07 cr250 tech advice

I think your piston came apart because you had the wrong size piston in your bore.  That video showed the piston to wall clearance was way off.  If you put an A piston back in your A cylinder, you will be fine and your piston won't come apart.  The "bumps" on your head gasket always go up but you already got that figured out.  Enjoy the rebuilt motor! 

On 1/26/2019 at 5:48 AM, frdbtr said:

I think your piston came apart because you had the wrong size piston in your bore.  That video showed the piston to wall clearance was way off.  If you put an A piston back in your A cylinder, you will be fine and your piston won't come apart.  The "bumps" on your head gasket always go up but you already got that figured out.  Enjoy the rebuilt motor! 

I don't think that this clearance was normal, but, a result of a worn piston? It's weird because even the old rings appeared to be ok in the bore, their clearance was not excessive, maybe in the order of 1mm. I, however, could not connect the old piston code with a CR250 piston... who knows what kind of monkey business the previous owner was up to.

The fact that it was still working ok in that state leaves me a bit perplexed.

Has anyone else seen a piston so off in the bore, with respect to clearance?

Next step (assuming we have time to ride and wear it out) will be a replated (or new) cylinder with a matching piston, it will be done correctly next time!