RidingWithStyle

Financing New Bike or Buy Used?

3 hours ago, RidingWithStyle said:

Just sold my yz250 to go back to 4t. I liked the bike but the instant power was not for me. I was slower on it and didnt really enjoy it. The 250 is too small for me at 220 full gear and the 450 is too much for me as a trail bike. And thinking about it, buying new will cost me a lot more and I will have a payment now that that I think more into it. I spoke with a dealer and the bike is 7300 otd 2018 450f. Than he starts talking about dock fees, service fees, warranties, blah blah blah and it turns into a 9k bike. If it was 7300 otd done settled, id go get it tomorrow. The reason for wanting to go orange so bad is a 16 35hrs original all stock 350 only needing a $100 set of handguards sounds a hell of lot better than the thousand+ id have to put into a new bike. Im rabbling on but hope you got my overall point.... thanks for the input!

Enjoy the ktm. They're great bikes

Life is too short. Buy what you will enjoy the most and go ride it. 

• Like 1

I believe anything that falls in the “want”category shouldn’t be financed. Need items like a home & car are different. Save ! Save ! Save ! I’m 43 now and am grateful for my fiscal responsibility over the years. Not saying don’t get a bike, just pay cash when you can .

• Like 1

Never borrow money to buy a non revenue producing depreciating asset.

• Like 2

If you can barely afford a down payment and/or monthly payments then it's a dumb idea. But I asked myself if a brand new bike would add some happiness to my life and now I have a new bike. Everybody situation is different, some can afford to spend money on toys, others may have other stuff that is higher priority. That's why I'm still single LOL.

• Like 3

Buy the new bike. Put down whatever you have and finance the rest. It’s only money and one day you’re gonna die. I have three bikes bought used and they always need something. Meanwhile my buddy bought a new KTM last year and so far it’s needed absolutely nothing.

• Like 2

Life is about balance. I believe in saving for retirement, but I'm not going to penny-pinch on my way there. I don't blow money, but I also buy the things I "want" along the way. Can I get everything I want? Well, no, at least not all at once, and some of it not any time soon. Will I get it eventually? Probably. Saving towards goals is good. I have a lot of fun things in my garage, all paid off, all make me smile when I see them. To me, that's what life is about.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

buy what you can afford and be happy . theres nothing wrong with financing a toy . life is too short to penny pinch and be unhappy all you're life cuz you think you have to save up for 3 yrs to buy something wou really want the frustration of wanting and not having fun and missing out is not worth it .  buy it now and make extra payments if you can , when you can . the key is to be smart about it . dont get suckered into all the dealers b.s. extra fees , dont buy the extended warranties they offer ( that dont cover much of anything ) , and be happy . as for bikes go i got an 17 rmx 450 for 7200 o.t.d. no extra fees at all tax included . the dealer giving you the o.t.d. price then adding all the "fees " on after is a scammer and you need to run as fast as you can from that place . i personally only buy from dealers that dont charge the freight and setup . the price negotiated is plus tax , registration /plates  . thats it simple and clean deal . good luck its a hard choice . i was looking at 300 2t bikes ( beta and ktm ) an old guy suggested the rmx ..... wise decision ..... very good bike !!! mx bikes are not good in the woods and you will have to spend a bunch of $$$ to convert them . if you want a woods bike , buy a woods bike . wr , rmx , beta 450s ...... 300 2t beta , ktm , husky , yz250 x .... good luck . oh yeah .... get the electric start on whatever you get . its SO NICE NOT HAVING TO KICK ALL THE TIME !!!!!! 

• Like 1