KTM circling the drain - 2019 edition

Means nothing. The purpose of a manufacturer is selling bikes. The masses... local, amatuer MX, enduro, and hare scrambles starting lines are heavily dominated by orange and white. KTM/Husky is excellent at marketing and selling bikes. The Japs are at least trying to catch up now... well, at least Yam, Honda and Kaw are.

A pig Yamaha 450 wins?

A guy with 2 bad arms takes 2nd?

Tomac comes from 16th to 3rd?

The defending SX champ on HSQ drops from 3rd to 14th?

Muskrat - factory KTM's top rider gets 8th?

Is there something wrong with the 2019 orange and white bikes?

1 hour ago, Zinergy said:

Nothing sneaky about it. Mogs religion is ktm... That means ktm is God... That means ktm created life and everything life created stems from ktm.... Including brembo master cylinders.

My bad!

That is some funny ?!

You are right, my bad!

53 minutes ago, The Deplorable said:

Means nothing. The purpose of a manufacturer is selling bikes. The masses... local, amatuer MX, enduro, and hare scrambles starting lines are heavily dominated by orange and white. KTM/Husky is excellent at marketing and selling bikes. The Japs are at least trying to catch up now... well, at least Yam, Honda and Kaw are.

we've been through the arguments haven't we?  people want the best bike,  not the cheapest bike,  not the most reliable bike,  not the,  fastest bike,  THE BEST BIKE.  and they're willing to a premium for it.   how many so called haters on here ride orange/ white,  at least half of them.   that's saying something

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

we've been through the arguments haven't we?  people want the best bike,  not the cheapest bike,  not the most reliable bike,  not the,  fastest bike,  THE BEST BIKE.  and they're willing to a premium for it.   how many so called haters on here ride orange/ white,  at least half of them.   that's saying something

I’m jumping ship, I’ve been on orange but pretty sure my next bike will be blue.......TE250 ?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Deplorable said:

Maybe enduro and hare scrambles and those are small numbers of bikes and Euros do especially well there. MX I think it depends where you live by the numbers KTM is still doing the catch up and has a long way to go.

KTM/Husky are virtually unknown by brand recognition outside of a thin sliver of committed folks. And as far as marketing goes the Japanese companies are so far ahead of KTM that it is really not even the same game.

A lot of Grandmas out there even recognize Honda or Yamaha that is years of marketing and brand recognition. Ask a Grandma if she knows what KTM is.... I bet an Austrian grandma could identify Honda before KTM...:smirk: 

It is just a matter of if the Japanese think dirtbikes are worth the trouble it has little to do with the so-called competition. Even Zuke is far more recognized than KTM, even in India home of Bajaj which owns 48% of KTM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, portlandcsc said:

The weird uncle that wants to play devils triangle with mom?

Once the old school regulars get warmed up it should be a fun season.

Yeah I have the sneaking suspicion BBA is just lurking

• Like 2

Ricky wasnt impressed with how anderson was speaking of himself. Lacked any aggression or self worth even, very doubtful of himself. Hope he wakes up and owns it one day really soon.
You've got to be a little cocky and arrogant to be an aggressive racer.

1 hour ago, Chaconne said:

Maybe enduro and hare scrambles and those are small numbers of bikes and Euros do especially well there. MX I think it depends where you live by the numbers KTM is still doing the catch up and has a long way to go.

KTM/Husky are virtually unknown by brand recognition outside of a thin sliver of committed folks. And as far as marketing goes the Japanese companies are so far ahead of KTM that it is really not even the same game.

Are you stuck in the last millennium?  this isn't the 90's anymore,  in the 00's KTM was starting to be well known,  in the 10's plus they were well known,  its damn near 2020 now,  they've been dominating dirt bike racing around the planet for a decade in damn near every discipline, especially the main stream disciplines.  

I know I tell you you're out of your mind sometimes but I swear I mean it this time.   Honda because of cars us better recognized,  yamaha probably,  but if you think Kawi and Suzuki are much more recognizable brands you're out of your damn mind.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Um...have you seen how many Suzuki Swifts are out there? ?

yes, 0 in the United states....    ask the current crop of kids around me and they see KTM's all the time,  show up at the local riding spot and there's tons of ktms that guys are hiding for fun,  not racers at all.  good luck finding a suzuki,  even a 110.  

chaconne is way out of touch.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

yes, 0 in the United states....    ask the current crop of kids around me and they see KTM's all the time,  show up at the local riding spot and there's tons of ktms that guys are hiding for fun,  not racers at all.  good luck finding a suzuki,  even a 110.  

chaconne is way out of touch.  

Really should look that shit up first lol.

It is the same here, there's bloody KTM's everywhere. Or at least seems to be. Plenty of Hondas and Yammies, a few less Kawis and not so many Zooks.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Are you stuck in the last millennium?  this isn't the 90's anymore,  in the 00's KTM was starting to be well known,  in the 10's plus they were well known,  its damn near 2020 now,  they've been dominating dirt bike racing around the planet for a decade in damn near every discipline, especially the main stream disciplines.  

I know I tell you you're out of your mind sometimes but I swear I mean it this time.   Honda because of cars us better recognized,  yamaha probably,  but if you think Kawi and Suzuki are much more recognizable brands you're out of your damn mind.  

Known is known that is the point of BRAND RECOGNITION. Honda is known for all kinds of machinery WORLD WIDE including motorcycles and cars etc etc. They have been building their brand recognition in the US since the 1950s. Racing is not marketing and brand recognition, and only a small segment of a small segment knows anything about that. Zuke is larger than you think worldwide.

Shit I dirt ride with guys every week who have no idea who JA is or ET is or even RC. My buddy rides a KTM and wouldn't know Moosecan from Dungey from McGrath. Same thing with my other buddy he rides Honda and could give 2 shits about racing and has never even heard of Ken Roczen. They don't read bike rags either.

You are mixing what YOU LIKE and know with facts. KTM is not that well recognized,  it is a small specialty brand that sells what around 200-250k bikes per year. It is minuscule and hardly known except among hobbyists for the most part. That is just the facts not good or bad, just reality. This sport and the community of dirtbike riders is pretty small. 

Like I said to you many times Cali is really the only place in the country were there is a real dirtbike culture in the US that I have seen. Everywhere else is just a smattering here and there. And not everywhere else is Cali in case you haven't noticed.:ride:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

Known is known that is the point of BRAND RECOGNITION. Honda is known for all kinds of machinery WORLD WIDE including motorcycles and cars etc etc. They have been building their brand recognition in the US since the 1950s. Racing is not marketing and brand recognition, and only a small segment of a small segment knows anything about that. Zuke is larger than you think worldwide.

Shit I dirt ride with guys every week who have no idea who JA is or ET is or even RC. My buddy rides a KTM and wouldn't know Moosecan from Dungey from McGrath. Same thing with my other buddy he rides Honda and could give 2 shits about racing and has never even heard of Ken Roczen. They don't read bike rags either.

You are mixing what YOU LIKE and know with facts. KTM is not that well recognized,  it is a small specialty brand that sells what around 200-250k bikes per year. It is minuscule and hardly known except among hobbyists for the most part. That is just the facts not good or bad, just reality. This sport and the community of dirtbike riders is pretty small. 

Like I said to you many times Cali is really the only place in the country were there is a real dirtbike culture in the US that I have seen. Everywhere else is just a smattering here and there. And not everywhere else is Cali in case you haven't noticed.:ride:

I think you're a few fruit loops short of a full bowl, couple beers  short of a six pack if ya know what I mean... 

Suzuki sells NOTHING in this country, you think the current gen of kids know who suzuki is???... You think KTM isn't well known in Europe...   Think before you answer , it's not 1980 anymore....  And most people your age remember when CZ was as well known as Suzuki, Suzuki is fading like the light in your brain if you think they're well known with the current generation of kids 

Edited by KTMRider4Life
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

I think you're a few fruit loops short of a full bowl, couple beers  short of a six pack if ya know what I mean... 

Suzuki sells NOTHING in this country, you think the current gen of kids know who suzuki is???... You think KTM isn't well known in Europe...   Think before you answer , it's not 1980 anymore....  And most people your age remember when CZ was as well known as Suzuki, Suzuki is fading like the light in your brain if you think they're well known with the current generation of kids 

Zuke sell bikes, atvs, marine and industrial stuff in the US still.

Plus, they sold almost 3 million cars worldwide in 2017 and I am not sure if that includes the Maruti Suzuki sales in India (see the table). Maruti Suzuki is like Bajaj KTM only bigger.

Its true Zuke is not doing well in the US anymore --especially in cars they are gone--  but they are doing well and better in India and China and worldwide. And they still probably sell roadbikes and ATVs in the US in decent volume. One guy I ride with has a RM450 it is a good bike I have ridden it and I like it a lot.

So maybe in your neighborhood kids don't know Zuke but I bet the ones who ride ATVs or road bikes do.  And overall I bet more young kids still know the Zuke name than you think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaconne said:

KTM is not that well recognized,  it is a small specialty brand that sells what around 200-250k bikes per year. It is minuscule and hardly known except among hobbyists for the most part. That is just the facts not good or bad, just reality. This sport and the community of dirtbike riders is pretty small. 

I was at a race a couple weeks ago and out of 121 entrants, 68 were KTM/Husky.  That's a tad over 56% of all of the bikes racing.  This is just one race at one place.  Selling 200-250k units seems a bit low to me.  Hell, I have 3 KTMs in my shop alone.  LOL

• Like 6