Okay so I have just got a 2003 Yamaha wrf450, it's my first proper bike and just want to know what I have to do to keep it running good, I'm buying a hour metre to go on it but would like to know when to service it or do what ever I need to, the person I got it off said that it had top end rebuild 6 hours ago, just want to know before I start riding it so I know it won't stuff up on me, I know that the start motor goes on them and I think this ones gone I'll be replacing it with an 04 model starter but if anyone could give me information on servicing or anything let me know please and thank you.

Andrew.

received_338359406996262.jpeg

Pull the side cover and check the starter gears, and the idler boss. I had to replace several parts in mine after it kicked back and broke them... Otherwise, check the valve clearance now, and again at 15 hours. Should be no to minimal change. These are a pretty durable bike, regular maintenance is all they need.

I have a 07 wr450 myself.  For maintenance I'd change the oil and filter every couple of rides unless you go to the dunes then change it every trip. The swingarm and linkage bushings/bearings should probably be replaced or at least checked and re greased. Along with the upper and lower shock bushings/bearing. Wheel bearings.

On 12/30/2018 at 1:49 AM, RichBaker said:

Pull the side cover and check the starter gears, and the idler boss. I had to replace several parts in mine after it kicked back and broke them... Otherwise, check the valve clearance now, and again at 15 hours. Should be no to minimal change. These are a pretty durable bike, regular maintenance is all they need.

Thanks man, and are you talking about it kicking back with the electric start? the fella i got it off said its noisy as &%$#@! and before i got it i done a little research and seen that the starter &%$#@!ed up, i put a new battery in and it sounded &%$#@!ed, i didnt keep trying after that i just didnt even connect the battery, but the kick start works perfect, ill get around to replacint the starter motor, lets hope theres not a few things &%$#@!ed, iv seen that alot of people have replaced them with 04 model starter motors because they offer some kick back tension thing or some shit haha torque limiter ?

Edited by Freshkids

18 hours ago, UPSWR450 said:

I have a 07 wr450 myself.  For maintenance I'd change the oil and filter every couple of rides unless you go to the dunes then change it every trip. The swingarm and linkage bushings/bearings should probably be replaced or at least checked and re greased. Along with the upper and lower shock bushings/bearing. Wheel bearings.

thanks for that bro ill do that before i start riding it, i got a bit of time to look it over since i cant ride at the moment due to a collapsed lung haha  

5 hours ago, Freshkids said:

Thanks man, and are you talking about it kicking back with the electric start? the fella i got it off said its noisy as &%$#@! and before i got it i done a little research and seen that the starter &%$#@!ed up, i put a new battery in and it sounded &%$#@!ed, i didnt keep trying after that i just didnt even connect the battery, but the kick start works perfect, ill get around to replacint the starter motor, lets hope theres not a few things &%$#@!ed, iv seen that alot of people have replaced them with 04 model starter motors because they offer some kick back tension thing or some shit haha torque limiter ?

Kicking back using e start. Broke the idler gear, the boss in the sidecase and a couple other parts needed to be replaced. Yamaha wouldn't do anything, but the dealer sold me the parts at cost. I put in all the 04 parts, never had any problems since. I put a Shorai in when the battery died, she's my dual sport these days.

The only thing still original in the estart gear train is the starter. The original design of the idler gear didn't work...

Edited by RichBaker

Stock the 03's would shear the flywheel key.  Mine did and I had a long push back.

The fix was a different starter idler gear I think it was an 04.

Other that it was a pretty reliable bike.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, RichBaker said:

Kicking back using e start. Broke the idler gear, the boss in the sidecase and a couple other parts needed to be replaced. Yamaha wouldn't do anything, but the dealer sold me the parts at cost. I put in all the 04 parts, never had any problems since. I put a Shorai in when the battery died, she's my dual sport these days.

The only thing still original in the estart gear train is the starter. The original design of the idler gear didn't work...

did you put in a 04 starter or just the parts? I don't know if I should get a starter motor or not as well, how much would the parts set me back? And can you tell if it's stuffed other parts before it's pulled apart? Cause the kick start still works on mine and no trouble starting and riding it 

Edited by Freshkids

2 hours ago, beezer said:

Stock the 03's would shear the flywheel key.  Mine did and I had a long push back.

So not the 03 starter replaced just the idler gear? 

2 hours ago, Freshkids said:

did you put in a 04 starter or just the parts? I don't know if I should get a starter motor or not as well, how much would the parts set me back? And can you tell if it's stuffed other parts before it's pulled apart? Cause the kick start still works on mine and no trouble starting and riding it 

I did NOT touch the starter motor. The problem was the idler gear, and asociated GEARS, the starter motor is OK. Take the side cover off, and look at the gears and sidecase, leave the MOTOR alone. Don't order any parts until you inspect............ You will see the broken gears.

How old are you?

• Helpful 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, beezer said:

Mine did NOT shear the key, it broke the sidecase boss and the idler gear...

I still have all the parts, somewhere.... 

Edited by RichBaker

17 hours ago, RichBaker said:

I did NOT touch the starter motor. The problem was the idler gear, and asociated GEARS, the starter motor is OK. Take the side cover off, and look at the gears and sidecase, leave the MOTOR alone. Don't order any parts until you inspect............ You will see the broken gears.

How old are you?

I'm 22 bro I grew up on small chinese bikes this is my first proper one just didn't want it stuffing up on me, I use to rebuild my bikes and stuff this might be a bit more complicated but I should be able to manage doing everything 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Freshkids said:

I'm 22 bro I grew up on small chinese bikes this is my first proper one just didn't want it stuffing up on me, I use to rebuild my bikes and stuff this might be a bit more complicated but I should be able to manage doing everything 

It'll be pretty obvious when you get it apart.... Missing teeth on gears,cracked or broken boss. The missing tooth showed up on the magnetic drain plug. 

I still have the parts, somewhere...

39 minutes ago, RichBaker said:

It'll be pretty obvious when you get it apart.... Missing teeth on gears,cracked or broken boss. The missing tooth showed up on the magnetic drain plug. 

I still have the parts, somewhere...

Sweet as, if you come across the parts could you post a picture please mate 

Congrats you got yourself one reliable machine, ive ridden everything yzf from the yz400f to the current fi yzfs, they have always treated me well, i personally never trust someone i buy a bike from, most of the time they will say its rebuilt, has new crank piston ect. Until i open them up and find out otherwise, so first thing you want to to is change the oil, pull the oil filter out inspect it for metal shavings, then i would pull the air filter clean it oil it and grease the rim (the part that touches the airbox) check coolant make sure its topped off, then check the valves or have shop do it, its very important to watch them, lucky for you yamaha has a awesome head but still check the clearences every 15 hrs, if it gets hard to start thats a good indicator. Other than that the bike is rock solid oh yeah dont leave fuel in it for long periods of time unless you want carb issues hope it helps