Where to ride in May?

A few friends and I are coming out from South Carolina to ride in May.  We're going to spend 3 to 4 days in Moab and then would like to ride in Colorado for a couple of days before heading back home.  I am familiar with the San Juans but expect everything to still be closed from snowfall.  Does anyone have recommendations for any other areas to ride in early to mid-May?  

Only half of the bikes are street legal, so that may affect where we can ride.

GIF for your time:

mx3_crash001.gif

A few friends and I are coming out from South Carolina to ride in May.  We're going to spend 3 to 4 days in Moab and then would like to ride in Colorado for a couple of days before heading back home.  I am familiar with the San Juans but expect everything to still be closed from snowfall.  Does anyone have recommendations for any other areas to ride in early to mid-May?  
Only half of the bikes are street legal, so that may affect where we can ride.

GIF for your time:
mx3_crash001.gif.d73de212a1a00e71f72c63543ed9fadc.gif

You can come down to Tennessee. May be to far but the tracks don’t close for anything.

7 minutes ago, Shaun H said:

You can come down to Tennessee. May be to far but the tracks don’t close for anything.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm sure we'll make it UP to Tennessee at some point this year but we've been planning a ride out west for about a year now!  We'd love to go later in the year once the snow clears out but life happens and it's just not possible for all of us.

• Like 1

Check these to see what's open and when in Central Colorado. Check dates of individual posts.

Buena Vista, Salida, Bonanza, Sargents info '18

https://advrider.com/f/threads/buena-vista-salida-bonanza-sargents-info-18.1292183/

Buena Vista, Salida, Bonanza, Sargents info '17

https://advrider.com/f/threads/buena-vista-salida-bonanza-sargents-info-17.1217992/

Buena Vista, Salida, Bonanza, Sargents info '16

https://advrider.com/f/threads/buena-vista-salida-bonanza-sargents-info-16.1149274/

Salida/Sargents Help (somewhat dated but still useful)

https://advrider.com/f/threads/salida-sargents-help.909585/#post-22037965

Not  much in early May; much better by late May.

Moab will be very rideable in May....  Not Colorado, but schedules are a cruel limitation on options.

:ride:

Edited by ramz
add
  • Like 1

May is a bit early, but there's still lots of things that might be doable. Rabbit Valley, Peach Valley near Montrose, Burns McCoy area in Wolcott, south into Woodland Park/Divide/Rainbow falls, further south Texas Creek and Penrose commons. The good stuff in the high country won't be clear until late June best case scenario. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm sure we'll make it UP to Tennessee at some point this year but we've been planning a ride out west for about a year now!  We'd love to go later in the year once the snow clears out but life happens and it's just not possible for all of us.

Trails just outside of Mancos Colorado about 2hrs from Moab has the lower trails open by May. If not drive another hour and ride all trails around Farmington.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have you ever been to Moab?  Just not sure what your priorities are.  Even though Moab is cool, I usually only like to spend 1-2 days riding the usual Moab stuff.  I usually can only handle so much of the Jeep width trails.  They’re hammered out and somewhat boring IMO.  If it were me, I’d probably try to make 1-2 days of your “Moab” riding the White Wash area and/or San Rafael Swell and/or Chimney Rock.  These areas have a bunch more single track options.  White Wash can be done if you’re staying in Moab, but if you do San Rafael Swell or Chimeny Rock, I’d stage from Green River, UT if possible. 

Edited by dhdrider