Financing New Bike or Buy Used?

Im in a pickle. I am old enough now to be able to buy a nice bike and have the funds to do so. I can go with a used (but very low hour nice) 2016 KTM 350sxf and only need to add handguards and maybe a gripper seat cover or go to a dealership and buy a 2018 YZ450F and have to add all the woods mods to it. I have seriously considered putting 5k down on a 2018 and not have hardly a payment at all. But I would like to hear what you guys have done or “would do” in my situation.

Im in a pickle. I am old enough now to be able to buy a nice bike and have the funds to do so. I can go with a used (but very low hour nice) 2016 KTM 350sxf and only need to add handguards and maybe a gripper seat cover or go to a dealership and buy a 2018 YZ450F and have to add all the woods mods to it. I have seriously considered putting 5k down on a 2018 and not have hardly a payment at all. But I would like to hear what you guys have done or “would do” in my situation.

Go new if you have the means! Why but someone’s possible problem
  • Like 4

You have a bit of a dilemma because you’re debating about 2 different machines and new vs used. If you were asking for advice on a full blown finance with nothing down I doubt you’ll get much support on here given what’s been posted previously. If you’re going to put down more than half you shouldn’t be under water at any time. If this means that getting a new bike is within reach then I don’t think this is a problem. The Yamaha has a great reliability record so it’s a good buy if you keep it for years. 

On the other hand no payments mean that you have more cash flow for things like tires, wear parts and beer after the ride!

I have a slightly different take. In theory, I could have bought my 350 outright. However, I like to have a nice cushion of cash for rainy days. I'm talking about spending cash, not savings or investments, that money doesn't get touched. With low APR loans, paying a bike off in, say, 6 months, results in very little money going to interest. An amount I can live with. So, I still get my toy, but I sleep better at night. 

Edited by Horgh
  • Like 3

You have a bit of a dilemma because you’re debating about 2 different machines and new vs used. If you were asking for advice on a full blown finance with nothing down I doubt you’ll get much support on here given what’s been posted previously. If you’re going to put down more than half you shouldn’t be under water at any time. If this means that getting a new bike is within reach then I don’t think this is a problem. The Yamaha has a great reliability record so it’s a good buy if you keep it for years. 
On the other hand no payments mean that you have more cash flow for things like tires, wear parts and beer after the ride!

See thats also something else i factored into the mix. I could get the yz450f but it need $500 put into immediately for handguards, skidplate, etc things to setup it for woods or buy the 350 and it already have everything besides the handguards. More money for anything else i want to add to the 350 and RIDING PASS money too....

I guess I'll bring up what hasn't been said... and that's that neither of the bikes on your list is actually a woods bike. Have they been converted? Suspension, gearing, flywheel, etc... that's why I recommended an (E)XC-F. You may be looking at a lot more up-front investment once you take an MX bike into the woods and it's a pain to ride. Of course if that's your riding style or what you like, then ignore what I said.

• Like 2

I guess I'll bring up what hasn't been said... and that's that neither of the bikes on your list is actually a woods bike. Have they been converted? Suspension, gearing, flywheel, etc... that's why I recommended an (E)XC-F. You may be looking at a lot more up-front investment once you take an MX bike into the woods and it's a pain to ride. Of course if that's your riding style or what you like, then ignore what I said.

Thanks for the input. I overly prefer mx bikes to enduro bikes unless its a YZ-FX or XCF but good luck finding one that someone does not think is literally the only one in existence asking way over used price for it anywhere within a 500 mile radius. Every person at the local trails and races runs MX bikes except the few older guys who have more money to burn than the government because they are cheaper to get, easier to sell, and cheaper to convert with a few simple things. A rekluse, handguards, skidplate, 18” rear is WAY cheaper than buying the exc or yz-fx or xcf.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Horgh said:

I have a slightly different take. I'm theory, I could have bought my 350 outright. However, I like to have a nice cushion of cash for rainy days. I'm talking about spending cash, not savings or investments, that money doesn't get touched. With low APR loans, paying a bike off in, say, 6 months, results in very little money going to interest. An amount I can live with. So, I still get my toy, but I sleep better at night. 

That makes a certain amount of sense. This is not an original topic and what we usually get is the guy who's going to finance at 5% and make 20% in the market with his cash.

Of course the debt is real, and the market returns aren't necessarily, at least over the life of the loan.

14 hours ago, RidingWithStyle said:

So you are looking at a new YZ450F.  Just go with the FX in either 250 or 450, it is the off road oriented version.  It will cost you a lot less than a new orange bike, don't buy into the orange hype.  If you want a 2t the YZ250X is probably the best value out there.  Go new if you can afford it, but go blue, you will have extra money then to personalize the bike. ?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, RidingWithStyle said:

Thanks for the input. I overly prefer mx bikes to enduro bikes unless its a YZ-FX or XCF but good luck finding one that someone does not think is literally the only one in existence asking way over used price for it anywhere within a 500 mile radius. Every person at the local trails and races runs MX bikes except the few older guys who have more money to burn than the government because they are cheaper to get, easier to sell, and cheaper to convert with a few simple things. A rekluse, handguards, skidplate, 18” rear is WAY cheaper than buying the exc or yz-fx or xcf.

Is it? Because around here the yz450fx is only 300 dollars more than a yz450f brand new. Comes with a bigger frame guard, 18 inch rear tire, kick stand, heavier flywheel, slightly wider ratio 5 speed. I don't think you buy those things for 300 dollars assuming you would like those things. All you need to do on the FX is handguards and depending on the dealer they might throw some on to get the deal done. But some dealers will use the rarity of the FX to stand their ground on price and accessories.

Edited by Zinergy
  • Like 3

So you are looking at a new YZ450F.  Just go with the FX in either 250 or 450, it is the off road oriented version.  It will cost you a lot less than a new orange bike, don't buy into the orange hype.  If you want a 2t the YZ250X is probably the best value out there.  Go new if you can afford it, but go blue, you will have extra money then to personalize the bike. default_wink.gif

Just sold my yz250 to go back to 4t. I liked the bike but the instant power was not for me. I was slower on it and didnt really enjoy it. The 250 is too small for me at 220 full gear and the 450 is too much for me as a trail bike. And thinking about it, buying new will cost me a lot more and I will have a payment now that that I think more into it. I spoke with a dealer and the bike is 7300 otd 2018 450f. Than he starts talking about dock fees, service fees, warranties, blah blah blah and it turns into a 9k bike. If it was 7300 otd done settled, id go get it tomorrow. The reason for wanting to go orange so bad is a 16 35hrs original all stock 350 only needing a $100 set of handguards sounds a hell of lot better than the thousand+ id have to put into a new bike. Im rabbling on but hope you got my overall point.... thanks for the input!

Is it? Because around here the yz450fx is only 300 dollars more than a yz450f brand new. Comes with a bigger frame guard, 18 inch rear tire, kick stand, heavier flywheel, slightly wider ratio 5 speed. I don't think you buy those things for 300 dollars assuming you would like those things. All you need to do on the FX is handguards and depending on the dealer they might throw some on to get the deal done. But some dealers will use the rarity of the FX to stand their ground on price and accessories.

Ive searched for months for a reasonable fx bike and have not had any luck besides like i said the person who thinks their 15 450fx beat to shit is still worth 7k. I did find one i went and saw and the e start did not work and it needed new chains and sprockets straight off. It was on the cheaper side but still....

1 hour ago, RidingWithStyle said:

Ive searched for months for a reasonable fx bike and have not had any luck besides like i said the person who thinks their 15 450fx beat to shit is still worth 7k. I did find one i went and saw and the e start did not work and it needed new chains and sprockets straight off. It was on the cheaper side but still....

I'm talking new. The fx is 300 dollars more than the f new. Do no dealers have new around you?

• Like 1