Good short-man fast dirtbike?!?

19 hours ago, JorgeL said:

What is a good dirt bike for a short 5' 8", 30" inseam dude?   My buddy can ride well, but he's just short.   My 18' Husqvarna FE350 is still too tall for him.   Power level should be equal or higher, but the seat high must be lower. 

Other than the Betas/Beta Cross Trainer mentioned above, they dont really make high powered, hi tech bikes that are shorter.  To me, the first things to address in order are:

1. Get the rear shock sag set up properly for his weight (this can include changing our the stock spring to match his weight and check the preload so the sag is equivalent to 33% of the total rear shock travel).  Cost is zero other than time.
  2. Lower the seat height by either cutting down the foam or getting an aftermarket low seat.  KTM/Husky offer lower seats from the power parts catalog.    Expect to spend $130-$200.
  3. If those don't work, look at having the suspension professionally lowered.  A number of suspension places offer mods to lower the bike.  Expect to spend $500-$1000 to have this done.

Note on my bias:  while you can use lowering links and push the front forks up in the triple clamp as another option to lower the bike, I don't like this approach because it changes the steering geometry and can affect the handling.  I already find the KTM/Husky handling to be a bit more squirrel-ly at speed than the Japanese bikes so I don't think this is the best approach especially if you are buying a high dollar/high tech bike to begin with.

Taking the approach outlined above, leaves every possible bike on the table rather than having to find the one magic manufacturer/model that may work for him.

Edited by SilvFx
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SS109 said:

As for actual bikes, the lowest new bike that I have ridden that is a full on enduro/race bike, would be the Beta RR bikes. Older low seat height bikes, but still very capable, are '11 and older GasGas and '07 and older KTM 200's.

quoted for reference because this question is fairly repetitive here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MixinGasKickinAss said:

Knee problems plus having buy clothes from the adult section :(

if you’re riding trail you need to be able to touch both feet. Yes f you’re riding mx or roads, you don’t need to touch. Op has an fe350 so I doubt he’s riding mx 

I have no trouble riding trails / harescrambles with out being able to touch either foot without sliding my butt off one side.  It just takes effort. I am 5'9" with 30" inseam.  Good idea to lower the bike if it makes you happier though. I would like to ride someone else's lowered bike just to see what it is like. 

I think having confidence is really important. Fear is the mind killer, when you're scared your fine motor skills can diminish and you're more likely to tense up, make mistakes, etc. To some (many?) being able to touch the ground on a motorcycle makes them feel a lot more secure. That may have a large impact on their learning curve and ability to take on new and more challenging obstacles. So, I'm all for lowering a bike if it means the rider will learn and make progress. They can always raise it back up once they're at that comfort level.

Edited by Horgh
  • Like 3

5'8" is short I am in big trouble, I am lucky to be 5'7" and am a 30" inseam as well, I have both a 04 CRF450R and a 1996 CR250 I have not lowered either one and I can touch, but as mentioned I am not flat footed.

So I would say pick the bike he likes first THEN adjust it to fit his speed / style and worry less about how tall it is.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JorgeL said:

What is a good dirt bike for a short 5' 8", 30" inseam dude?   My buddy can ride well, but he's just short.   My 18' Husqvarna FE350 is still too tall for him.   Power level should be equal or higher, but the seat high must be lower. 

You can shave the seat on a YZ250 without any other mods and have a seat height of just over 35 1/2" (35.63"). Great motor. Excellent suspension (valve it for your application, MX or woods). Inexpensive to buy and own. I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam.

Edited by LSHD
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, 2strokeYardSale said:

He's not short, he's a viking compared to me and others that ride full-size, unlowered bikes.

This.  I went to a Shane Watts course where someone was talking about being too short for a full size bike.  He responded with something to the order of "wouldn't you say we're about the same height?"

I'd say he was in the 5'8" area.

I’m 5’5 with a 28” inseam. I lowered a bike years ago and decided I would never do it again. I learned to adapt and became a better rider. Prior to my Husky TE 250, I rode a KTM 350XCFW which was the tallest bike I’ve ever owned. I initially put a low seat on it but went back to the stock one because I didn’t like the seating position. My buddies are all amazed that my bike almost never touches the ground even during the gnarliest Enduro’s. I’ve learned to adapt to my “handicap” which has actually made me a better rider. Changing the seating position or lowering the suspension definitely effects the way the bike handles and how the suspension performs. I wish I had his extra 2 inches of height and inseam, but I’d recommend that he ride it at stock height and he will learn to adapt. I have learned to pick better lines and how to attack technical sections more aggressively. You begin to realize that a properly set up bike can handle most stuff that you can throw at it. He will soon realize that he can handle it too. Just my humble opinion.
  • Like 3

I also have a 30" inseam. I have a Beta 300RR. Put the Seat Concepts low seat on it and can touch both feet nearly flat footed. Great bike and I feel that being able to do this helps us older slower guys. As I have gotten older my balance is not what it used to be in low speed situations and being able to dab a foot here and there is nice.

• Like 1

It definitely all comes down to skill. For my first dualsport I bought a klx650c. Shaved the seat down so I could tippy t on both feet. Once I got comfortable riding I ended up putting another inch or two back on (memory foam brah) and reupholstered the seat with fake leather from an office chair. Bought a brand new drz 400s just a couple months ago. Put on 2 inch lowering links, bar raisers and lowered the forks. I haven't noticed any major differences in how the bike reacts. Canadian redneck approved. But I'm sure I'll have er back to stock height in no time anyway.

Im only 5' 9", I lowered bikes 10 years ago when I first got into riding difficult terrain, I could touch better but the skid plate took a beating and I got hung up and stuck often. Now I just shave the seat down about an inch, once you get used to only putting one foot down at a time being short isn't that big of a deal.