Posted (edited)

Finally getting around to finishing up this project this winter. The bike started as a 1982 Honda XL100S. It had already been stripped of all electronics and battery and did not run. Replaced points and carb and got it running only to find out clutch was smoked and some of the clutch cover screws already stripped. Ended up putting on a cheap ebay carb and it inhaled a loose screw off the choke plate (not peened over as it should've been) and chewed up the valves and seats. So I pulled it all apart and had the frame, tank, and various parts powder-coated black. Swapped front end from a 2000 XR100R and used tapered bearings. Alloy mini high bars, mini levers, Acerbis headlight.  I rebuilt the engine as follows:

KG Clutch Factory HD springs and kevlar plates (replaced all clutch cover bolts with stainless allen bolts)
Honda TrailBikes 58mm cylinder with bungs for oil cooler
BBR 58mm small dome piston (120cc displacement)
ShiftUp Spartan big valve head (28mm intake/23mm exhaust) 
Kitaco Stage 1 hollow core cam
Keihin PZ27 carb (23mm slide) (going to try a Mikuni)

UNI pod filter

Moose magnetic oil drain plug
EMGO HD ignition coil/NGK boot and plug

I've still got the stock pipe on it if I want to ride it on the trails but I know its choking back the big valve head. Looking at a low pipe from an XR75 possibly. I'm also waiting on an ATOM ignition module to bypass the points and let it rev better hopefully. I have old stock steel wheels on right now but I have a set of XL hubs and BBR aluminum rims I need to have laced. I made the entire trials/tracker style seat using fiberglass for the pan and heavy backed vinyl for the cover. I'm going for an old school simple and reliable small woods and trails bike. I will post more pics later today when I get home.

IMG_3558.JPG

top end.JPG

shiny.JPG

flat vs domed.JPG

image5.JPG

Edited by FightingRed
  • Like 2

Here is how it currently sits. Close to being done but like most projects other things have gotten in the way. 

7C33E55C-60BA-4AB2-BF26-B912E2FC6F91.jpeg

F2E1AA6D-2903-493B-8212-C0D42D4D4482.jpeg

428D3053-388C-4BF6-946E-CC1F460A8BA9.jpeg

• Helpful 1

That is an interesting engine bench you made from wood.  It looks like you have a good design.

Thank you, I built the engine in my kitchen a couple summers ago cause my garage was too hot! I used the front engine mounting plates and scrap wood and it works kinda like those balancing wine bottle holders. Cantilever I think its called. I did not test fire the motor until it was mounted in the frame again.

Posted (edited)

I The front end has been a complicated mess. I’m using old school symmetric front hub and brake plate from a ‘74 XL100 on a ‘00 XR100R front end (mounted to 1982 XL100S frame). Long story short, there are at least two sizes of splined shaft for the brake cam. There are also several different variations of return spring and curved arms used on XL and XR models. The brake plate looks wonky in the picture because I am still waiting on the shoes and  speedometer gear (two different styles also). I think I’ve finally got all the parts to put it together this weekend then I can polish the hub and fork lowers and have the wheel built to finish the front end. 

DCFD887E-BD77-4D66-A9F7-362069A44F66.jpeg

Edited by FightingRed

Well I got the front brake squared away but it turns out another difference between XR/XL years and models is the internal speedometer gears. There are different styles of engagement dogs and sizes of gears. I did get everything polished up and ready to  the front wheel.

B23D7AAA-A646-458E-824A-70F71C35C2B9.jpeg

Are you going to paint or polish your clutch and ignition covers? 

Probably not. I mildly polished the cases but the ignition cover was a NOS one I found so I hate to blast off the perfectly good OEM coating. Clutch cover has boot wear and will get more when I start riding it so probably just leave them Honda aluminum grey. Seems like the hubs stay waxed and polish easier, too.