Wires on inside of tire

I installed a new Dunlop mx52 on my bike a while ago it has 2 harescrambles and about 5 hours of play riding on it. I checked the bike over last night before I went riding today and the rear tire was flat. I figured maybe since it’s been a while since I rode I just pumped it up when I when out this morning it was flat so I figured I had run over something and punched a hole in the tube. So I went ahead and pulled the old tube out and when I looked in the tire I could see the steel wires that are inside of the tire and I had one that was sticking out enough to mess up my tube. Again the tire isn’t very old and I have never seen this before has anyone else had this happen before? If so were you able to get the tire replaced?

• Like 1

Buy a new tire. Damaged beads will not be 'warranted'.

I plan on ordering another one. The bead of the tire is fine though it’s in the center of the tire where the wires are really showing through

I'd be very surprised to learn that an MX52 is steel belted, but I guess I don't know. Did you try pulling the wires out?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, BigA92 said:

I plan on ordering another one. The bead of the tire is fine though it’s in the center of the tire where the wires are really showing through

Pictures?

I pick up thousands of used dirt bike tires from the recycling piles at mx shops. I use them to protect/cover asphalt streets while tracking heavy equipment . You would be suprised how many dirt bike tires have steel belting in them other than on the bead. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I'd be very surprised to learn that an MX52 is steel belted, but I guess I don't know. Did you try pulling the wires out?

No I haven’t tried pulling them out. I will get some pictures tomorrow

4 hours ago, BigA92 said:

Did the same to 3 Dunlop Trailwings, flexed the tread hard enough to tear the inside and the ply material was poking thru. Honda dealer gave me 2 new tires before I realized what was going on...

Get better tires and run a bit higher pressure...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dklassen said:

The tire isn’t steel belted like a car tire it’s a broken bead wire. It was likely exposed from mounting it. 

NOT broken bead wire... Btdt, there are steel plys, broken and poking thru. Also, the tear on the inside will flex open and closed, pinching the tube...

8 hours ago, RichBaker said:

NOT broken bead wire... Btdt, there are steel plys, broken and poking thru. Also, the tear on the inside will flex open and closed, pinching the tube...

There are NO steel carcass plies in an MX52.

The only steel belted dirt bike tire (that has been around forever) is a Teraflex. https://www.intercotire.com/tire_brand/teraflex_motosteel

I cut all of my dirt bike tires up before disposal, and yes this has included some MX52s. The sawzall goes through the carcass like butter (just rubber and nylon plies) until it hits the steel for the bead which I finish off with a 4-1/2" steel cutting disc.

If the OP has steel showing through the middle of the tire it came through the tire, not from it.

1 hour ago, eastreich said:

There are NO steel carcass plies in an MX52.

The only steel belted dirt bike tire (that has been around forever) is a Teraflex. https://www.intercotire.com/tire_brand/teraflex_motosteel

I cut all of my dirt bike tires up before disposal, and yes this has included some MX52s. The sawzall goes through the carcass like butter (just rubber and nylon plies) until it hits the steel for the bead which I finish off with a 4-1/2" steel cutting disc.

If the OP has steel showing through the middle of the tire it came through the tire, not from it.

Did I say it had a belt? NO... Your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. Maybe they were nylon, I don't know, it was 1983, Dunlop Trailwings... I haven't compromised a tire in that manner since. No matter what, it caused a flat.

Why would you cut up your tires? Do you do it to car and truck tires, as well?   Why?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, RichBaker said:

Did I say it had a belt? NO... Your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. Maybe they were nylon, I don't know, it was 1983, Dunlop Trailwings... I haven't compromised a tire in that manner since. No matter what, it caused a flat.

Why would you cut up your tires? Do you do it to car and truck tires, as well?   Why?

In the vein of reading comprehension, why would you think a 35 year old experience with a DeathWing would have some form of bearing to the OP who is curious if he can possibly get a new MX52 "replaced" from what he thinks is steel belting poking through in the MIDDLE of the tire carcass?? He knows what caused the flat already.

My comment was simply to get the thread on track that if the OP says there is steel coming through the tire and it is NOT the bead than it came from OUTSIDE the tire and went through it to cause the flat because there is NO steel in the carcass of an MX52.

Where I live the gabage collection (rural) will not take whole tires and they won't fit in our garbage cans. If I take them in my truck to the local transfer station (I go quarterly for my built up used oil for recycling) I get charged $5 per tire and once per year the county brings in a contractor to cut up all tires they have on hand, who charges $5 per tire to cut them up. If I cut up the tires before hand, then the local pickup company is happy and doesn't care that they are in my garbage can and the county doesn't care because they are already cut up for disposal on their end.

I don't cut up my car or truck tires becuase I just live with the added on fee from the tire shop to cover their disposal when I get new rubber.

When I was younger I would have just poached a dumpster somewhere to dispose of the tires or left them at a track. But I've matured, somewhat, although you may beg to differ.

1 minute ago, eastreich said:

In the vein of reading comprehension, why would you think a 35 year old experience with a DeathWing would have some form of bearing to the OP who is curious if he can possibly get a new MX52 "replaced" from what he thinks is steel belting poking through in the MIDDLE of the tire carcass?? He knows what caused the flat already.

My comment was simply to get the thread on track that if the OP says there is steel coming through the tire and it is NOT the bead than it came from OUTSIDE the tire and went through it to cause the flat because there is NO steel in the carcass of an MX52.

Where I live the gabage collection (rural) will not take whole tires and they won't fit in our garbage cans. If I take them in my truck to the local transfer station (I go quarterly for my built up used oil for recycling) I get charged $5 per tire and once per year the county brings in a contractor to cut up all tires they have on hand, who charges $5 per tire to cut them up. If I cut up the tires before hand, then the local pickup company is happy and doesn't care that they are in my garbage can and the county doesn't care because they are already cut up for disposal on their end.

I don't cut up my car or truck tires becuase I just live with the added on fee from the tire shop to cover their disposal when I get new rubber.

When I was younger I would have just poached a dumpster somewhere to dispose of the tires or left them at a track. But I've matured, somewhat, although you may beg to differ.

No matter how many years apart, the cause is the same, I'll bet that, if I had a pic of the tw failures, it would match the mx52 failure. Mine were caused by insufficient pressure, in a tire that couldn't handle rock hits. Went to a 6 ply dirt tire and never looked back...

Around here, tires aren't allowed in the dumps, they get recycled. Buried tires resurface, eventually...

Every tire sold, including Motorsports tires, get the fees applied when sold. 

• Like 1

All MX tires are steel belted.

1 hour ago, RichBaker said:

Around here, tires aren't allowed in the dumps, they get recycled. Buried tires resurface, eventually...

Every tire sold, including Motorsports tires, get the fees applied when sold. 

In WA we get charged a disposal fee when we buy tires and then when we dispose of them we get charged it again. That galls me to the point that I pile em up in the back yard and burn em, just tell the neighbors that I'm cleaning my barbeque.

IMG_1149.JPG here is the “wires”. Maybe it is just nylon and I just ran over something. The strands are really rough though I’ve never seen that before.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, BigA92 said:

IMG_1149.JPG here is the “wires”. Maybe it is just nylon and I just ran over something. The strands are really rough though I’ve never seen that before.

You hit something hard enough to break the inner ply, or plies, of the tire, you can see where the inner lining was overstressed. My trailwing was orders of magnitude worse. The inner lining looked shredded, 4 or 5 1/4" wide ribbons hanging loose.

It shouldn't be too hard to decide whether the 'wires' are steel or fabric, should it? Are they sharp enough and strong enough to pierce a tube is the real question, to me. If they are, I think you should get a new tire/tube from the manufacturer/supplier......or at least an explanation as to why this isn't warrantied

Edited by shuswap1
  • Like 1