Motion-Pro spoon/axle wrench toughness?

I wasn’t very confident I could put my trust in an aluminum wrench until tonight. This was my first time to use it. After adjusting my chain with it and getting very close with the Army Boot torque (missed it on lose side very little against my torque wrench) setting of 72.5 lbs. I feel much better about only carrying just it, for my axle nuts. I had cut down an old Craftsman 24 mm and mounted it to my swing-arm chain-guard tabs, but it is heavy compared to the Motion Pro. 

How much have you used yours, and has anyone ever heard of one having a failure? 

thanks - Dog

FD2B7EDC-A598-4F60-8559-7D24EA1E1407.jpeg

I don't use mine in the shop so I've only used them a couple times to test them, and.....they worked fine. I also have the 12/13mm combo and another (I don't remember the size on that one, though) and none have failed me. But like I said, they don't see regular shop use. These are more for emergency field repair.

Yes the 2 aluminum wrenches are Motion Pro..  But also notice they also managed to break a steel wrench.  Motion Pro wrenches are very good but apparently not indestructible.  I know they will easily take 100 ft lb so I can only imagine what these guys must have done to break 2.  I suspect Motion Pro will replace them if asked.  I use mine all the time for axle nuts and tire mounting.

The story did state that the nut was over torqued at the shop.  I wouldn’t doubt they used  a cheater pipe that caused a stress riser in the same area on both the aluminum ones. I thought the socket part would brake first, like on the smaller one. 

Great input, Thanks

Dog

Ya dog, I would be a little concerned about levering off and on a tire with those aluminum spoons and breaking them in the middle of nowhere. That little extra weight on the swingarm  won't be noticed.
They're plenty strong for spooning on/off tires. I've used mine many times for that.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ptgarcia said:
On 1/6/2019 at 1:23 PM, bucket list said:
Ya dog, I would be a little concerned about levering off and on a tire with those aluminum spoons and breaking them in the middle of nowhere. That little extra weight on the swingarm  won't be noticed.

They're plenty strong for spooning on/off tires. I've used mine many times for that.

The type of tires that I put on a DRZ 400 are just not that difficult to mount or dismount.    I've had tires that required a lot of force to dismount, just never on a DRZ.

• Like 1