr frame and suspension was worn out, front brake was literally in pieces. But it never failed to start, even pulled my buddies bikes home after they had gave out. 

I got this bike when I was 17, I am 31 now and it's still on the original engine parts. So I can't justify getting rid of it. 

Then I Found a kx250 rolling chassis for dirt cheap, had everything I needed to make my 500 "modern". 

Sure I could have bought two bikes for the amount of time alone I put into it but where's the fun right? 

Don't hate on the graphics it was a set that I had left over, it's getting some tank work done soon, and different front fender. Then some xr graphics.

IMG_20181221_234052011.jpg.a843e2e4ccdc5dc2dbd08f15cde81e49.jpgIMG_20181221_234122263.jpg.203e7b20f49c12af019858577fd08fc3.jpgIMG_20181216_190216885.jpg.99f08ed1ffaeeb28b0b2d15933577f96.jpg

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Good stuff. This used to be done 'back in the day' quite a bit. Here anyway.

XR motors found their way into lots of MX bikes. Great combo, good suspension/handling with the bulletproofness of the XR.

I did a DR400/KX125 conversion Myself many moons ago.

Brilliant. I love it. That is a great engine, now it has a much improved frame. Just have to keep the oil changed often in those.

I love it too!  Great job on the transformation.  The old Honda air-cooled thumpers are awesome.  They do eventually wear out but it takes a very long time, even if ridden hard... just give them basic maintenance!  Hard not to love something so tough and reliable.  Sometimes I miss my 1984 XR500R, what a monster.  Had it for 10 hard years and it never failed me.  Enjoy the "new ride"  LOL  :D

I have not put it on a scale yet, but i think it will be just a tad heavier then a new 450, just the xr engine alone I would assume is heavier. 

But It does not "feel" heavy when riding, I still would guess at least 250. 

It tames rock and root trails nice, spring rate is just little low for the weight so it has little more sag then ideal for mx but nice on the trails.