2018 FE 450 engine light on after exhaust mod

I have a 2018 Husqvarna Fe450. I modified the exhaust by removing the restrictor cone in the middle of the muffler and I also removed the double screen in the muffler end. Bike runs great but I’m getting 5 long blinks and 3 short blinks on the error light. I notice that the cooling fan comes on almost immediately and stays on all the time. Any ideas on what I should do? This is a brand new bike and I put 4 15 minute heat cycles on it and changed the oil, filter, screen before modding the muffler. I tried doing the static calibration and read that sometimes you just need to put some riding hours on it. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Bike has 50 miles on it. 

I found this post and it may relate to the problem you are having with your bike. I would contact the dealer

I have the same bike as you but have not had any fault codes, I removed the purge solenoid on my bike as I’m using a vortex ecu.

Edited by Dublin Doyle

I have a 2019 FE 501 and removed the air box restrictor and installed a FMF 4.1 pipe.  Did the emissions delete and upped the TPS sensor from 5.3 to 7.2.  Bike runs perfect, no errors or problems.  You do need to up the fuel when you either increase air flow or reduce exhaust back pressure.  I don’t believe you would get any codes from just eliminating exhaust baffles.  I think it may be unrelated to your problem.

I ordered the vortex ecu (not yet received).  But since writing this post about the error code blinking 5 long 3 short, i went riding deep into the woods and found myself with a dead bike.  Had to be towed out and then flat bedded home.   I believe the reason the bike is not firing (cranks fine) is that there is silence when the key is turned on.   I think my fuel pump died.   Its going back to dealer tomorrow as the bike is still 5 days old.  I am curious what kinds of things i should remove/disable after i get the bike fixed and then install the vortex ecu.   I heard about removing the purge solenoid.  I plan to remove the intake reeds and plug the fuel injector air intake as prescribed by ktmandhusky.com but I am also curious if the vortex has a hookup for an O2 sensore welded into the exhaust or if the O2 sensor gets plugged into something else to improve A/F ratio.   please let me know.   Thanks

Edited by Frank Miele

Yup, it was a fried ECU (they call it the ECM).  Husqvarna is going to make the dealer jump through a few hoops and then they'll get the new ECU installed. I'm sure it'll take some time to get a new one delivered, but hopefully not.  And especially because I'm going to replace the ECU with a Vortex box.  I'm curious if anyone has tried taking a FC450 stock muffler and installing it on the FE450.  I am pretty sure it's not the same configuration size etc, so it would require some adapting to get the head pipe to extend up to the standard mounts, but then again, it might be easier to simply mount it where the pipe naturally ends and then re-weld / relocate the mounting tabs on the can so that one of them meets the first mounting hole.  After that modification, it would free up the 2nd hole to use as a mount for a cool rack I want to fabricate.  It's the winter time and I could use a custom challenge like this.

Ordered a stock can from an FC 450 to put on my FE 450.  It should flow a lot better and with increased fuel from the vortex and increased air after removal of reeds, should feel like a motocross bike. Still waiting for dealer to install new ECU.  Probably weeks from getting the austrians to deliver the unit.  This is why I bought the bike in winter.   I like to use the winter to ensure the bikes are ready for summer.  

• 2 weeks later...

Installed vortex.  Found it most exhilarating on Map 6 with trimmed up L6 M7 H9.  It was initially bogging at WOT and when i stepped up the Hi knob to 8 it started to rev all the way to redline.  I also bought a FC450 stock muffler on eBay and it bolts right up perfectly.  That muffler flows way better than the stock one even after I punched out the cone.   I also removed the reeds in the intake so the bike is very responsive on the throttle from idle to redline.   So far very happy with the mods.  Shoutout to KTMandhusky.com for all of the tutorials.    

134CA1C4-ED8A-48F5-8075-D96D81DA4048.jpeg

Edited by Frank Miele

I have the same bike. The bike was a dog out of the box. I did the full smog delete install the vortex put a fmf 4.1 muffler and geared the with a 13 front 50 rear. The bike is a complete animal now. The bike needs to be opened up to feel it’s full patently.

I have the same bike. The bike was a dog out of the box. I did the full smog delete install the vortex put a fmf 4.1 muffler and geared the with a 13 front 50 rear. The bike is a complete animal now. The bike needs to be opened up to feel it’s full patently.

Ib56712871937__6C6FB7E8-A789-4F4D-A47A-738B8EC6A2AA.JPG
  • Like 1

How does the 13/50 do on the highway.  With stock gearing I can cruise at 70 all day.   What about just subtracting 1 tooth in the front and leaving rear factory   I did that on my ducati and it made a big difference.  These changes can be super subtle in principle and yield a big difference.    

If the stock confuration is 14/45, that’s 3.21 final drive.  If i go 13/45 that’s 3.47 final drive.   This would be an 8% improvement in acceleration.  

Ideas?

Edited by Frank Miele

How does the 13/50 do on the highway.  With stock gearing I can cruise at 70 all day.   What about just subtracting 1 tooth in the front and leaving rear factory   I did that on my ducati and it made a big difference.  These changes can be super subtle in principle and yield a big difference.    

If the stock confuration is 14/45, that’s 3.21 final drive.  If i go 13/45 that’s 3.47 final drive.   This would be an 8% improvement in acceleration.  
Ideas?

I ride a lot of tight single track and hill climbing trails. So i like have more control and torque in the bottom end. It did hurt the top end a little bit not bad. It still will cruise 70 in sixth gear no problem. But i also don’t ride it on the street very often so it all depends on what you ride the most

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:25 PM, Frank Miele said:

Too bad i can’t get a credit for the bad one since Im going to replace it with a vortex anyway.  I will update after i get the dealer service. 

You need the stock ECU for any service. Dealer can't commutate with a Vortex.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:20 AM, Frank Miele said:

Yup, it was a fried ECU (they call it the ECM).  Husqvarna is going to make the dealer jump through a few hoops and then they'll get the new ECU installed. I'm sure it'll take some time to get a new one delivered, but hopefully not.  And especially because I'm going to replace the ECU with a Vortex box.  I'm curious if anyone has tried taking a FC450 stock muffler and installing it on the FE450.  I am pretty sure it's not the same configuration size etc, so it would require some adapting to get the head pipe to extend up to the standard mounts, but then again, it might be easier to simply mount it where the pipe naturally ends and then re-weld / relocate the mounting tabs on the can so that one of them meets the first mounting hole.  After that modification, it would free up the 2nd hole to use as a mount for a cool rack I want to fabricate.  It's the winter time and I could use a custom challenge like this.

Full exhaust will not fit because of the starter casting on the cases.

Yup.  Any service needs from here and I’ll promptly reinstall the stock ECU.  As for the motocross muffler, it hooks up with zero modification to my stock head pipe.   Installed my 13 tooth front sprocket yesterday and just need for Spring to get here so I can hit the trails.   

Edited by Frank Miele

I wanted to see if anyone has some vortex tuning recommendations.   I was able to get a very satisfying power curve but after i installed a -1 tooth feont speocket (14 tooth replaced with a 13 tooth sprocket), i started to experience a flattening out of the power at higher RPM.  I adjusted the fuel trim on the high dial from 9 to max at 10.   It’s now performing nicely but it could probably use a tiny bit more fuel up top.   Wondering if there is a way to boost the fuel a little higher or perhaps restrict the air intake a little.   Has anyone else had this experience.   I have a stock FC450 muffler and no intake reeds so I could handle even for fuel but I don’t know if that’s possible.   My vortex ignation map is set at #5 position.  

2 hours ago, Frank Miele said:

I wanted to see if anyone has some vortex tuning recommendations.   I was able to get a very satisfying power curve but after i installed a -1 tooth feont speocket (14 tooth replaced with a 13 tooth sprocket), i started to experience a flattening out of the power at higher RPM.  I adjusted the fuel trim on the high dial from 9 to max at 10.   It’s now performing nicely but it could probably use a tiny bit more fuel up top.   Wondering if there is a way to boost the fuel a little higher or perhaps restrict the air intake a little.   Has anyone else had this experience.   I have a stock FC450 muffler and no intake reeds so I could handle even for fuel but I don’t know if that’s possible.   My vortex ignation map is set at #5 position.  

I would talk to jeff at pr2 racing regarding a different tune on the vortex.