cjjeepercreeper

15 years later, Honda did it, released an updated modern XR250R, the CRF250F!

1 hour ago, redhurricane said:

wait, I thought it was the 99 kx250 motor that was awesome. 

It is but the gearbox no worky for trail riding. Needs kdx250 transmission installed. Truth be told, the 04 is better but same mx transmission. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Ajp, gasgas, beta, gpx moto etc all need to snap up the ttr250 motor and modernize it. It would sell like mad. At least I’d buy one if installed in a bigger framed bike. Did I mention that this motor is awesome? :)

The rest of the bike just falls apart around a very good engine. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, redhurricane said:

You know my opinion on well priced bikes. No, you don't need to fork over $10K to get something far superior to an XR. If you want a low cost entry level trail bike, they have that- the 230F. 

34.3" seat height after lowering it 1.5", GOBS of torque and manageable power- delivery is linear and smooth. Electric start. 234# loaded with fuel, 216# without the 2.25 gallons of fuel (that 31# is a big improvement). 10% smaller frame than a typical full size bike. Street legal from the dealer for most states other than California. $7599 MSRP and can be had for less if you shop some dealers. Still quite shy of the $10K ceiling. IMO, this is what Honda needs to chase. Keep the 230F for the low cost entry level bike. make a hybrid performance machine for those short in stature, but with some real performance attributes like this thing I bought. 

2018 Beta Xtrainer. 

image.png.7ffb35ad476a3439c5ad0c244571abe9.pngimage.thumb.png.e92247b283c0cc3e01f0b8e74280b014.pngimage.png.8d8052c092d886e9e74dee90b1121f0f.png

This thread needs more x-trainer pics! Here’s a riding buddy’s bike that he just got! So sexy. 

EF626D94-AFE0-4B01-BF08-3CC10B8F9621.jpeg

0AE09D5B-1C31-4F72-B24B-BD5F209F1A92.jpeg

477E3E20-E1AA-491E-A464-7AB9AD6CB8B6.jpeg

999926E0-2823-49B7-BB4F-673BFA64D7FB.jpeg

• Like 5

On 1/7/2019 at 2:23 PM, HevyRotashunz said:
On 1/7/2019 at 1:54 PM, offrd beatr said:

The rest of the bike just falls apart around a very good engine. 

Like a Dodge diesel. Reminds me, gotta work on some electrical gremlins when i get home.

Time to upgrade then...IMO, the face-lifted 3rd gens are built better than the earlier ones. I've owned both, the newer one isn't plagued with cracked dashboards, rattles, wind noise, and random CEL's.

Hmm, if somebody figures out how to add sixth gear to this bike and get it up to 300 CC's, my CRF250L will be looking for a new home...

• Like 1

It's not really an upgrade on the xr250r....

In my opinion it's not even close... 

96 and up XR250R is a HELL of a machine with just a few mods... Not replacements... mods...

• Like 5

8 hours ago, mixxer said:

It's not really an upgrade on the xr250r....

In my opinion it's not even close... 

96 and up XR250R is a HELL of a machine with just a few mods... Not replacements... mods...

Agreed.  Durable, Effective, Reliable, and Simple...  A bike than do well just about anywhere.  Forks are so-so but good enough...

• Like 1

Kills me new modern Updated CRF250f    More like O ld   B fore   S old     OBS.    heavy 5 sp  no susp.  Now talking about big bore kits for it. Himm my old Xr250s where 300cc and  305 stroker  same heavy weight but they where modern 6 gears. 

• Like 3

On 1/7/2019 at 10:19 AM, offrd beatr said:

I've been eyeballing an XT for the wife. She has a 2003 TTR250 now but it's really heavy and it's worn out it's already lame suspension to the point that it's not worth fixing. I've heard people say the trainer is great but lately there is a surge of hate for them. 

They are awesome bikes but more aggressive than many want or can handle. Mine nearly killed its first owner, hurt me bad, put the third owner in the hospital, and I don't know beyond that. Too much for all of us, even dialed way back. Here is my take:

http://bit.ly/2KcnMoX

Loved it but without the reflexes I need something a little less responsive.

Edited by RedMesa

Time to upgrade then...IMO, the face-lifted 3rd gens are built better than the earlier ones. I've owned both, the newer one isn't plagued with cracked dashboards, rattles, wind noise, and random CEL's.
I'll never sell my 05 lol. It's solid inside, no squeaks or rattles at all at 250k miles. My heater selector switch died, which is annoying.

18 minutes ago, HevyRotashunz said:
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:46 PM, Sierra_rider said:

I'll never sell my 05 lol. It's solid inside, no squeaks or rattles at all at 250k miles. My heater selector switch died, which is annoying.

I would never sell my 96 hi output Dodge 4x4 manual trans. Still even has 96 rad hoses stock clutch. No rattles or cracked dash stock Indj pump not touched. Way more reliably then late one with greater MPGs

• Like 1

I am going to buy one of these new 2019 Honda CRF-250F models as soon as my local dealer gets one in stock. I am sure it will be a great motorcycle and very good quality because it is a Honda. I also might buy another new 2019 Honda CRF-230F while I am there. I already have a 2015 Honda CRF-230F that I bought new for my son in law (novice rider) to ride on our 100+ acres of property in the mountains of NC when they visit us from Florida. The CRF-230F is a very fun motorcycle to ride on the trails and is a great play bike. I ride it a lot myself and really enjoy it. It has been very reliable, and is easy and inexpensive to maintain. I have changed out the jets and needle, removed the air box top, installed a Twin Air filter, and added a DG R Series round slip on pipe. I also put on a set of Michelin S12 XC tires, some Renthal CRF-150R adult bend bars, Acerbis Pro Rally handguards, and a Works Connection skid plate. I also added a lot of other aftermarket stuff on it too. I took off all the stock plastic when it was new and replaced it with UFO plastic. I do this with all of my dirt bikes when they are new to protect the original plastic and graphics. I am going to work on the suspension next, and keep fixing it up. I also have my beloved 2-Strokes and some other bikes to ride as well. I really enjoy riding my 2005 Yamaha YZ-125, it is a blast and it is my favorite one to ride. I have done a lot of modifications to the YZ-125 and added lots of aftermarket goodies to make it a very trick ride. But I am looking forward to getting the new 2019 Honda CRF-250F out on our trails.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RedMesa said:

They are awesome bikes but more aggressive than many want or can handle. Mine nearly killed its first owner, hurt me bad, put the third owner in the hospital, and I don't know beyond that. Too much for all of us, even dialed way back. Here is my take:

http://bit.ly/2KcnMoX

Loved it but without the reflexes I need something a little less responsive.

She's no newb. I bet she has a hundred miles worth of CR500 riding under her belt. Also '14 WR450 and she loves my '19 300 XCW. In comparison to these bikes, the Xtrainer is pretty mild mannered. 

15 hours ago, bajatrailrider said:

Kills me new modern Updated CRF250f    More like O ld   B fore   S old     OBS.    heavy 5 sp  no susp.  Now talking about big bore kits for it. Himm my old Xr250s where 300cc and  305 stroker  same heavy weight but they where modern 6 gears. 

And they started out with better suspension that may have needed tuning, but not replacement right out of the gate....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, offrd beatr said:

She's no newb. I bet she has a hundred miles worth of CR500 riding under her belt. Also '14 WR450 and she loves my '19 300 XCW. In comparison to these bikes, the Xtrainer is pretty mild mannered. 

Could be a good choice then. Just pointing out the responsiveness needs to be matched to the rider.

• Like 1