TRAVELING TO RACES ALONE. ANYONE DO IT?

I always preferred to go alone.

If I got hurt there was always someone I knew there to load my stuff up and pour me into my truck so I could get home.

At my age I think the couch is more dangerous than riding.

• Like 1

I guess I live life on the edge, I usually go to events alone...on top of that, I drive the worst possible vehicle to try to load a bike solo and drive when injured. It's a 3/4 ton pickup, so a bitch to load a bike even when able-bodied and a 6 speed manual...I've had the joy of pushing in a clutch on a long ride home with a banged up knee.

I guess I live life on the edge, I usually go to events alone...on top of that, I drive the worst possible vehicle to try to load a bike solo and drive when injured. It's a 3/4 ton pickup, so a bitch to load a bike even when able-bodied and a 6 speed manual...I've had the joy of pushing in a clutch on a long ride home with a banged up knee.
Hitch rack 20180722_095025.jpeg

I'll go two to three hours away by myself to race. Typically I know some people there, so I would hope I'd get some help if injured. I know I'd help another riding brother anyway I could and I have.

• Like 1

Dad took me to the mx track, mom would never go.  Had a good points total so last race of the series my mom came to watch for 1st time.  Kid put a handlebar through the gut of a fallen rider over a jump, killed him.  Mom never came to another race...

16 hours ago, Sierra_rider said:

Broke my ankle sno-x'ing a few years ago.  I had driven out there on my own, but at the time the org I teach avy education with was sponsoring the race circuit, so my buddy was there to help me out which was nice. 

That drive home sucked. :lol:

• Like 1

Last Christmas I went to a mx 3 hours away, rode practice and about 2 laps of the first race, fell off and tore My hamstring muscle. Had to drive My old manual back home using 1 leg for everything  :wacko:

You don’t normally ride your bike into your truck? I blew my knee out last year on a ride and still rode my bike into the truck after, no way I could have got it in there any other way by myself.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, dittohead said:

You don’t normally ride your bike into your truck? I blew my knee out last year on a ride and still rode my bike into the truck after, no way I could have got it in there any other way by myself.

I ride my trials bike in, but I've got a short, traction-less ramp and my tailgate is about 3 1/2 feet off the ground...not doing it on the dirtbikes.

I do it all the time, other friends have family and work commitments so unfortunately I have to but it doesn't matter and I always end up speaking to someone there so it's all good 

I ride my trials bike in, but I've got a short, traction-less ramp and my tailgate is about 3 1/2 feet off the ground...not doing it on the dirtbikes.
I got tired of loading my 340lb dual sport in my tall HD pickup, in the rain, in the dark....bought a hitch rack and its the best thing ever.

56 minutes ago, HevyRotashunz said:
4 hours ago, Sierra_rider said:

I got tired of loading my 340lb dual sport in my tall HD pickup, in the rain, in the dark....bought a hitch rack and its the best thing ever.

I saw your earlier post and it did get me thinking about a hitch rack. Especially since about 90% of the time it's just one bike in the back...then with the hitch rack, I could easily fit 3-4 bikes if I'm bringing some friends along for a longer trip. Gotta love long-beds for that.

• Like 1

Had no idea old riders were still competing in anything other than "VET" classes. It sounds like a great time, but also at a level of risk I'm not willing to accept. But, I'll go watch or wrench!

14 hours ago, NORTY said:

Had no idea old riders were still competing in anything other than "VET" classes. It sounds like a great time, but also at a level of risk I'm not willing to accept. But, I'll go watch or wrench!

Sounds like you don't realize how competitive and fast "Vet" racing can be.

• Like 1

I used to go by myself but always knew plenty of people at the races to have help if needed. There are several things you can do:

-Find a retired buddy that has nothing better to do than take a trip with you. Doesn't matter if he races or not.

-Get to know as many people as you can at the races so you have buddies to help.

-Join a club if there are any in your area. This is what changed things for me. Now I always ride with buddies and we all pit or camp together so we always help each other with anything that happens.  I have had a few races where bike problems would have ended my day but a buddy (or three) was able to help solve the problems.

My buddies are all ages.  I realize the older you get the fewer guys there are that still ride.  Age doesn't matter in my experience.  We all ride and that is all it takes to have plenty in common with all ages.

• Like 1

Help at the races is not the issue, that is a given. The issue is when you live four+hours one way and the others live a completely different, opposite direction. Clubs are only an option when you live in a db popular area and there is one to join. Buddies are a great idea but in time they disappear, get too lazy, afraid to ask permission, blah blah blah blah!

Help at the races is not the issue, that is a given. The issue is when you live four+hours one way and the others live a completely different, opposite direction. Clubs are only an option when you live in a db popular area and there is one to join. Buddies are a great idea but in time they disappear, get too lazy, afraid to ask permission, blah blah blah blah!
It seems to me that all your complaints in every thread are based on your decision to live in a Godforsaken hellscape that should be returned to Mexico.
  • Haha 1

I raced the National circuit in the 70's when I was 17 to 21 years old and went alone most of the time. My friends had jobs or were in school and my parents both worked so they weren't going. It was me and a couple bikes in the back of my van - a privateer was truly a privateer back then. Ya do what ya gotta do if you want to race. 

2 hours ago, HevyRotashunz said:

It seems to me that all your complaints in every thread are based on your decision to live in a Godforsaken hellscape that should be returned to Mexico. emoji23.png

Not a single complaint, you must have a reading comprehension problem. Along with the others you demonstrate here. Take your meds!

On 1/2/2019 at 9:50 AM, Piney Woods said:

Sounds like you don't realize how competitive and fast "Vet" racing can be.

Oh, I know how competitive vets can be. Especially veterans that have names like Lackey, DeCoster or Smith (Marty or Malcolm.)