08 XR650L Starting nightmare

so does the thing run or what.................

my .02 is on the carb out of the box that's not set up right............. put your known good carb on and eliminate the fuel issue

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hollerhead said:

Would he bill the wasps, or mother nature, if that turns out to be the problem?

Laugh all you want.

Dirt daubers, mud wasp, whatever anyone calls them, do cause a lot of problems. The mud nest they build can and do plug exhausts and it happens quite a bit on seasonal equipment, like line trimmers and power saws. The exhaust on those are much smaller and easier to plug, but I have seen nest in ATV exhaust.

They build nest on carburetors, that often binds any linkage and can cause it to stick or like on automobile four barrels, certain things won't function correctly, like choke or secondary linkage.

They can build nest on some switches, causing them to stick.

In summer, they build nest so quickly, the car someone parked a week ago can have issues when they try to start it.

Besides that, spiders build nest that can also cause problems. In fact, at least one automotive manufacturer had a major recall because of spider nests plugging up a drain.

Fire ants in electrical contacts. The list goes on. But no, nature can't be held liable.

It's my own dumb fault for coming on here, trying to prevent someone from taking bad advise, knowing full well the status quo members who take offense to anything that calls out their shade tree, backwoods, bubba boy, git ur biggur hamur, parts swapping way of diagnostics. Don't y'all have a starter to beat with a hammer or something, while you high-five each other if it works, then shrug it off as a good try if it doesn't?

Overall, my sincere apologies to the OP, for derailing the thread. My last post in this thread. Hope you get it sorted out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you have a fire extinguisher outside.....

chances are it will not work because a dirt bug has nested in the discharge port................ just say'in

50% are in this condition

4 hours ago, Onederer said:

Laugh all you want.

Dirt daubers, mud wasp, whatever anyone calls them, do cause a lot of problems. The mud nest they build can and do plug exhausts and it happens quite a bit on seasonal equipment, like line trimmers and power saws. The exhaust on those are much smaller and easier to plug, but I have seen nest in ATV exhaust.

They build nest on carburetors, that often binds any linkage and can cause it to stick or like on automobile four barrels, certain things won't function correctly, like choke or secondary linkage.

They can build nest on some switches, causing them to stick.

In summer, they build nest so quickly, the car someone parked a week ago can have issues when they try to start it.

Besides that, spiders build nest that can also cause problems. In fact, at least one automotive manufacturer had a major recall because of spider nests plugging up a drain.

Fire ants in electrical contacts. The list goes on. But no, nature can't be held liable.

It's my own dumb fault for coming on here, trying to prevent someone from taking bad advise, knowing full well the status quo members who take offense to anything that calls out their shade tree, backwoods, bubba boy, git ur biggur hamur, parts swapping way of diagnostics. Don't y'all have a starter to beat with a hammer or something, while you high-five each other if it works, then shrug it off as a good try if it doesn't?

Overall, my sincere apologies to the OP, for derailing the thread. My last post in this thread. Hope you get it sorted out.

yep

• Like 1

Update: Did some swapping of carbs and CDIs. His carb and my carb are both "daves mod" and the new carb is OEM stock. His CDI was a cheaper chinese one and my CDI is a the OEM honda.

His carb + his CDI = nothing 

His carb + my CDI = nothing

New carb + his CDI = nothing

New carb + MY CDI = Works, but doesn't rev (No daves mod: stock)

My carb + his CDI = nothing

My carb + MY CDI = Starts and runs like it should.  🦄

What was nightmarish for me was back in the summer this bike ran just fine with his carb and his chinese CDI, no issues. Then you let it sit for a while and end up with a headache.  Even worse, the chinese CDI was able to start the bike after it had warmed up, but not before and not reliably like the OEM one.

So my plan is going to be cannibalize the old carb's Dave's mods to combine with the brand new carb and order up an OEM honda CDI. .... If this thing is still possessed after that then i'm calling an exorcist.

Note to those considering chinese CDI's:: They work at first, but could easily crap out on you for like no reason at like any friggin time. The OEM CDI's, while 5x the price are worth it for the reliability. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Onederer said:

No worries, and thank you! I've ran into problems with insects and dirt dobbers with my other atv and bikes before lol, but not this time.

Oh and I also didn't have to use starter fluid to get it to fire, even though it's freezing temps and its a cold cold motor. 😛 

Edited by TxSamsquanch

I understand your disagreement with the advice, but your allegations of financial liability bear no legal grounds, so I wouldn't bother making exaggerated statements like that. Everyone on here is trying to help, just because you have an alternative solution, doesn't mean the other advice being given is legally negligent. This type of statement can drive the litigious environment we currently live in, and most people don't like it.

No, that doesn't not mean it's a fuel issue.
While using ether, an engine with too low of compression will still start. 
While using ether, an engine with weak spark will still start. With high enough compression, it doesn't even need spark to ignite.
While using ether, an engine out of time will still try to start.

Anyone who advises using ether to start a motorcycle, in direct response to an individual's request for help, should be held financially liable for any damages. 

There has been mechanical advise given on here which HAS resulted in damage to the member's motorcycle, and the member giving advise most certainly did not offer to pay for it.

If we're throwing around the 'I'm a mechanic' statement. Maybe I should post my diploma and all my certificates, awards, and long job history as a mechanic. 

• Like 1

22".....is that normal?....(ha ha ha )

Sounds spot on as a fuel/carb issue. If it was exhaust it wouldn't have fired with the new carb.
I don't want to get involved in this big **** contest but as far as I know (I own no known degrees) Daves carb mod is just to fix the bad stock butterfly on the carbs that fails and ends up on the piston as a hitchiker, as far as I know.
*Disclaimer* This is a forum of opinions I own no degrees and my dick is 22"

Fun post to read. I did have a muddauber nest problem a few times. Semi trailers sitting on the lot, they would build a nest in the gladhands. There's your air problem. Also in fuel tank vent tubes, there's your starting problem.

13 minutes ago, Tbahr said:

Fun post to read. I did have a muddauber nest problem a few times. Semi trailers sitting on the lot, they would build a nest in the gladhands. There's your air problem. Also in fuel tank vent tubes, there's your starting problem.

Did those sum beeches pay the repair bill?

Edited by Hollerhead
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2