Bolts stuck in petrol tank.

I am trying to remove my 2013 Husqvarna petrol tank. However 3 of the small bolts holding the plastics on won’t wind out, they just turn in place. I suspect the brass threaded sockets are turning with the bolts. I don’t think the treads are stripped otherwise the bolts would just pull out. Any ideas?

IMG_0812.JPG

I had to cut the thread out with a soldering iron, and set them back in with JB Tank Weld. 

I dont know how you can get the threaded nuts out. But I know a guy who took theam all out, then filled the holes with plastic weld, drilled new smaller holes and since uses KTM screws. You know those who look like hex head wood screws....

Edited by Doc Brown
typo

Put a high speed drill on them and you’ll melt the plastic which will allow you to pull them out. Then reset with JD weld

On 12/27/2018 at 6:37 AM, 1 lunger said:

Put a high speed drill on them and you’ll melt the plastic which will allow you to pull them out. Then reset with JD weld

I did exactly that, and it worked great.

Sounds like the drill and some glue is the way to go. Thanks for the advice. I’ll let you know how I get on.

I just saw a new method on Instagram today. They put a Dremel on the bolt to heat up the surrounding plastic, then just pulled the whole thing out with pliers. Could be slightly cleaner than spinning the whole insert. Or the only clean option if you can't spin the insert for some reason.

The drill and the glue work well. Thanks for everyones advice. Photos below. Before drilling I put a bit of oil around the nut and plastic to stop it melting the red plastic cause the inserts get really hot. I managed to pry the bolt and inserts out by using two screwdrivers. Getting the inserts back in was the tricky bit. I had to cut the whole open a bit more with a craft knife and belt the insert, including the bolt, in with a hammer. I think I’ll just tighten the bolts up finger tight from now on!
IMG_0883.JPGIMG_0884.JPGIMG_0885.JPGIMG_0886.JPGIMG_0887.JPG

• Like 1

I had this happen to a ‘99 Cagiva Gran Canyon.

The easy fix relative to this KTM is the use of a soldering iron. Heat the metal bolt/barb up to about 150-160f and the bolt should release and slip out, tugging on it with pliers.

But for the Cagiva, drill and tap the plastic.

The challenge on the Cagiva was this: The Italians made the tanks out of Nylon. There’s only two known glues that will bond to nylon. One is Tech Bond. It will make super strong, permanent bonds to Nylon.

JB Weld will not stick to nylon. Nor other epoxies like West Systems. Ethanol-based fuels are big problem for most of the glues/epoxies available at auto parts stores as well.

Not sure what KTM made made this tank out. Let’s pray it’s not nylon and the applied JB Weld epoxy stays put.

I thought some tanks were made from HDPE (high-density polyethylene). the only way I know to attach anything was to plastic weld.  HDPE is the same material that they use for natural gas lines buried in the ground and they heat both ends of the pipe up with a heated "pancake" and then push them together to make the "weld". They use a machine that cuts the ends square and also pushed them together.  It is a very tough material but I don't think anything will stick to it.  I had an oversized tank that someone drilled through one of the mounting holes and I plastic welded a new plug in the mounting area.

Not the best picture. The only one I could find on my phone. 

IMG_20140513_163902020_HDR.jpg

I used JB WaterWeld. Working well. I was hoping OP would use TankWeld, because it’s meant for this application and I’d like to see how it does.

I stood for a while at the shop choosing a suitable glue. They didn't have TankWeld. The Marine one seemed the most suitable that was available.