Shop setups?

Great subject Braiden and lots of good replies.  Are you in a rural area where you can keep adding on?   Most of find ourselves half-ass shops which is reallly 10% of a two car garage.  Dirt bikes in front of cars, small work bench piled with stuff, etc. Many of us are needing a storage building / shop just for bikes etc. just like you are building.   ......thanks for the thread and motivation to end 2018.   I plan on building motorcycle specific sheds - shops - man caves for 2019.

Yes i am. Up in Nor Cal. But i doubt i add on to it because im graduating from high school early so ill be out of the house in a year and am going to idaho to work all summer. But yes definitely go for it! Mines a dinky 8 by 16 foot shed with wood i bought from payless building supply out of their scrap pile, The beams are twisted but i mean they were cheap. And its not even insulated so id figure out what your wanting to do right now because it took a while to put the plan into motion so the sooner you have the plan the sooner you can have the shed!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TX-SANDMAN said:

Great subject Braiden and lots of good replies.  Are you in a rural area where you can keep adding on?   Most of find ourselves half-ass shops which is reallly 10% of a two car garage.  Dirt bikes in front of cars, small work bench piled with stuff, etc. Many of us are needing a storage building / shop just for bikes etc. just like you are building.   ......thanks for the thread and motivation to end 2018.   I plan on building motorcycle specific sheds - shops - man caves for 2019.

You talking about building commercially for others? If so you will have more work than you can handle, the demand is there. The real issue will be devising a marketing plan to reach potential customers getting started. If you target the right market one job will lead to another.

On 12/29/2018 at 7:59 PM, luckypunk said:

so I lucked out on a few items when I built. my bench, the drawers are from a dentist office that was being remodeled, really nice ballbearing drawers, tons of tool storage, they were going to throw away so got them for free, same with the trash can (Pennzoil lube can), went by jiffy lube and asked to buy one, they gave it to me for free.  As other replies mentioned, If that was my shop I'd deal with the floor first and generally securing the whole structure, Ideally get the floor flat enough to get one of the short stools, mega useful/comfortable. also

shop.jpg

Those Pennzoil drums are great, got mine the same way. I bought some automotive radiator hose to line the lip and it makes an excellent tire changing stand. The rest of the time, it's the shop trash can.

Ya this topic comes up fairly frequently and I'm always a slightly bit jealous seeing some of the shop setups BUT I'm lucky to be able to have the place I rent/live. (cheap rent/land lords that love me/the whole backyard and a safe/dry place to store/work on my bikes).

Stuff I need for regular maintenance fairly well organized, old pieces of carpet as needed, cheap adjustable stool, LED lights I can setup if needed.

20181231_100517.thumb.jpg.583621fa1b0d7e1f75d4ea723c992387.jpg

I know my limitations and I'm also lucky enough to have some good buds who have full shops I can take the bike(s), van etc to with a case of beer ?

Long story but was on a 5 day dirt bike/camping trip a few years ago and broke the sub frame. Had the tools with me to patch it up for the last day of the ride. Took the bike (with a case of beer) to a buddies shop who does marine repair work and they machined an aluminum plug, welded and straightened and I had to force him to take the case of beer.

20160804_171729_zpszfcrcytk.thumb.JPG.31f8fd26b9bc77c2c4a540e20ad2c4c3.JPG20160817_185907_zpsaxvoqokx.JPG.3b99eb26e111ba9ce2ec2c383fe464a5.JPG

Anyway Happy New Years :)

You've received great advice... the carpet will help. If you can't pour a concrete slab, cement a big hole with a ring/chain in it to lock your bike to... This is my garage/living room/studio with rug floor. But I'd suggest one without such a complex pattern, little bolts and stuff tend to blend...  :^ \

TWMeyer-20181021-3313.jpg

• Like 2

Braiden, good job setting up your space to work.  For 16 you're going in the right direction on getting your workspace setup.  I agree with the guys though, you got to get that floor taken care of, dust will get into everything.  Plywood or old carpet will work on the cheap/free.

For small spaces the #1 thing is organization.  Have a place for everything - tools, fluids, parts and workspace - and keep the area uncluttered.  That means you'll have to clean up after working on stuff, wipe your tools down and put them in their place.  A small shop will become a mess fast unless you stay ahead of it.  You're already on point by using the wall space for tool racks, good job.  Consider an overhead storage/shelf - use a "L" bracket and a piece of 1x.

From here there are some essentials:

Lighting - you NEED good lighting to see what you're working on.  Plus it'll bring a positive vibe to your shop.  It's not fun working a dimly lit and cold space, frustrating actually.  I installed new LEDS to my 1bulb garage and it was like I moved to a whole new world.  So, you have options. 

- 4' LED light that you hang, plug and play.  Run an extension cord from the house.  Plug it in when you're out there, unplug when you close it down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076BN4XWZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- If running temporary power isn't an option, try a handheld Braun LED worklight.  It actually use to only be $20 but it is great and everyone bought it so it went up   https://www.harborfreight.com/390-lumen-magnetic-slim-bar-folding-led-worklight-63958.html

That being the case, try using a coupon to get it a little cheaper:  https://www.hfqpdb.com/

-  If that is still out of range, use a good old head lamp from Walmart.  I use one up and under the truck or in tight spaces.

Workbench -  An old door on top of two small filing cabinets will work.  But you need a bench so you can get off the floor.  There's lots of ways to skin this cat.  Search craiglist for people throwing out office desks and pick it up.  Or even thrown out materials to build something.

Another option build a simple 2x4 frame:  http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20xl.html

I've done that one and it lasted forever.  I even put it on casters and changed out the top for a 1" thick, it was like my center island that I moved everywhere.

These days I use a 2x4 ladder frame mounted to wall stud w cedar post legs for support, topped with 3/4 birch ply.

Vise - An invaluable tool.  Mount it to a sturdy bench or cement a post into the ground and mount.  Mount it to a receive hitch square tube and build a slot for it on the bench so you can remove it or use it when you need and get it out of the way when you don't.

Tools - I got started with a Craftman tool set (127pc I think) my Dad gave me one Christmas when I was in high school.  Had ratchets, sockets, driver and bits, spark plug socket and a few common wrenches.  It got me through college where I took care of all my basic maintenance small repairs on my truck.  I still have and use that tool set.  I used it as the central point of what I built my current garage around.  So, have a basic socket set, wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, allen wrenches and you can do a lot of work You'll build your collection by purchasing/acquiring the tool you NEED at the time.  Don't get sidetracked by farkles and sparkly stuff and the dreamy things you imagine doing - stick with what you need and the rest will take care of itself. 

If you really want to get hooked on getting your shop really setup, there's a good forum that is very informative that I can recommend you put in your bookmarks.  LMK.  Any questions, just ask.

Funny about the bike in the house, I got mine in the living room now to put on new graphics - it's cold in the garage!   

Oh that reminds me, the propane heater from Academy is actually a really good unit.  Use it my buddy's garage doing woodwork

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mr-heater-portable-buddy-propane-heater#repChildCatid=26006

Edited by Monica
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Monica said:

I installed new LEDS to my 1bulb garage and it was like I moved to a whole new world.  So, you have options. 

I did this in summer. Put up a 2ft and 4ft. What a game changer that was!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, I'm trying said:

I did this in summer. Put up a 2ft and 4ft. What a game changer that was!

This is my buddies non-commerical butcher shop he is just finishing and I got him a bunch of 4 and 6 lamp T5 high bay fixtures ($100 CAD c/w lamps) and these are super bright. Not quite as energy efficient as LED but when the 5000K T5 fluorescent's eventually burn out you can replace with 5000K T5 LEDS for about $4 each.

IMG_0545.thumb.jpg.c9a293b4d034dbfedacd751aef8fbbce.jpg

Hes got them in his actual garage/shop and there is pretty much nothing the dude can't make/fix and looks disorganized but he's got stuff labeled etc etc and where I take my bike/van with a case of beer if I need to get serious ?

20160322_162459.jpg.94db0d037747269a5fad7015eeb0aaf5.jpg20160322_162451.jpg.924de696cdee4d861e4fd777f85ea25b.jpg20160322_162432.jpg.f4f065d532d163a7d551ef4109d0fb80.jpg

Happy New Beers

Edited by filterx

You are on the right track, fun to watch a young guy get started. You inspired me to install another light as one side of the bike is not as  well lit as the other. That makes a difference as you get older. I will mention a few luxury items to look forward to. 

1. Smart TV for football, and youtube to watch how to videos

2. An ottoman to put your feet up (for circulation purposes)  

3. A computer to google all the things you have never done before and need find unreliable advise from complete strangers / order parts. 

3. 20190101_141107.thumb.jpg.55a566531a49f0372b9aa4ba3eac8657.jpg

One step at a time. I grew up with nothing and had fun with what I had. Now I have scratched together a decent setup. I am confident you will do the same if you work hard. Motorcycles are not the most important things in life, but they are fun. 

• Like 2

I'm thinking about a cheap/small-ish TV (or big computer monitor) and a RasPi behind it, cheap wireless keyboard/mouse on the bench. 

Not a computing powerhouse, but enough for remote access to machines in the house, streaming music/youtube/pandora, going through PDF service manuals, or looking up parts online.

Bare-bones raspi is about $35, or buy the whole kit with case, SD card, and power supply for about $100.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 3:09 PM, RudderFeet said:

Buy 2,348 10mm sockets.  You’ll lose most of them in the first year ?.

Serioisly though, I love your attitude - like others have said, you’ll do well in life if you keep that spark alive.  Older guys will resonate with it and often give you free hand-me-down materials and tools because that’s just how we roll. ??

Once I've got at least three 10mm sockets, I stopped losing them, but it you've only got one, it's lost for sure. Plus, after my son moved out, my tools seem to not get lost anymore. 

Due to a low budget 7 years ago, I made my work bench out of free pallets and other found wood from dumpsters at construction sites. Still use it today as my main bench. It evolved over time. Eventually I got my hands on some thin plywood to go on top, and more wood to make the bottom shelf.

IMG_20190102_063938.jpg

Parts washer, and a nice bench IMG_0001.thumb.JPG.45be8ce26dcdd27f45d2301bda40e27a.JPGIMG_0001.thumb.JPG.4b6c48ec19c9e562e027255fecf62fb8.JPGIMG_0001.thumb.JPG.35701c3911d3d652bae60a3ccf78d847.JPG

Ive got my hands for a parts washer[emoji23] no point on spending $150 on something i can already do with a 75 cent wire brush and a $5 bottle of their respective cleaners or even starter fluid (can use it for many things since it dissipates) im sure itd be nice though! But if i can do without then i might as well so i dont have to spend even more $. Hopefully in the future i can afford one!

Due to a low budget 7 years ago, I made my work bench out of free pallets and other found wood from dumpsters at construction sites. Still use it today as my main bench. It evolved over time. Eventually I got my hands on some thin plywood to go on top, and more wood to make the bottom shelf.
IMG_20190102_063938.jpg.1a199787480ba75f0d030c4c92c1d9ac.jpg

Pallets are the best! Built so many things with them (corner TV stand, printer shelf, kitchen shelf, book shelf, night stands, portable bmx jumps and sooo many more!) but even not on a tight budget theres no point in paying top dollar for redwood or something of the likes from a lumber yard when you can get pallets for free or at least very cheap. This way you can buy more parts for your bike!

6 minutes ago, braidencarter8 said:

Ive got my hands for a parts washeremoji23.png no point on spending $150 on something i can already do with a 75 cent wire brush and a $5 bottle of their respective cleaners or even starter fluid (can use it for many things since it dissipates) im sure itd be nice though! But if i can do without then i might as well so i dont have to spend even more $. Hopefully in the future i can afford one!

A parts washer would be nice, but as far as "luxury" shop items go, an air compressor is a must have IMHO. I buy the inexpensive ones from Harbor Freight (Central Pneumatic), they work great and last many many years if cared for. Get one with enough capacity to run small air tools (8 gallons will do it) and you'll be able to replace your own seat covers, do tire changes more easily, blow the bike off after washing it, etc. Great for non-moto stuff too (like airing up car tires, blowing dust out of electronics, etc.)

Most important you’ve given your bike shelter, you’ve accomplished that, well done!

For the floor, a low cost alternative is soil cement, this could even be a permanent solution.  Google “soil cement” for instructions, it’ll take some elbow grease to get it done but won’t cost you more then probably 10 bags of Portland cement, so a very cheap solution.

A parts washer would be nice, but as far as "luxury" shop items go, an air compressor is a must have IMHO. I buy the inexpensive ones from Harbor Freight (Central Pneumatic), they work great and last many many years if cared for. Get one with enough capacity to run small air tools (8 gallons will do it) and you'll be able to replace your own seat covers, do tire changes more easily, blow the bike off after washing it, etc. Great for non-moto stuff too (like airing up car tires, blowing dust out of electronics, etc.)

Yup! I have the exact same one some. Cost like 70 bucks or something and ive had it for about 4 years or so
  • Like 1

I'm lucky to have a 3-car garage.  Use the single side for the workshop.  I have a trailer to haul the bikes and can park it right over the lift (bikes loaded).

You have a nice start to a work area and plenty of great suggestions.  Most definitely get some type of flooring down.

IMG_20180531_215223872.jpg

JOELrobertBREMMER.jpg

• Like 1