Jump to content

XR650L Going to everest Base Camp

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi

Going to Everest base camp in 2019 (amongst other countries/altitudes) ...

Anyone know what jetting is required for 17,600 feet?

Or anyone with GOOD cheap Carb that i can purchase for journey...rejet and swap over when i need instead of tweaking the jets over in the cold?

Any information welcomed.

 

Unsure what year bike is or which model other than XR650L and is located in Cambdia currently which i wil ride up and through China into Tibet (everest) and onward through Russia/Europe etc... So only info i have on this bike is the picture attached...i would guess its about 1998-2002 model and probably originated from USA rather than Australian market...but i am guessing?

 

Cheers

Christian

Edited by TaffyDrwg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the year should be on the frame by the steering head..........

your pic did not post,,,,, but yes.......... most use the same carb

you might want to contact JD Jetting & DYNO Jet Inc. and see what they recommend for 14,000-18,000 feet

they have done this before........

(you are gonna need a air compressor for the tires)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks EarthCruzn....I'll contact JD JEtting for their recommendations

 

I had read 58/158 jetting as standard for sea and every 2000 feet increase then decrease jets by 1 so i am thinking of around 50/150 or around there? So will be good to hear expert opinion like jd jetting etc...

 

Piccy of bike is attached to this one...

 

Many thanks for air compressor ti..yup not thought about that one...thanks its now on my agenda

 

cheers

 

Chris

 

 

 

xr650l-cambodia.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, yes your theory is correct the higher you go the thinner the air............ you cannot control that (unless you run compressed air)

but you can lower the tires air pressure as you go up (raise it as you go down the hill)

and lower the fuel as you go up (smaller jets)

somewhere is a fair medium and it will run perfect at a halfway point.................. good luck on your ride

Post some pics!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the potential variety of travel you have planned, I would consider buying a Lectron carb or at least giving them a call, their jetting is supposed to be close to self adjusting and might not require as many changes as other options. (they are a bit spendy, but most people running their stuff swear by it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, timbanditos said:

With the potential variety of travel you have planned, I would consider buying a Lectron carb or at least giving them a call, their jetting is supposed to be close to self adjusting and might not require as many changes as other options. (they are a bit spendy, but most people running their stuff swear by it)

Thanks great info...Yes realistically looking t these carbs and their automatic way of working things out would be the sensible way forward. However i am Welsh and dont like spending anything over £1 on anything ;) LOL

At £700 its just gonna be too expensive for me realistically although i do intend to travel on same bike for a few years so would possibly be the ideal investment?

In reality i think i will buy a stock spare carb with multiple jets so i can swap over accordingly in the evenings when i feel the power starts to drain from the stock carb jettings.

This way i will have 2 carbs the same in case issue i can use parts as sare etc....

 

Thanks i will drop them a line just in case they have a special the same price as stock carbs....Thats the Welsh in me :) LOL

 

7 hours ago, Arrowtree551 said:

Hell I'd ask lectron for a carb and test it for them FREE BABY

I'll give em a ring and try that angle but i expect they will say No?

thanks

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TaffyDrwg said:

I had read 58/158 jetting as standard for sea and every 2000 feet increase then decrease jets by 1 so i am thinking of around 50/150 or around there? So will be good to hear expert opinion like jd jetting etc...

Mine has a 158 main jet and it runs clean from sea level to 9000 feet, so dropping the size every 2000 feet can't be right.  But you might need something smaller than a 150 when you get up there.  I would wait until it starts to behave like it's running rich, then maybe go down two sizes at that point.  I would expect that three or four total jets would cover the altitude range well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ScottRNelson said:

Mine has a 158 main jet and it runs clean from sea level to 9000 feet, so dropping the size every 2000 feet can't be right.  But you might need something smaller than a 150 when you get up there.  I would wait until it starts to behave like it's running rich, then maybe go down two sizes at that point.  I would expect that three or four total jets would cover the altitude range well.

Thanks Scott...Thats good to know :)

In UK i have travelled everywhere on XR650R and also never needed any rejetting other than stock.

But for me breathinng at 17,500 will be difficult i am guessing so it must have same effect on Carbs?

I got the minus 1 on jet per 2000 from some other forum, so this was my only guide.

I was actually hoping some entrepid XR650L'er had been to Everest Base camp and would donate their Carb to me preset up whilst descibing exactly where i would need to change it and change back again LOL

Alas they have not spoken yet ;)

I think ultimately my route will be to purchase a new stock oem carb and request Honda's offical answer on excatly which Jet would be most suitable.

As was i beleive pointed out earlier the jetting will only be correct as an optimum for said altitude and no doubt the stages before and after that altitude would be less than optimum. The Lectron carb sounds most appropriate but am very aprehensive over new unproven (to me) tehcnology so hence sticking with Stock oem Carb (meaning i have 2 so spares also should need arise for rest of journey)

As im not familiar with terrain and exact needs for altitude (having a meeting on 18th Jan to discuss finites) then i am in dilema over average high altitude we will be doing over Everest stages so guessing this will reflect on mean jetting requirement for optimums....I just dont want to kill bike trying to get to Base Camp through my own negligence over jet size and its performance at such high altitudes.

Once i have full facts i will publish exact jetting chosen/Reasons for this and at end of trip maybe update on performance for any other budding Everest Xr'ers

Thanks for your input Scott, much appreciated

 

cheers

 

Christian

Edited by TaffyDrwg
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EC mentioned an Air Compressor.....I'd also throw a spare spark plug or 2 in. Encase ya foul one out being too rich. 

(Probably already have a tool box full of extra equipment though).

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can also fudge it by jetting for having the intake restricted a skosh then removing intake restrictions as you get to higher elevations.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2019 at 8:56 PM, EarthCruzn said:

Nice, yes your theory is correct the higher you go the thinner the air............ you cannot control that (unless you run compressed air)

but you can lower the tires air pressure as you go up (raise it as you go down the hill)

and lower the fuel as you go up (smaller jets)

somewhere is a fair medium and it will run perfect at a halfway point.................. good luck on your ride

Post some pics!

Thanks for your input, yup just looking for info from someone who know what that perfect halfpoint jetting need is....Plenty of XR650L must have done this route previously?

I will definately document my actuals during/after the trip for all who wish to do similar journey

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, WvChamp said:

EC mentioned an Air Compressor.....I'd also throw a spare spark plug or 2 in. Encase ya foul one out being too rich. 

(Probably already have a tool box full of extra equipment though).

 

Thanks

 

Yes will have spare sparks/reg/rect/carb/cables/levers/tubes/tyres/battery so hopefully all potentials covered

 

:)

Edited by TaffyDrwg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, XR650L_Dave said:

You can also fudge it by jetting for having the intake restricted a skosh then removing intake restrictions as you get to higher elevations.

Thanks

 

yes i guess there maybe some such djustments as i go along...i really hoped to mimic some previous fudgers actuals so i could prempt them ready LOL

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you will be having too much fun! Enjoy the ride, take LOTS of pictures, say "Hi, how you doing? Have a nice day." for me and take pots of pictures. 

Toby and Winston say that you should, at the vary least, have a pare of "Alpaca fiber" socks so your feet don't get cold*!

IMG_20181003_081206.jpg.2b9c85620de18392d6704d9ffefef447.jpg

* Alpaca fiber will keep you warmer at high elivation better than sheep's wool. The Spanish found that out in South America a few centuries ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, irme42day said:

Sounds like you will be having too much fun! Enjoy the ride, take LOTS of pictures, say "Hi, how you doing? Have a nice day." for me and take pots of pictures. 

Toby and Winston say that you should, at the vary least, have a pare of "Alpaca fiber" socks so your feet don't get cold*!

IMG_20181003_081206.jpg.2b9c85620de18392d6704d9ffefef447.jpg

* Alpaca fiber will keep you warmer at high elivation better than sheep's wool. The Spanish found that out in South America a few centuries ago.

OK i was taking Seal-Skin socks (cos i own them already) but Alpaca fiber socks i now on the list if they keep me warm! Thanks

 

In fact i just ordered 1 pair to test from fleabay ...Thanks

 

 

Edited by TaffyDrwg
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

chances ae the worst you will experience is a flat tire...……….BUT

read up on how to by-pass the (kickstand/clutch/neutral) safety switches,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EarthCruzn said:

chances ae the worst you will experience is a flat tire...……….BUT

read up on how to by-pass the (kickstand/clutch/neutral) safety switches,

 

Yes Great advice...i will add this to bed time reading....Hopefully never have to do but will defo be good to be knowledgable in case i do

 

Thanks excellent advice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK : So i have exhausted my focus on alternative auto carbs and concluded STOCK OEM CARB is way forward for me

Just purchased one online....So that is now sorted.

So just need Altitude Chart to confirm Jetting needs

I invisage day 20= some altitude range  21= less altitude riding range  day 22= Really steep incline altitiude range day 23=Everest up to 17300 feet altitude as an example

say  day 20 jet= 142/150  day 21 jet=144/153 day 23 jet= 139/148 as example though i know these are not correct

Below link is a snippet from BMW BING CARBS Altitude hieght and how to make correct jet for your journey so hoping there was similar information somewhere for XR650L Carbs? Well worth a read to any BMW altitude riders

 

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tech/carbjet

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I run the stock carb on my XRL a 52 pilot jet and 152 main jet.  It carberates cleanly from sea level to over 12,000 feet.  Your way overthinking this, leave the stock jetting in.  I'll bet you won't have to rejet it.

Edited by baldy110
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×