adding a dashcam to my dual sport

17 minutes ago, HevyRotashunz said:

Go ahead and roll your camera dude, no big deal. Pro street rider tips. Never, ever stop directly behind a car. Always stay in gear preserving your ability to power away from a threat. Always line up with the driver side mirror if in the right lane or passenger side mirror if in the left lane, that way you've maximized both visibility to the vehicles in front of you as well as your escape avenues. Always watch your rearview like a hawk while cycling your brake light rapidly with the brake lever until at least two vehicles have stopped behind you. This eliminates your vulnerability to being pinched from behind as well as the threat of someone reversing into you. There are a million little things like this you only learn by practice and experience. Good luck out there.

appreciate the tips! yeah I usually stay way back when I come to a stop and look for escape paths in case a car is ready to rear end me lol. I try to do MSF courses once or every 2 years just to brush up or open criticism. Was going to go this fall again, but picked up dirtbiking and been obsessed with it since.

• Like 1

I guess my biggest concern, outside of traffic, is..."How secure is your bike, when parking?" My camera is attached to a suction cup, attached to the windshield. I still remove it from sight, at work. Even with "ok" video surveillance, I don't leave anything visible through the glass. I see bikes at work(including mine) that are scrutinized by every passersby, all day long. My bike gets parked in front of a camera with "in office" monitoring. Even so, many people, including kids & adults, stop, look. They move mirrors, flick switches, etc. I work at a large "big box" retailer, so I only ride my "junk" to work. I don't leave anything attached to my bike, that's removable w/o tools & minimal effort. Sorry for the hijack...just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

oh true I didn't think of that! I think the ones I am looking at screw to your license plate and the front I guess screw it somewhere. Pretty new to this, so not sure.  I get worried as well when I go to the gym. People park in the "motorcycle" parking only and I have to park in the back away from traffic. ? sucks people do this. I mean I have mine insured as well so not that big of deal but I really like my cb500x until the tenere 700 comes out that is!

well appreciate all the feed back! was also thinking of getting one for my dual sports in case an oh shit moment happens when im offroading. Like my buddy ate it pretty bad and I didnt record it hahah. he is ok and he asked if I got it, and did not :( I dont always run the go pro 

If a dash cam makes you feel better then no issues installing one, don't take any crap from others. I'm sure it won't matter what all is on the video except when you have an incident. I'd put it in a hidden location in any case. Only produce when necessary and make a backup copy, i.e. to cloud or phone whenever something happens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bungholio said:

If a dash cam makes you feel better then no issues installing one, don't take any crap from others. I'm sure it won't matter what all is on the video except when you have an incident. I'd put it in a hidden location in any case. Only produce when necessary and make a backup copy, i.e. to cloud or phone whenever something happens.

thanks appreciate it!! Yeah going to get one. I mean just in case you never know what you might capture doesn't just have to be a wreck. Could be anything

Like a few months back Giant herds of Elk jumping across in front of my bike. Wish I would have caught that. 

im just trying to figure out what existing circuit and/or how to connect it. Im not sure if it is safe/practical to wire it to an existing circuit like your rear tail light or headlight. or just get an accessory relay and just draw power straight from the battery with a on and off switch. Its kind of why I made this thread, to get some help on where/how I should connect it. I only have experience splicing into another wire or directly to the battery

Edited by RideWithWill

1 hour ago, RideWithWill said:

thanks appreciate it!! Yeah going to get one. I mean just in case you never know what you might capture doesn't just have to be a wreck. Could be anything

Like a few months back Giant herds of Elk jumping across in front of my bike. Wish I would have caught that. 

im just trying to figure out what existing circuit and/or how to connect it. Im not sure if it is safe/practical to wire it to an existing circuit like your rear tail light or headlight. or just get an accessory relay and just draw power straight from the battery with a on and off switch. Its kind of why I made this thread, to get some help on where/how I should connect it. I only have experience splicing into another wire or directly to the battery

Don't recall what bike you said but any circuit that powers on when key is on. Relay and power from Battery would be best, trigger wire from any power after key on circuit. 

most bikes's horn circuit isn't live until you turn the key. it's also typically an easy wire to get to, and the circuit isn't usually pulling a lot. so that's a good one to use to energize a relay (the actual load, i.e. the camera, should be on a relay directly to the battery to make it's own circuit. the tap into the horn circuit is just to power the relay when the bike is on).

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, russ_sc said:

I've been thinking about the same. A dashcam provided proof in my wife's car accident last year that she was not at fault. But as somebody else mentioned, it might get stolen if not properly hidden.

yeah ive been thinking that as well. I bought a dash cam that records rear and front and trying to think of how to secure it. I know they sell dedicated motorcycle dashcams that cant be stolen (in a way) and relatively small. But i think where I go I am pretty safe. Mostly work and the gym. Then just go and hit offroad trails on the cb500x, which is another issue I came across; how will it do if I take spill offroad? I mainly would like to use it if I capture moments when im not running the go pro such as I am offroading and I eat it lol. Can go back and see what I did wrong

only two ways to prevent accessory theft. make it stupid hard to steal or stupid easy to remove. can't have both. if you make it easy to remove, then you have to be the one that removes it EVERY TIME and take it with you when you get off the bike. otherwise you have to make it so that it takes special tools and/or extreme effort to remove.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Crapflinger said:

only two ways to prevent accessory theft. make it stupid hard to steal or stupid easy to remove. can't have both. if you make it easy to remove, then you have to be the one that removes it EVERY TIME and take it with you when you get off the bike. otherwise you have to make it so that it takes special tools and/or extreme effort to remove.

And you'll have to harden everything against theft.  If a common hand tool (crowbar, hammer, multi-tool) can break it off, it's not secured properly..

A wise man once told me that if it's not nailed down it's salvage.  If you can pry it up, it's not nailed down.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Crapflinger said:

yep true! I believe I came up with a way. Ordered a lightdow action cam that was 25$ but surprisingly takes good clear video and has "car mode" had it on my car as a dash cam for over 3 years. 

Plus will most likely withstand a crash when I go down offroading lol . will prob post a picture on how I set it up, but where I go and work highly doubt some1 will steal anything but theres all kind of people everywhere. 

Edited by RideWithWill