LRB

What are you doing to your bike this winter to be ride ready this spring?

I am replacing all fluids on my bike, replacing gaskets, and am going to put new tires on. 

How bout you?

Changing my oil reservoir drank plug, crush washer and screen.... it's dropping oil and parts are supposed to arrive today. My fork rebuild kit arrived last week, as did my fork oil. My mom got me a new rear tire for Christmas. Have to get a new HD tube and have that thing mounted. Front tire I plan to use for next season.

• Like 1

Good call on greasing suspension points! I'd better do that too!

• Like 1

Suspension rebuild.

New chain, sprockets, pegs, chain guide and slider. Brake pads and rotors. Full oil change. 

Current state:

20181216_122823.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SnowMule said:

'07 525 with a shitload of miles.

IMG_20181226_233512896-L.jpg

IMG_20181222_212018794-L.jpg

IMG_20181222_212041836-L.jpg

damn you really have put the miles on over the years, I remember a long time ago you were posting about something and had about 10,000 miles and I was impressed. What all have you had to replace engine wise over the years?

Posted (edited)

Pretty much everything. All new chassis bearings including the wheels. New piston kit. New crank seals and probably the bearings too since I have them. New tires. All new gaskets of coarse. Change the oil in the suspension. I have new reeds, but when I pulled out the reeds and looked at them, they still looked brand new. New rads. New muffler with a spark arrester. Up in the air on getting new plastic though. Plan on racing hare scrambles in the spring, and they would just get destroyed anyways so probably just graphics or lots of stickers. Here's how it looks currently.

Once I get the chassis done, I'll do the engine work. Oh ya did I mention new chain and sprockets? Geeeezuz I should of just bought a new bike.:D

Oh ya new levers and clutch perch too. And a flywheel weight. 

20181228_223146.jpg

20181222_213042.jpg

Edited by I'm trying
  • Like 2

Cleaning every filter, bleeding brakes, suspension bearings, steering head bearings, anti seize on chain adjusters, oil changes. With four bikes in the quiver there is lots to be done.

Another thing that gets attention is proper goggle cleaning. This includes removing the lenses and strap, hand washing the frames and lenses, straps in the washer. Then everything is air dried before being put back together. 

Helmet liners washed, gear inspected and anything damaged thrown out then replaced. Gear bags cleaned out (never know what you might find in there!)

It’s nice to get this stuff done during the down time so you can be ready when it’s time to ride.

Edited by Dklassen
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sixdaysoffun said:

Riding it

No maintenance should take more than a couple hours not a whole season.

Is that right?

• Like 1

Riding year round as usual. I agree with sixdays for the most part. Maintenance doesn't take long, except greasing all the bearings once a year or so. Everything else is just basic "do as you go" maintenance for me. Upgrades, on the other hand, can take longer. Designed and installed a lighting system this year and that took a few hours for sure.

• Like 2

Riding year round as usual. I agree with sixdays for the most part. Maintenance doesn't take long, except greasing all the bearings once a year or so. Everything else is just basic "do as you go" maintenance for me. Upgrades, on the other hand, can take longer. Designed and installed a lighting system this year and that took a few hours for sure.

I also ride year round, as long as the woods aren’t closed for fire danger. Dirtbikes are simple machines, it only takes an evening to do suspension bearings, even if you are taking your time. Wheel bearings, fluid changes, take only a couple hrs at most. I order parts and when they arrive I do the job. Bike stays in good shape and I’m still riding. No down time and no need for multiple bikes.
  • Like 2

Just now, dittohead said:

I also ride year round, as long as the woods aren’t closed for fire danger. Dirtbikes are simple machines, it only takes an evening to do suspension bearings, even if you are taking your time. Wheel bearings, fluid changes, take only a couple hrs at most. I order parts and when they arrive I do the job. Bike stays in good shape and I’m still riding. No down time and no need for multiple bikes.

You totally had me right up to the last part of your last sentence. :lol:

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, dittohead said:

no need for multiple bikes.

:confused:

6 hours ago, Wild Alaskan said:

damn you really have put the miles on over the years, I remember a long time ago you were posting about something and had about 10,000 miles and I was impressed. What all have you had to replace engine wise over the years?

Crank bearings, mostly.  Replaced the roller bearings with heavy-duty ball bearings at about 6k miles... looks like MTBF on these is about 20k miles.  I've replaced both sides in the last two years.  Various other bearings here and there, but otherwise the motor itself is holding up quite well and shows no signs of giving up anytime soon.

• Like 1

New tires, Kenda Washougal IIs, new seat cover (old one is worn slick and has a small tear), 1/2" bar risers to make standing more comfortable, and rebuild the rear shock. We have a foot of snow so no hurry, fluids will get changed along the way.