Cuong Ly

05 450x electric start issue with videos. (willing to paypal some money to the person who solve my issue)

starts and runs flawless with the kicker

new battery with jump box hook up

already checked the valve shims.

already checked the decompressor arm

installed new ricks motorsport starter brushes

here are youtube videos with my right side cover off.

Failed one-way starter clutch perhaps:

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1003876-why-starter-spinsworks-intermittently/?do=findComment&comment=10536915

link to parts fichehttps://www.partspitstop.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053fe8ef870021c54beaaaa/starting-clutch

items #5, 7, 8.

a band of thin springs holding the roller bearings on the outer perimeter of item #7 seams to be a somewhat common failure point.

Edited by mlatour

I just put a basket case 05 x together that did that after I did the ricks brush kit. Bike would kick start too. It would turn over 1.25 turns when trying the next morning and then would not get over the hump after just like the first vid.

I was told to turn in the decompressor adjuster a tiny bit and retry the starter. After readjusting like 5 times (like 12-4:00) it would turn over multiple revolutions with the button like normal. 

4 hours ago, mlatour said:

Failed one-way starter clutch perhaps:

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1003876-why-starter-spinsworks-intermittently/?do=findComment&comment=10536915

link to parts fichehttps://www.partspitstop.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053fe8ef870021c54beaaaa/starting-clutch

items #5, 7, 8.

a band of thin springs holding the roller bearings on the outer perimeter of item #7 seams to be a somewhat common failure point.

That’s mainly why I took off the right cover to check the pressed gear. Everything seems normal. Just can’t get it to turn over.

1 hour ago, 5Rs said:

I just put a basket case 05 x together that did that after I did the ricks brush kit. Bike would kick start too. It would turn over 1.25 turns when trying the next morning and then would not get over the hump after just like the first vid.

I was told to turn in the decompressor adjuster a tiny bit and retry the starter. After readjusting like 5 times (like 12-4:00) it would turn over multiple revolutions with the button like normal. 

I’ll check it again. Was planning to order a new oem starter.

I haven’t had that issue but recall a few issues by making sure the decomp adjuster is good. Some even said to go a tad loose (or tight, can’t remember exactly). Good luck to ya!

I was thinking the same thing, but the brush kit worked well enough to start the engine once the decomp was adjusted with less clearance. It doesn’t take much, but once it’s right it turns over correctly. I thought the battery was bad too glad I didn’t buy a new one. Doesn’t appear your pressed gear is slipping like in the vid. 

Edited by 5Rs

My bike started doing exactly that 6 months after rebuilding my starter with a Rick’s kit.  I just replaced with a new OEM starter and never another issue.

But mine sounded and acted exactly like that.  

Here are some pics. First 3 is my timing marks. Next four are my valves and decompressor clearance. Don’t mind the milky residue. It’s been sitting in the cold with the valve cover off.

Exhaust 0.011

Intake 0.006

Decompressor 0.011 + 0.0.14 

Battery is on a tender. I will do a compression test next. Maybe a leak down also.

683387C9-C42C-4CBD-AA65-BD518F4CEC17.jpeg

A06735BF-7B38-4C28-8A90-3C5FB95208C2.jpeg

283A21C6-7C67-4A13-87BA-2CFC5AB0CBF5.png

2F29F09D-E6A4-440A-912A-027F9ABAE8BD.jpeg

E4716926-F4FF-4833-A5D0-6BA588F5F4D7.jpeg

4887797E-486C-407C-AA03-AD4A3F7ACA15.png

0E6826E7-98B3-48E0-9D90-026AED411EFF.jpeg

Edited by Cuong Ly

Also where is the ground/ earth wire? Isn’t there one from the engine to the frame?

and Happy Holidays guys!

new battery with jump box hook up

From your video's and pic's, everything seems to check out and it appears the starter just doesn't have enough power. 

That could be a bad starter relay (burned contacts not passing full current), but you can check that easily enough by jumping the positive straight to the starter.

But it doesn't work doing that, then assuming you bought the correct battery with the required CCA's (Cold Cranking Amps),  replace the starter.  Besides the brushes, you have a stator and commutator in an electric motor, either of which can be shorted or open.

and from the video's, it looks like the starter just doesn't have enough umph.

Jim.

1 hour ago, 1hp said:

tighten your decompressor screw (clockwise) 1/8 turn. repeat until it turns over easily.

I’ve tried to get this point across. It costs nothing to try. 

I did the valve adjustment too.

pull your spark plug, does it turn the motor over multiple revolutions? Mine did. 

Less decomp clearance is all it takes..........

i got the suggestion from a guy on adv rider. Those guys aren’t any smarter than the guys here honest

Edited by 5Rs

My starter brushes went bad again. I’m going to order a brand new OEM one. What probably caused my starter to keep burning out? Most of the time the bike don’t even get a full rotation.

739E0C55-67F8-4D24-93DD-833B679B340E.jpeg

If anyone still wondering. I ordered the starter on the 28th. It still didn’t come in the mail yet.

3FC4A093-0E36-4FF4-9C05-EBF622B18FA0.png

5773C123-EE01-49E8-8112-61F11C94AF57.png

• Like 1

It lives. 2 months of bullshitting and it was the starter. 

I think I’m going to order a new positive cable also.

D90F3E5B-B31A-484B-81CA-DC6BA4D43312.png

• Like 3

I valve reshimmed this bike like 5 times already. Each time I reshimmed one valve another valve goes out of spec. As of right now. Here are my clearances

Exhaust Left: .011

Exhaust Right : .011

Intake Left: .003

Intake Right: .007

Decompressor Arm: .011 + .014 = .025