hawaiidirtrider

Who runs a wider rear rim for offroad?

7 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

2006 and 2012 WR450F. I don’t recall the exact tires I used in 140s since it’s been a few years, but I have tried multiple 140s and they all seemed to have the same issue for me.

Well I guess it’s a good thing I don’t ride wr 450f’s . I’ve read references to knobs hitting but not seen it.

Ive seen giant terraflex tires on 2.5” width hybrid cr 500 hondas locally and it clears on a couple of bikes locally Ive seen. 

Ive had some recommend to me not go that big on a rear tire for my old cr 250 . The argument was that the clutch shouldn’t handle more traction. I don’t know. I’ve had no evidence of that. I did change out my clutch every one or 2 years usually with a tusk clutch. No problem. My Dad made and others locally made “ frankenstein” type hybrid kx 125 chassis with kdx 200 motors with big bore kit 240 top ends and my Dad made wider rear rim setups for those bikes for an edge on the super slippery mud days. Again no clutch issues. Of course for bigger bore bikes it’s a zero issue. Just saying as I’ve heard that argument against going against a bigger wider rear rim for lower cc bikes. 

I actually haven’t heard of guys on 125’s going wider rim. .. just going to 18” rear rim. Makes sense.

28 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

2006 and 2012 WR450F. I don’t recall the exact tires I used in 140s since it’s been a few years, but I have tried multiple 140s and they all seemed to have the same issue for me.

I think it really does depend on the 140 tire we are talking about too. Some 140’s look smaller than some 120’s. The actual tire width and style of tire is not universal. I really haven’t seen a tire much bigger than an M5B 140 except maybe if going into the adventure side of tires which Im clueless to. The terraflex is retarded huge though. I wouldn’t go that route unless going with a 500 2t for ex. .. Big tire.

On 1/12/2019 at 1:19 AM, hawaiidirtrider said:

Just for reference here’s my cr 250 with a 2.5” rear rim . Just to see since this seems to be a more rare mod these days. 

Thats some thick Buchanan stainless spokes and the stock hubs were chromed. It looks nice and it’s easier to clean. 

DD4941FB-8060-4441-B0F4-EF3836812E1A.jpeg

I was running motoz terrapactor 120 tires but they didn’t have soft compounds like they do now.. might check into that..

BF6A8B3A-647B-42EA-BC04-51456E718303.png

• Like 1

I was trying to find examples of wider wheel setups from old family riding pics... not doing so good..  . So far only found this one . I guess we never bothered to take pictures much. 

As an example in this not very clear picture is a wider rear rim hybrid bike. It’s a kx 125 chassis with a kdx 200 motor with a 240 big bore top end. It’s got a 2.5” ( I think?) width rear rim or wider. It’s got a custom cage pipe guard and of course a nice machete. That’s like a late 80’s ? Early 90’s bike?? Forget now.

6A29F3C2-A4D1-4F4C-87CA-5333EF36D171.jpeg