RideWithWill

any of you guys excited for the tenere 700!???

I know its still a whiles away but I am definitely not getting another bike (street or touring) for this reason. I have a cb500x that I currently ride on forest roads and streets for exploring, but I honestly think the tenere 700 is the perfect mix between a daily rider, dirt road explorer, and weekend getaway. Probably capable just as much as a 350 lb dr650! selectable ABS which is perfect! I need to have ABS on the streets. saved me once, i am not going back. 21 in tires front 18s in the back!

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/adventure-touring/models/tenere-700

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Excited?

No, not really, and that video is some kind of a fantasy meant to stir your emotions - I personally don't care for watching a new Tenere 700 (a year-and-a-half from now) being ridden overseas in some desert and reading maps while en route.

Advertising has gone from fantasizing about winning some top-level roadrace while riding a 600 - 1,000cc sportbike (I remember the original 1987 CBR600F Hurricane television ads of "Even the Ninja must hide from the Hurricane") to now participating in the Paris to Dakar Rally on an Adventure Bike.

To me, it's pretty silly.

I already own a 2015 FZ07 (bought new in August of 2014 shortly after they hit the showroom floors), and it has been perhaps the most fun-to-ride street-only bike I've owned.

That's quite a compliment.

However, would I trade it for this 2021 Tenere 700?

Well, time will tell, but even if I did buy the Tenere 700, it would end-up saying on the street 98% of the time with MAYBE the occasional relatively smooth dirt road through the local State Forest.

I have much more dirt-worthy dirt bikes and dual-purpose bike for off-road use.

Edited by YZEtc

4 hours ago, YZEtc said:

Excited?

No, not really, and that video is some kind of a fantasy meant to stir your emotions - I personally don't care for watching a new Tenere 700 (a year-and-a-half from now) being ridden overseas in some desert and reading maps while en route.

Advertising has gone from fantasizing about winning some top-level roadrace while riding a 600 - 1,000cc sportbike (I remember the original 1987 CBR600F Hurricane television ads of "Even the Ninja must hide from the Hurricane") to now participating in the Paris to Dakar Rally on an Adventure Bike.

To me, it's pretty silly.

I already own a 2015 FZ07 (bought new in August of 2014 shortly after they hit the showroom floors), and it has been perhaps the most fun-to-ride street-only bike I've owned.

That's quite a compliment.

However, would I trade it for this 2021 Tenere 700?

Well, time will tell, but even if I did buy the Tenere 700, it would end-up saying on the street 98% of the time with MAYBE the occasional relatively smooth dirt road through the local State Forest.

I have much more dirt-worthy dirt bikes and dual-purpose bike for off-road use.

ha ha yeah ive been noticing mixed feelings about the tenere 700. I as well have a dedicated dirtbike that I use for more "trail" oriented riding. But sometimes I just wish my cb500x had 21in wheel and 18in rears and just a tad bit more power so I can just cruise the back roads of Colorado and if I do see some dirt forest road, I can just take it! Ha ha but yeah I think we all know that about commercials :) 

Just feel the tenere is what ive been looking for! (besides my next dirtbike lol)

3 minutes ago, nocturnal said:

It all depends on how much it weighs. 

yep for sure. I think yamaha is trying to compromise between road and dirt comfort. I think heavier bikes are better for the roads but suck off road ha ha. currently ride my cb500x offroad now, but cant do large rocky type trails because of tire size and suspension. 

i guess we will wait and find out ha ha. 

Must be a version of the bike I see in the Dakar this week and last

On 1/16/2019 at 4:13 PM, DPete said:

Must be a version of the bike I see in the Dakar this week and last

That was the WR450 Rally. Nothing shared between the two other than graphics and styling. 

I for one am really excited for the Tenere 700. I live a long way from anywhere fun to ride so something with proper road manners that's also light enough and robust enough for off-roading sound perfect. Price is expected to be <£9000 in the UK which makes it a total bargain. I could see myself entering roadbook rallies all over Europe on it. It's got the legs to ride there, compete and ride home again. 

Of course the KTM brigade will come along and say ''Oh it doesn't have TC and Cruise control and 25 riding modes and active suspension, blah blah blah'' But frankly that's the appeal. It's simple. The 790R has way too much going on for me and the price difference is enormous. 

I hired a Tracer 700 in Spain for a weekend a few years ago and it was a right laugh. All wheelies and slides. Plenty of usable power and so keen to rev right out to the redline. Of course it's not as fast as my Tiger 1050 but honestly, I think that's ok. I've got a sportsbike for going silly fast. 

And massive apologies to all the North Americans who have to wait so long for this

Looks like an ADV to me. Dualsport or not I dont want a bike that looks intended for midlife crises lol

21 minutes ago, Thatslyb said:

Looks like an ADV to me. Dualsport or not I dont want a bike that looks intended for midlife crises lol

it is an ADV bike.. kinda just more emphasis on the offroad side. I dont think ADV riders are the kinds to go through midlife crisis though lol. They are usually the opposites. usually when I see a 50 yr old male driving insane with a harley or sportsbike with no gear trying to look cool, I think they are going through a midlife crisis lol (no offense to that age group, I will get there eventually) 

I think it is perfect for me though. I daily ride everyday, but sometimes I wish I had a bike geared more towards offroading but good reliability and I think this is what ive been looking for. Sometimes I just want to go around Colorado and explore the back forest roads and old mining roads....of course I am in Colorado, so we have thousand and thousands of dirt roads. I love dirtbiking, but I also love exploring 

Edited by RideWithWill

It's claimed weight is more than I'd ever be interested in for any bike taken offroad . I'm not in the least interested in another overweight , clumsy street bike that sits tall just to add Adventure to it's name.

Give me a new XT660 in the old style(2000'ish"), ok modernize the plastic panels , but none of that garbage . Midlife crisis toy is a damn good description !

Edited by jjktmrider