Lithium Battery Balance Leads

This is my first experience with a Lithium battery in a motorcycle but not lithium batteries. I have run lithium batteries in my RC Cars, Planes and Heli's since 2007. I know you can charge a Lithium battery without the Balance leads but you should always (At least i do 90% of the time) Balance charge if you can for longer cell/battery life. It really does make a difference in discharge at least in RC. I can tell when i need to balnce my RC Lithium batteries. The RC chargers have a Balance circuit built in for this task. I assume that the motorcycle Lithium batteries due to the lack of external balance parts means the battery is balanced internally within the battery shell or maybe it doesn't even have one since balancing is only needed on multiple cells and to increase life of the battery.

So my real question is can i carry one of my small 12v 1500mah RC batteries as a jump or replacement battery out in the boonies if something goes wrong with the stock one?

Assuming the wire gage is adequate, an RC pack will work. But, it only has so much capacity.

Many of the LiFe batteries being sold have built in balancing circuity (like the Restart). Some (like the Shorai) have a balance charge port. Though as longh as you do not run them down too far, rebalancing is not needed. It is a bigger issue in RC as you often run them almost all the way down (like 95% usage). In the motorcycle, world, it is rare to use 25% of the available capacity, usually, less than 5%.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, William1 said:

Assuming the wire gage is adequate, an RC pack will work. But, it only has so much capacity.

Many of the LiFe batteries being sold have built in balancing circuity (like the Restart). Some (like the Shorai) have a balance charge port. Though as longh as you do not run them down too far, rebalancing is not needed. It is a bigger issue in RC as you often run them almost all the way down (like 95% usage). In the motorcycle, world, it is rare to use 25% of the available capacity, usually, less than 5%.

Thank you for the response and edumication. My RC batteries range from 7.4v-16ga to 14.4v-10ga and from 800mah to 8000mah so i'll pick and choose. Probably try a 3S (12v) 5000mah 160A discharge. I run them down to 3.4v per cell and all have external Alarms on them so they are safe from over discharge.

Ive jump started cars at the track or field for those who charge from their car battery and froget about starting them with my 3S batteries so i know it can be done. Just never jump started a lithium to lithium and had to check. Lith battery shouldn't care but had to ask since they are not cheap or the bike electronics.