17 RR-S Wiring Question

I'm looking for wiring information for my 2017 390 RR-S. I would like to re-wire the right side kill switch and turn it into an on/off headlight switch.  It would also be nice to convert the left side headlamp flash to pass switch back to a kill switch like the previous year models were. I have looked at the Beta website for wiring diagrams, but a 2014 RS is the closest wiring diagram I can find. The 2017 RR-S 4T engine manuals are available, but no wiring info. Am I missing it somewhere? Anybody else try this modification that can help? 

Thanks

Ok, I'll try again. Has anybody installed an on/off switch in the lighting circuit on their RR-S? I just want to be able to turn off the lights to help keep the battery up. Some rides require a whole lot of starting and stopping to clear the trail. (down trees, rocks, fell off the trail, etc.)

Anyone?

This might not be of any help but, since I had installed the Motominded/Baja Designs Squadron Pro, when I switch to High Beam, it shuts off the headlight as the Squadron Pro is either on or off and I did not opt for the optional dimmer-thingy.  I'm now all or none.  

If it were me, I'd just take the headlight mask off and just splice a switch into the headlight wire(s).  

• Like 1

https://www.betausa.com/sites/default/files/enduroServiceInformation/2014%20RS%20wire%20diagram.JPG

Says it's for 2014 but I suspect the wiring hasn't really changed significantly (if at all). If you look at the 'Beam Switch' it appears that all you'd have to do is put a switch on the white/blue wire coming into the high/low beam switch. I didn't trace everything to make sure though.

I would think it's fairly easy to wire in a switch to just turn off the headlight but I think it's more than that causing the flat battery - correct me if I'm wrong. I ride once in a while with a fellow who rides a 2017 390, the last time out we had a lot of downed timber to deal with, plus he put it over the side of the trail a number of times and by the end of the ride I had to swap out batteries with him. We came to the conclusion that if he did not turn off the switch the fuel inj. system was drawing current, anyway I was able to kick start and continue and even had enough to use the button within five or six miles and my battery seemed to turn over his bike better than ever. By the way I had just replaced the original battery in my bike the week before.

• Like 1

^^This

I have used the ignition switch to shut off the bike from day 1. If you use the kill switch and let the bike sit with the ignition on, you're going to eventually zap the battery. On restart you'll have to let your fuel pump cycle each time though. 

Frequently kill/start on these bikes is tough on them. The staters and wiring are small and really not designed for constant start/stop unlike, say a dualsport bike with large starter. Same on the 2-strokes. I've watched a few guys kill a battery by start/stop multiple times in a row trying to make a climb. 

As a hard and fast rule for myself and my RR-S, they key gets turned OFF every time the bike needs to be shut off.  I NEVER use the red kill button above the start button.  The keyswitch is the on and off or yes, the battery dies in minutes if the key is left on.  

I have never had a problem with battery drain of any kind or non-starting when I key-OFF anytime I need to shut the bike down.  

• Like 1

If I access the wires at the headlight, the headlight is the only circuit that I will shut off. The taillight will be on.

The wiring of the switches is the big change from 2014 to 2017. The 2014's switches have different functions than the switches on my 2017.

Hey Tom, it was ME that you were riding with. My leaving the key on while we pulled Gary back up on the trail killed my battery. We had started/stopped many times previously, and it was hot. The fan had been running for awhile. That day made me decide to install a light switch to help with battery charging/recovery. I have used the key ever since that day and all has been well.  ( I hope you are "wintering" well - it's been awfully nice this year!)

I have learned from experience that the kick-starter is just about useless in those conditions. You might as well just remove it and save the weight!

• Like 1

Hey Ben - that is exactly why I want to turn that button into an on/off switch for the headlights. That way I can NEVER kill the bike and leave the key on again!

4 minutes ago, Chippie said:

Hey Ben - that is exactly why I want to turn that button into an on/off switch for the headlights. That way I can NEVER kill the bike and leave the key on again!

Just curious why not just shut off the ignition? 

Even with headlight off, tail light and fuel pump would be draw. 

I think part of the original point may have been missed. Turning off the lights frees up wattage that can be used to charge the battery during the time it is running. Also if you don't need the lights, it's just wasted energy anyhow.

Having owned many bikes that had off/on light switches, I'd rather not worry about remembering to turn them on.. but that's just me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Just curious why not just shut off the ignition? 

Even with headlight off, tail light and fuel pump would be draw. 

I agree, why not just use the key?  

Leaving a bike idling is not good practice no matter which way one tries to justify it.  

The $300 solution is to get a MotoMinded Squadron Pro.  That way one has the very best night-lighting and when the blue high-beam indicator is on, the headlight is OFF.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 1

when I stop on the trail to let my buddies catch up, I don't like to turn off the key. Then I have to wait for the fuel pump to prime, so I just use the kill switch. When my buddy with a 430 does this and his headlight stay on, it drains his battery pretty quickly. I bought the sicass 3 way light switch. it has off/low/high. I don't ride in the dark by choice so I prefer to have my headlight off anyways

http://sicassracing.com/store/products/switches/sicass_switches/2015_beta_multi-function_bar_switch?cPath=105_35_37&

22 hours ago, braindead0 said:

I think part of the original point may have been missed. Turning off the lights frees up wattage that can be used to charge the battery during the time it is running. Also if you don't need the lights, it's just wasted energy anyhow.

Exactly.

All I need is the correct wiring info, I will do the rest.

I do like the 3 position switch that randysoo pointed out. That would work great and I would have the park light position (dim-low power headlamp) switch position like my Baja Designs kit has. Beta has the small headlamp bulb in the RR-S housing already, it just stays on all the time with the main headlight bulb. Too bad the switch is out of stock.

RMMC has a generic one for sale a lot cheaper than sicass. It doesn't have the mini LED indicator light on top and you'd have to splice the connectors. I don't like to mess around with wiring so I paid the premium for beta correct plugs from sicass

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1195/25861/Tusk-Compact-Control-Switch-With-Headlight-Options

On 5/1/2019 at 17:20, Chippie said:

Estoy buscando información de cableado para mi 2017 390 RR-S. Me gustaría volver a cablear el interruptor de apagado del lado derecho y convertirlo en un interruptor de encendido / apagado del faro. También sería bueno convertir el flash del faro izquierdo para pasar el interruptor de nuevo a un interruptor de emergencia, como lo fueron los modelos del año anterior. He buscado en el sitio web Beta los diagramas de cableado, pero un RS 2014 es el diagrama de cableado más cercano que puedo encontrar. Los manuales del motor 2017 del RR-S 4T están disponibles, pero no hay información de cableado. ¿Me estoy perdiendo en alguna parte? ¿Alguien más intenta esta modificación que puede ayudar? 

Gracias

In case it still helps. Here you have the beta rrs electrical diagram.

Instalacion electrica Beta RRS efi.JPG

On 1/8/2019 at 6:14 AM, Chippie said:

Ok, I'll try again. Has anybody installed an on/off switch in the lighting circuit on their RR-S? I just want to be able to turn off the lights to help keep the battery up. Some rides require a whole lot of starting and stopping to clear the trail. (down trees, rocks, fell off the trail, etc.)

Anyone?

Yes, I have installed a on/off switch for the headlight. I sourced a matching switch on Amazon 

I mounted it on the right side and plugged it between the small wire connection for the headlight. I have the Squadron Pro and it works perfectly.