Billet pipe coupler?

My stock rubber pipe coupler has been leaking and making a mess the last 4 or 5 rides . Looking at ordering a replacement this morning and saw this? Has anyone tried this (seems to be new to the site) . Claims to improve reliability over stock? $36 bucks vs $12. ThoughtsScreenshot_20181230-084024_Chrome.jpegScreenshot_20181230-084038_Chrome.jpeg

After my first ride , mine was throwing mess all over the carburetor.  I just took the silencer off and cleaned it up , slid it back together and hasn't leaked since.  Now I'm not going to say it wont do it again being this is my first 2 stroke,  but won't hurt to try it.

One option to try is the 18+ 250XCW or 300XCW for the TPI models exhaust coupler. It's very long and has two agressive binder coils that make it practically water tight.

It's inexpensive too. You hafta really shove the silencer into the pipe too.

Noticed my right side of carb was all jizzed with spooge when I used RK Tek's jetting spec. Got the new KTM coupler and switched back to Suzuki needles and no more problems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier-Daddy said:

I’m eager to hear reviews. Zip Ty’s worked well for me. Sounds like snake oil to me but my opinion might be different if right zip Ty’s and double checking pipe and silencer fasteners didn’t work.

Had a TM Designs no leak exhaust collar on my CR250. Worked great. Here's another option but fitment seems a bit iffy.

https://tmdesignworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=144&products_id=220

• Like 1

Zip ties cinched with channel locks and I’ve never had a leak. If I did I’d just run a bead of high temp silicone on each end in addition to the zip ties.
I have hose clamps on mine. Thinking the pervious owner put them on . Worked great for 60 hours or so. Not so good the last 5. I'll take it all apart and clean everything up, lock down with zip ties and see if that doesn't fix it. Hopefully save some cash!
  • Like 1

I can post a quick review of this coupler.  I have a 2016 Xtrainer.  It's always sprayed a bit of unburnt oil on the shock and right side of the engine if I didn't carefully zip tie or safety wire the coupler even when properly jetted.  If I was diligent to silicon it and safety wire it I was able to avoid the issue, but I'm always messing with the bike and have forgotten a few times and it takes some time to clean up.  This coupler fits tights, so I applied a little grease and tapped it on to the silencer with a mallet.  It slid onto the pipe easily, again with a bit of grease.  I have rode twice (~6 hours) since installing and there is not a bit of mess around the coupler, so I would say it's worth buying if you often take off the silencer, otherwise just silicon and safety wire the stock coupler.

Edited by AZSingleTracker
  • Like 2

Silicon RTV seems to work great for mine. I also use a very good quality zip tie that has no ratchet teeth. It grips with a stainless steel tang. The tie itself has no "rack" of teeth. These are industrial style zips, not the residential quality that is usually all that's available in Home Depot or Lowes. Thomas and Betts TR TY526MX CABLE TIE 30LB 11" UV BL ... But a word of caution, they can only be removed by cutting. There's no way to release them like a traditional zip tie.

On and aside, I have managed to get a lot of smoke to push through the coupling after startup, by forgetting the silencer wash bung plug in the exhaust tip. A few seconds of me going "WTF!?!?!". It's happened more than once...A LOT of smoke comes out of any seam wherever it can get out, and it runs "funny"... At least I've never ridden it that way. Surprising it runs at idle at all, but it does.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the other evening, and so far so good.  One of the key items I think is the recommended use of Permatex Ultra Copper sealant to help seal between the silencer and the pipe.  You have to clean the daylights out of both, and apply a coat to the part of the silencer which slides over the pipe.  I will not be able to test ride for a while, but it had zero drip or spray for the 15 minute warm-up test.  Personally I think that using the Permatex would be a good solution for anyone running the OEM rubber joint.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 8:07 PM, EnduroPNW said:

Well.... found out why my stock coupler was leaking. Hahahaha that will do it. 20190121_163146.jpeg

Yeah, hose clamps are too strong for the soft rubber the union is made from. Better off with the cable ties and a light coating of RTV during assembly.

• Like 3

I would think that the use of that anodised aluminium coupler may lead to increased wear somewhere along the line, as its unable to soak up vibrations and miss alignment like the rubber coupler. Zip ties have always worked well for me, and are so simple. Just a thought?

• Like 4

I would think that the use of that anodised aluminium coupler may lead to increased wear somewhere along the line, as its unable to soak up vibrations and miss alignment like the rubber coupler. Zip ties have always worked well for me, and are so simple. Just a thought?

Welp, I got one on the way. So I guess I'll let you know lol. My 4ts never had any rubber and I have destroyed some mega bomb headers in the past with no alignment issues or unusual wear

Capitalism at it's finest, $36 solution for a 15 cent fix.

Right! Down right insane! Thats like spending 5 bucks for a cup of coffee. 1st world problems . Wait come to think about it, have you seen the beta 50ccs in 3rd world countries? Blows my mind the amount bling someone can put on a bike. But I guess if thats what makes them happy. then who am I to judge. 

"Sent from my $1100 iphone"

• Like 3

10 hours ago, motumatai said:

Since the silencer has 2" of fairly tight overlap onto the pipe(at least on mine), all the coupler does is give a final seal.  I can't see how it would cause any undue wear on the exhaust system.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...