Gate between Mud Mounds and Catavina

In the process of firming up my routes and I see this post on advrider:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/baja-thanksgiving-ride-by-my-self.1351298/page-3#post-36492287

Been trying to find out the location of this to see if this will impact our routes after we leave El Rosario.  I think its NW of Bill Nichols trail where there appears to be a ranch...deserted boat and a few water tanks on a 2 Track road.

So if anyone knows the GPS coordinates of this fence and would like to share...I'd appreciate it.  Not looking for tracks or files, just a specific location so I can overlay it and compare to my planned route.

Mike

Edited by MX813
  • Like 1

I don't have GPS coordinates but after you come out of the mud hills cross the farm field, take a right and follow the road to the San Carlos mesa road ,take a left and follow it to the trailhead. Maybe it adds 5 miles but that will keep you from running into that gate.  Before you  get to the mesa there a couple of fences to be on the correct side of. easy to figure out

• Like 2

Thanks...Found San Carlos so assuming that main N/S road is the mesa road you are referring to.  

Here is where I think the gate is:

N29° 46.690' W115° 24.672'  - copy and paste into Google Maps.

Last year, we had to come back to here for a work around as two ranchers on that road would not let us through.

N29° 52.596' W115° 20.058'

So we worked from that point N by NW into the next arroyo and then towards El Rosario.  This year, we are reversing the route but

Not the main road in to San Carlos but the road on top of the mesa. It hits the highway at El Progresso. This road is further south of the main San Carlos road.

N29° 46.690' W115° 24.672' is where the gate is.

I don't know when your trip is, but I will be at San Carlos until around till end of march. But it's about 10 miles out of the way each way, unless you want to go the knarly mesa trail. Not recommended if loaded heavy or not an A rider

Edited by satmike
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2019 at 10:49 AM, satmike said:

Not the main road in to San Carlos but the road on top of the mesa. It hits the highway at El Progresso. This road is further south of the main San Carlos road.

N29° 46.690' W115° 24.672' is where the gate is.

I don't know when your trip is, but I will be at San Carlos until around till end of march. But it's about 10 miles out of the way each way, unless you want to go the knarly mesa trail. Not recommended if loaded heavy or not an A rider

I wonder how many riders have dropped down the mesa trail on motos? I know that griptwistertours.com have the tracks available on their self guided tour package. 

• 3 months later...

Try riding Baja at night no gps or maps IMG_0149.JPGwhen the sun goes down Nite Rider goes out .where are you at night .doing it all solo. Remember you are riding on private property ,with out permission,the roads also and the groups of riders destroying their land is causing anger and I’ve seen fences disrespected or going around their gates .I have lived and riding in north Baja for 20 years as much as possible and have rode along with other riders and have shared some of my personal single track that I spent the time to talk to the owner or owners ,of course tequila , cigs or if they would like something special goes a long way it’s always been good and the single track ended up ruined some almost unrideable . Just something to think about and sometimes I get lost and end up no other choice ?‍♂️( guilty). Wishing safe and fun rides

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

surprised grip twisters is still around. I ran into them a few years back in Catavina. All the clients (riders ) were pretty cool dudes. I cannot say the same for the head tour guide. Seemed like they would not get allot of repeat business. 

Try riding Baja at night no gps or maps IMG_0149.thumb.JPG.5a9aeec7ae45ae7c628fe1584434cd69.JPGwhen the sun goes down Nite Rider goes out .where are you at night .doing it all solo. Remember you are riding on private property ,with out permission,the roads also and the groups of riders destroying their land is causing anger and I’ve seen fences disrespected or going around their gates .I have lived and riding in north Baja for 20 years as much as possible and have rode along with other riders and have shared some of my personal single track that I spent the time to talk to the owner or owners ,of course tequila , cigs or if they would like something special goes a long way it’s always been good and the single track ended up ruined some almost unrideable . Just something to think about and sometimes I get lost and end up no other choice [emoji2369]( guilty). Wishing safe and fun rides
Try riding Baja at night? I would do better then you because I can't see in the day time. So night would be the same [emoji16]. Most of my trails are so over grown. Hard to track in daylight. No maps or gps one time on beach trail . Heavy fog rolled in one hour till dark. We where planning to sleep there as could not find way out. As luck would have it we got out
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, thetinman said:

surprised grip twisters is still around. I ran into them a few years back in Catavina. All the clients (riders ) were pretty cool dudes. I cannot say the same for the head tour guide. Seemed like they would not get allot of repeat business. 

I can't help but wonder if I was on that tour a few years ago? I was riding their tour on a 950 Adventure and a couple guys in Cativina, one shorter guy on a CRF450X and an arsenal vest, was going on and on about how I couldn't ride that bike on the trails they just rode. The bike could do it, but I couldn't... They never saw our group on the trails and have no clue as to my abilities.

The 2 dude then asked if they could use a chain and lock to secure their bikes to ours. Naturally, because of the liability our guide politely declined. 

Based on my experience, repeat business, and repeat business of multiple client, I think the owner of griptwistertour is great. He's extremely accommodating of his clients and is willing to take them the extra mile to ensure nobody goes home without an adventure.

Edited by Eldon

I apologize for any misunderstanding on my part. I'm hopeful we'd all have an enjoyable interaction if/when we cross paths again.

I'm jealous that you'll be their in March/April. This was my first year missing Baja in a while and I don't think I'll be going next year. I need to pair back the week-long riding vacation while my daughters are so young. In a few years though...