Julianfalck

Cooling fan for CRF450X?

I was out riding some trails on my old xl250 along with a bunch of exc’s and i noticed their electric fans were running a whole lot on the breaks after climbibg and what not.. my 09 450x is not electrical cooled.. will it be an issue when i start riding on that? Do you fit electrical cooling on your bikes?

Do you boil your coolant frequently? If not, then don't worry about it (assuming you still have coolant left in your radiators to boil).

I put one on my WR because I was boiling over in some of the more technical rides and the fan cured it 100%.

Posted (edited)

I run a cheap 5$ computer fan on my CRF250X,

(by memory the size is 120x120mm x 25mm thick, 12volts / 0.4 amps)

It's going on it's 4th season now.

Nothing fancy, just a fused circuit off the battery with a triple clamp mounted toggle switch.

I flip in on when anticipating low speed trail crawling, flip it off when the pace gets faster.

Draws so little current I leave it on all the time in warmer weather.

It works so well in keeping the temps down I've even removed the coolant overflow bottle from the bike to save some weight.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I was out riding some trails on my old xl250 along with a bunch of exc’s and i noticed their electric fans were running a whole lot on the breaks after climbibg and what not.. my 09 450x is not electrical cooled.. will it be an issue when i start riding on that? Do you fit electrical cooling on your bikes?

My '05 450X doesn't need one...even on difficult, slow rides in the Arizona summer...just clean rads, fresh rad fluid, and proper jetting.

just clean rads, fresh rad fluid, and proper jetting.

It really depends on what and where you ride.

Lot's of steep and/or technical terrain  (where your going slow), or major changes in altitude (throwing the jetting off) and your more likely to need one, even if everything is in good shape.

Jim.

just clean rads, fresh rad fluid, and proper jetting.
Lot's of steep and/or technical terrain  (where your going slow), or major changes in altitude (throwing the jetting off) and your more likely to need one, even if everything is in good shape.
Jim.

yeah...I've seen a lot of folks adding them on here...I ride slow technical stuff with steep climbs in 100F+ heat with about a 1000 ft elevation change...it has never over-filled the over flow tank.

I just wonder if guys are riding with too lean of carby jetting???

I just wanted to add at least one contrary piece of data/opinion to the 'need' to add rad fans to a 450X.

Richard

Well, i'm riding mostly technical slow stuff, lots of idling, no speed to get airflow through the rads.

and semi hard enduro. logs, hills, rocks this sort.

All the guys i ride with are on KTM's and as i said their fans are on quite a lot. 

Since i've been on air cooled bikes until i got this 09 450x i haven't had the problem. and who knows i might not run in to it.

But if i boil i'm fitting a fan :-) all there is to it.. just wanted to know what you guys think.

But if i boil i'm fitting a fan 🙂 all there is to it.. just wanted to know what you guys think.

I think given what you've said, I'd put a fan on it regardless.  It's better for your motor to stay at an even temp.

I would suggest though if you don't spend the $100 and put a fan on it, at least put a temp strip on the top of the rad so you know how hot you are getting.  That way you can at least take a glance from time to time and stop before you get to the point of boiling over.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman
  • Like 1

You are probably right.. Denmark is a bit cold these first couple of months, so i won't be stressing about it 😉 

Ktm fans run because they are like a delicate flower... 450x is more of a rock that needs gas, oil changes and ss valves

• Like 2

Ktm fans run because they are like a delicate flower... 450x is more of a rock that needs gas, oil changes and ss valves

🤣 flame on!!!

🤣 flame on!!!

My wife’s trail bike is a Berg TE 250, more of a ribbing than a flame.

2 words for ya... kick stand!

Better to have a fan on and not really need it,

than to overheat/boil over one time too many and blow a head gasket.

For a whopping 10$ investment you get a computer fan, toggle switch, fuse holder, a length of wiring but best of all, more peace of mind.

Edited by mlatour

On 1/15/2019 at 10:34 AM, Sofiedog said:

Jim.

yeah...I've seen a lot of folks adding them on here...I ride slow technical stuff with steep climbs in 100F+ heat with about a 1000 ft elevation change...it has never over-filled the over flow tank.

I just wonder if guys are riding with too lean of carby jetting???

I just wanted to add at least one contrary piece of data/opinion to the 'need' to add rad fans to a 450X.

Richard

Richard ..... I am about to jet my never apart carb from a 05 crf450x.  What are you using, jetting, etc.... to keep your bike running cool?

650 hours on an 06, 152, 45, NCYS on 3rd, 50 leak since hour 130 with an 02 cam and a pipe.  I live at 7000', ride up to 9500' and all over Baja. Boiled it maybe 3 times.

Wife has an 05 w 162, jd red on the 4th, 45 and a 50 leak jet and has run that for 294 hours with a pipe and air box opened.  Same altitudes, might have boiled it once.

Im building an 09, the 02 cam goes to the wife and I have an 08R cam for my new rig.  NCYS on 3rd, 158, 45, 50 leak with the 08 cam, pipe and same power bomb.  Ultimate power is great, I still need 130 miles range on the 3.2 tank.  Hope to be able to fire her up mañana for the first time post build. The high is supposed to be 53, like summer time!!!