Cabo

Old guy new hobby

1. What is your skill Level (be honest)?   Novice on a dirt bike (Sportsman sections on a trials bike)

2. What's your height & weight?  6'2 220lbs

3. What year, make, & model of motorcycle are you coming from? And, what do you want the new bike to do better?  Trials 300 Scorpa, better on trails.

4. What's your ballpark budget?  Whatever, I always buy new and sell at a loss...lol

5. What types of terrain will you be riding?  Single track woods

6. Will you be racing or just play riding?  Just playing

I got into the dirt bike thing at 50, been riding road bikes for years but gave that up after moving back east.  Bought a 350 exc-f to ride with my buddies and decided that was to much of everything for a new woods rider like myself.  Did a lot of reading on the subject and decided a trials bike would be a decent way to start learning some of the skills I didn't have in the woods.  Love the hell out of riding my trials bike and have been doing for a couple years at least a few times a week in trials areas and single track, it's so much fun!  Still wanting a dirt bike to ride with other guys that don't have trials bikes.  I've been thinking about...

Beta Xtrainer  (Love my 2 stroke trials bike)

WR250F, CRF250X  (These two seem to be the logical choice based on all the reading and videos)

I'd love to stay on a 2 stroke but I'm thinking anything new and I'll be back in the same situation I was with the 350, to much of a good thing.  I've ridden a 2011 YZ250 a bit and honestly it was a handful in the woods for me, more of a point and shoot and hang the F#$% on thing.  The suspension on the Xtrainer scares me, I already have a 300cc trials bike not sure a bigger heavier trials bike like thing is the answer.  I even briefly thought about a 250rr Beta and screwing the power valve down to the point it never hits, but that prob a stupid decision too.   If I could find a clean KDX200/220 I'd give that a try even though I hate buying used.  So what do you guys think?    

If you have good clutch and throttle skills any bike should be good. I just bought a new beta 300re and it can be as mellow as any bike I've ever rode. For your size and weight I would think any full size euro 2 stroke would be great.

KTM 250/300 XCW.  Now that you have a couple years of trials bike experience, a two stroke wide ratio enduro bike should be no problem for single track.  Hell even the 350 EXC-F or 350 XCF-W that you had before would probably work just fine now that you have sorted your skills.

Take a look at the Beta 250/300 RR models too.

Is your current 300 cc trails bike a two stroke or 4 stroke?

Our trials organization (MOTA) has one club in Indiana (Michiana trials club).   Is that the club you are in? 

I have a 350 XCF-W (dirt version of the EXC-F) and like it.   If you felt like that was too much for you, I'd stay away from the 2-strokes except for maybe the X-trainer which is significantly detuned any probably makes 2/3rds the power of your 350.  The 250/300 enduro bikes will be way snappier than the 350 you had.

Two guys I ride with have X-Trainers and like them.  The nice thing is that once you get more comfortable and need more power, my understanding is you can change the pipe and a couple power valve parts and get close to what the 300 RR puts out.   The low seat height, light weight, short wheel base and detuned 300 engine would probably be a great bike to transition from trials into the woods.   The down sides of the X-Trainer is going to be that short wheel base and the very soft / shorter travel of the suspension.  That won't really limit you until you get pretty fast so I wouldn't even worry about that if you like the bike.  

The WR250F are good bikes.  They are pretty mild stock (27 HP) but can be uncorked to get a little more.   They are bulletproof.  

I'd stay away from the older CRF250X's.   They are 5 speeds, don't make much power and there were a number of years where Honda couldn't keep the valves in the heads.   The new ones might be much better, but I don't follow Honda very closely as they simply don't make much I am interested in.

Doc

Tks everyone...

SilvFx,  Yes my trials bike is a 2 stroke, had a lot to do with why I now like 2 strokes over the 350 4 stroke I had.  I know that's apples and oranges comparing the two, but that 350 was a pain to keep from stalling even compared to the Yz250 I rode, I think it prob needed the Vortex ECU to run properly.  I was also thinking the less weight the better.

Doc_d,  I ride with the Southern Indiana Trials Team, south if Indy.  I wasn't so much the power of the 350 although it was a lot for me, just never could keep it running when things slowed down.  I hear the XCF-W you have doesn't have this problem as it was never meant to be street legal.  XCF-W 250?

30 minutes ago, Cabo said:

Tks everyone...

SilvFx,  Yes my trials bike is a 2 stroke, had a lot to do with why I now like 2 strokes over the 350 4 stroke I had.  I know that's apples and oranges comparing the two, but that 350 was a pain to keep from stalling even compared to the Yz250 I rode, I think it prob needed the Vortex ECU to run properly.  I was also thinking the less weight the better.

Doc_d,  I ride with the Southern Indiana Trials Team, south if Indy.  I wasn't so much the power of the 350 although it was a lot for me, just never could keep it running when things slowed down.  I hear the XCF-W you have doesn't have this problem as it was never meant to be street legal.  XCF-W 250?

If the power wasn't the problem, and you know you like the two strokes, then you should probably consider the 250/300 enduro bikes.  The KTM 250/300 XC-W, Husky 250/300 TE and Beta 300RR.  

I have a Vortex ECU in my XCF-W and the XCF-W came with lower final gearing than the EXC-F.  It also doesn't have the smog stuff.   It's pretty good down low but it won't lug down low like a 2 stroke enduro bike.  They no longer make the XCF-W's so the only options is to buy an EXC-F, desmog it, remove all the street legal stuff, put a Vortex in it, change the tires, etc and then you'd have the equivalent of the XCF-W.  But that's a pretty pricey option especially if you feel you like 2 strokes better.

Doc

• Like 1

Yz250fx or wr250f bulletproof cant go wrong

• Like 1

If you consider it just a hobby(?), get something like a crf230f ,or the new air cooled crf250f, and enjoy yourself with it. I have a 68 y.o. friend that rides single track with a crf230f and loves it. If you want to improve your skills in order to enjoy riding something more performance oriented, it will take time and commitment.  If you're up to that, and can buy new, have a look at the new KTM 150xc-w. Super light weight, reliable, and easy to ride.  Anyone that says otherwise has never ridden one.

As other guys have said here. Modern 300 2 strokes (and 250's) are very easy to calm down with adjustable power valves. They won't bite you unless you really want them too.

As far as the 350 KTM's go or most newer FI 4 strokes, they can be kind of abrupt as far as throttle response goes which can be intimidating. A G2 throttle tamer might save you from having to switch bikes if you haven't gotten rid of that. 3 of my friends have 350's( KTM and Beta) and they are fantastic bikes, 

1 hour ago, jgl1962 said:

As other guys have said here. Modern 300 2 strokes (and 250's) are very easy to calm down with adjustable power valves. They won't bite you unless you really want them too.

^ This too. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, jgl1962 said:

As far as the 350 KTM's go or most newer FI 4 strokes, they can be kind of abrupt as far as throttle response goes which can be intimidating. A G2 throttle tamer might save you from having to switch bikes if you haven't gotten rid of that. 3 of my friends have 350's( KTM and Beta) and they are fantastic bikes, 

I can support what's been said about 350s, best motorcycle purchase I've made to date. The power is very manageable, but there is also plenty of it.

I'm about your size, well a bit heavier. Lots of my friends have bought the Beta XTrainer. I have tried it and its just too small for me. The cockpit layout feels cramped. Look at the Beta 300RR and of course the KTM/Husqv 300 XCW and equivalents. I love my 300XCW. I hope to soon love my Beta 200 evo, but I need more time on the pegs.

Sherco and GasGas also have new 300cc two strokes if you want to avoid being one of the millions riding orange 300s

After an afternoon on a YZ250, I have a hard time even thinking about a 300cc 2 stroke.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cabo said:

After an afternoon on a YZ250, I have a hard time even thinking about a 300cc 2 stroke.  

YZ250 is a pretty fast hard hitting MX bike.  I think you will find the 300cc 2t enduro bikes wont be any faster than a YZ250 but will be more torquey and tractable at lower RPM.  I frankly didnt see much difference between my 86 CR250R and my '12 KTM 300 XCW as far as sheer acceleration (based entirely on seat of the pants feel).  Big difference in low end response and lugability.

So not to leave this open ended after getting a lot of good advice from everyone.  

I got lucky!  There's a Beta demo day happening reasonably close to me the first week of march, that should give me a chance to make a educated decision on my next bike.  If I don't like any of those, I'll prob go the WR250F or YZ250FX route.  Tks for all the ideas/help!

4 minutes ago, Cabo said:

So not to leave this open ended after getting a lot of good advice from everyone.  

I got lucky!  There's a Beta demo day happening reasonably close to me the first week of march, that should give me a chance to make a educated decision on my next bike.  If I don't like any of those, I'll prob go the WR250F or YZ250FX route.  Tks for all the ideas/help!

I think Beta demo days are put on by KTM's Sales and Marketing team...

;)

*hides*

It's going to be interesting to see your impressions of the Enduro bikes. After a year of riding trials, I really don't like the big bikes all that much any more. They're heavy, don't turn, can't move around on them, etc. So I'm looking forward to your comments. That new 200 looks like it might be pretty neat though...

I can't speak to the 350f, but I ride a KTM 200xc-w and I think it might be a good choice for you, if you can find one. It's light, reliable, and has plenty of low end. It's also easy to tame the powerband. 

Yea, seems like most everyone with a ktm 200 really likes them, I'm sure their nice.  I suppose Beta will have one of their new 200's at the demo but who knows?  They said something like 20 bikes, I'm really only looking to ride 4 or 5 not counting their trials bikes which I really like and have rode a few of, not sure I would trade my Scorpa for one but who knows?  Hoping I can get them to tune down the power valves on the 2 strokes before I ride them but that may be asking a lot.  No matter what I should have more information at the end of day, or be more confused.  

Nobade - Yea that's the truth, everything feels like a heavy beast when you do that comparison.  I thought I was getting a trials bike to help me learn to better ride a dirt bike.  Turns out I was getting a trials bike to ride a trials bike.

• Like 1