MX813

Gate between Mud Mounds and Catavina

Posted (edited)

In the process of firming up my routes and I see this post on advrider:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/baja-thanksgiving-ride-by-my-self.1351298/page-3#post-36492287

Been trying to find out the location of this to see if this will impact our routes after we leave El Rosario.  I think its NW of Bill Nichols trail where there appears to be a ranch...deserted boat and a few water tanks on a 2 Track road.

So if anyone knows the GPS coordinates of this fence and would like to share...I'd appreciate it.  Not looking for tracks or files, just a specific location so I can overlay it and compare to my planned route.

Mike

Edited by MX813

I don't have GPS coordinates but after you come out of the mud hills cross the farm field, take a right and follow the road to the San Carlos mesa road ,take a left and follow it to the trailhead. Maybe it adds 5 miles but that will keep you from running into that gate.  Before you  get to the mesa there a couple of fences to be on the correct side of. easy to figure out

• Like 2

Thanks...Found San Carlos so assuming that main N/S road is the mesa road you are referring to.  

Here is where I think the gate is:

N29° 46.690' W115° 24.672'  - copy and paste into Google Maps.

Last year, we had to come back to here for a work around as two ranchers on that road would not let us through.

N29° 52.596' W115° 20.058'

So we worked from that point N by NW into the next arroyo and then towards El Rosario.  This year, we are reversing the route but

Posted (edited)

Not the main road in to San Carlos but the road on top of the mesa. It hits the highway at El Progresso. This road is further south of the main San Carlos road.

N29° 46.690' W115° 24.672' is where the gate is.

I don't know when your trip is, but I will be at San Carlos until around till end of march. But it's about 10 miles out of the way each way, unless you want to go the knarly mesa trail. Not recommended if loaded heavy or not an A rider

Edited by satmike
  • Like 2

Thanks fro the gps coordinate.  Our route goes N by NE of that area about 5 miles so no issues there.

We will be in Baja 13FEB-22FEB

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 10:49 AM, satmike said:

Not the main road in to San Carlos but the road on top of the mesa. It hits the highway at El Progresso. This road is further south of the main San Carlos road.

N29° 46.690' W115° 24.672' is where the gate is.

I don't know when your trip is, but I will be at San Carlos until around till end of march. But it's about 10 miles out of the way each way, unless you want to go the knarly mesa trail. Not recommended if loaded heavy or not an A rider

I wonder how many riders have dropped down the mesa trail on motos? I know that griptwistertours.com have the tracks available on their self guided tour package.