Cam Specs .... Why Not....

1 hour ago, mixxer said:

Gotta throw another variable in the mix Ricky....

The people who report flow testing on the the 230 intake port have said the limit to increased flow with increased lift is at the .300" mark...

That means that even if you lift the valve to .500"... You aren't getting any more flow than at .300" lift ... Assuming similar duration at lift....

So for people without correct port work done... Duration is all they have to consider in a cam for the 230... Because they are maxed out on port flow volume at .300"..... Lol...

Given the small lift difference in the measurement point for the 2 cams...  I'm pretty sure the duration of the intake is quite similar...

Yes I usually forget most on here have rather stock engines LOL BUT with more lift same duration you get the valve open in the sweet spot longer.........................

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think that GreenHuman should get some cams made too... As long as he is sourcing/ specing out pistons and stroker kits.... Should do cams too!!

That's what HotCams does... I'm certain they are all made in Taiwan....

I would be first in line to buy a GreenHuman billet cam for the 230.... 

Plus I just know AdnohGuy would love to have a custom one made with enough lift to open the valves on the bike in front of him....

• Like 3

Mixxer I took your advice regarding the Hotcams 1059-1

I was looking on Amazon and it had 1 left for $63.24...I figured it was a typo so I snapped it up. I went back to repurchase and its at $200.00 now? 

Anyways I am waiting on delivery of my new $63.24 camshaft! (Go figure)

I value you and Rickey Racers opinions, but you two disagree on this camshaft.

He says it will kill my low end torque and you say the opposite???

My motor is stock right now. 

Since I mainly do low speed tight trails, I need all the low end I can get and don't want to shift the power band.

What can I expect from this camshaft?

Thanks   

Mixxer I took your advice regarding the Hotcams 1059-1
I was looking on Amazon and it had 1 left for $63.24...I figured it was a typo so I snapped it up. I went back to repurchase and its at $200.00 now? 
Anyways I am waiting on delivery of my new $63.24 camshaft! (Go figure)
I value you and Rickey Racers opinions, but you two disagree on this camshaft.
He says it will kill my low end torque and you say the opposite???
My motor is stock right now. 
Since I mainly do low speed tight trails, I need all the low end I can get and don't want to shift the power band.
What can I expect from this camshaft?
Thanks   

A cam shaft is only one part of the equation and depends on what’s else has been done or what is going to be done to the engine.
All components have to work together in harmony to achieve the type of power your looking for.

I have my opinion on the cam you ordered but will reserve my opinion on how I think it will work because I don’t have a clue about the “ rest of the story” on your build.

IMHO, I do believe that I know what does work well together in a 230, but like I stated above, I don’t know what your goal is or what else your doing to achieve that goal.

(But be happy that your choice was not a BBR cam or there valve springs.)

21 minutes ago, adnohguy said:

A cam shaft is only one part of the equation and depends on what’s else has been done or what is going to be done to the engine.
All components have to work together in harmony to achieve the type of power your looking for.

I have my opinion on the cam you ordered but will reserve my opinion on how I think it will work because I don’t have a clue about the “ rest of the story” on your build.

IMHO, I do believe that I know what does work well together in a 230, but like I stated above, I don’t know what your goal is or what else your doing to achieve that goal.

(But be happy that your choice was not a BBR cam or there valve springs.)

Bummer...it sounds to me like you are saying $63.24 wasted!!!

Bummer...it sounds to me like you are saying $63.24 wasted!!!

Not at all, that’s not what I was trying to convey.

Simply:

If you bike is completely stock then with most any cam, you may be able to tell the difference in the way it runs.

If your bike is not completely stock then since I do not have a clue about your bike, I cannot even guess at how it will run?

If you don’t want to let me know about you bike mods as far as the engine is concerned, fine but I’m not going to list every possible scenario with every possible combination.

If you do want my opinion but choose for me not to share it for all to read then simply PM me.

You say that your bike is “Completely Stock”

What does that mean? Like it came from the show room floor?

Literally put gas in the tank and ride?

Nothing else?

No plans for the future?

You asked for expectations.

Just trying to help answer that question with out guessing.

4 minutes ago, adnohguy said:

Not at all, that’s not what I was trying to convey.
Simply:
If you bike is completely stock then with most any cam you may be able to tell the difference in the way it runs.

If your bike is not completely stock then since I do not have a clue about your bike, I cannot even guess at how it will run?

If you don’t want to let me know about you bike mods as far as the engine is concerned, fine but I’m not going to list every possible scenario with every possible combination.
If you do want my opinion but choose for me not to share it for all to read then simply PM me.

Hello Adnohguy,

Mods so far:

California street legal 2004 CRF230F

I have spent my money dialing in the suspension. 150R front end, Hagon rear shock

Skid plate...Its rocky were I ride.

The bike is bone stock right now but I have a box full of parts waiting to go on.

Athena big bore kit 

PD03 pumper carb

Pro Com box

Twin air filter

EO Power ring

Picked up a used round canister BBR complete exhaust system (From my understanding I can take off the end cap and run it with the power ring or even stock insert if I wanted to go super quiet)

Soon to arrive Hot cams 1059-1

un cork air box

Stock gearing

I just do slow speed tight trail riding. Looking for the torque feel of the XR400 I owned. I would like to be able to roll on the throttle and lift the front wheel (Did not like the of size of the 400)

I am definitely opened to advice that is why I am posting. I bought most of my upgrades from opinions I received on this forum.

I understand what one rider likes another might hate. Hopefully I can come up with a mild combination that will give me that low end grunt!!! 

Thanks

• Like 1

Coming soon:

To fill a Void left by Terry Miller,

Greenhuman is working with his sources for 6 billet cams from mild to wild for the 230’s, 4 that are drop in and ride, 3 that will take a lot of work to install for the “Big strokers”

(Like I like to use)

All to be Sold outright with no core charge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adnohguy said:

Coming soon:

To fill a Void left by Terry Miller,

Greenhuman is working with his sources for 6 billet cams from mild to wild for the 230’s, 4 that are drop in and ride, 3 that will take a lot of work to install for the “Big strokers”

(Like I like to use)

All to be Sold outright with no core charge.

Freaking awesome news!!

I will be happy to pull that hard welded web out of my bike... And install it in my pond....

14 hours ago, mixxer said:

Your cam should work fantastic for that setup...

Tons of torque over a wide band...

Excellent.

I had a XR400 and loved the low end torque of the motor. It would lift the front wheel even in third just by rolling on the throttle.

I sold it and bought a Yamaha WR250R dual sport...total opposite! NO low end, it will not even do a roll on wheelie in first! ( I do like the bike, just don't like the lack of low end)  

Last year was my first riding season on my CRF230.

After reading about the poor suspension, I addressed that right away and really enjoyed riding the 230

For this riding season looking for a bit more tractor feel or as Vortec says mini XR600 pulling power

• Like 1

• 3 months later...