redrider144

supercross KTM circling the drain - 2019 edition

When I bought a new Beta,the guys at work who not only don’t ride,but aren’t into dirt bikes at all,wanted to know if it was like a KTM. I’d say the brand is a little more mainstream than some are wanting to admit.

• Like 2

Maybe enduro and hare scrambles and those are small numbers of bikes and Euros do especially well there. MX I think it depends where you live by the numbers KTM is still doing the catch up and has a long way to go.

KTM/Husky are virtually unknown by brand recognition outside of a thin sliver of committed folks. And as far as marketing goes the Japanese companies are so far ahead of KTM that it is really not even the same game.

A lot of Grandmas out there even recognize Honda or Yamaha that is years of marketing and brand recognition. Ask a Grandma if she knows what KTM is.... I bet an Austrian grandma could identify Honda before KTM...default_smirk.gif 

It is just a matter of if the Japanese think dirtbikes are worth the trouble it has little to do with the so-called competition. Even Zuke is far more recognized than KTM, even in India home of Bajaj which owns 48% of KTM.
Never before have you wrote more inaccurate rubbish lol
  • Helpful 1

And your bringing car sales to prop up your discussion , this is a bike forum for off road bikes ,I don't care if grandma from middle Texas doesn't know ktm ,you really are going way off piste

We talk off road , we talk Mx , we don't care that someone in New Mexico knows honda more than ktm

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

I think you're a few fruit loops short of a full bowl, couple beers  short of a six pack if ya know what I mean... 

Suzuki sells NOTHING in this country, you think the current gen of kids know who suzuki is???... You think KTM isn't well known in Europe...   Think before you answer , it's not 1980 anymore....  And most people your age remember when CZ was as well known as Suzuki, Suzuki is fading like the light in your brain if you think they're well known with the current generation of kids 

The last time I rode there was just as many GasGas as Yamaha.

The rest were KTM offerings.

• Like 1

Yamaha, honda and ktm.... its the big 3. We are arguing about who sells more bikes? Let me tell you who does, 4 wheelers. Our sport is dying on the amateur level because millenials can sit on a quad without falling over. Once they figured that out mx wemt bye bye.

• Like 2

Factory Yamaha , 2 years maybe 3 ? 8 years lol the same Orange humpers dribbling shit again .

• Like 1

Another one being taken to the dealership for repairs.

I’m not into track riding, but it’s amazing how the landscape has changed out in the desert since I had my ‘07 WR450. It used to be a sea of blue and red. Now it’s pretty much predominantly orange.

I remember the specific place I became a convert that I said I never would. Riding up in Kennedy Meadows a buddy convinced me to try his orange “POS” in my mind. Well, that was the end of the blue pig.....it had it’s good run......
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, KennyMc said:

I’m not into track riding, but it’s amazing how the landscape has changed out in the desert since I had my ‘07 WR450. It used to be a sea of blue and red. Now it’s pretty much predominantly orange.

I remember the specific place I became a convert that I said I never would. Riding up in Kennedy Meadows a buddy convinced me to try his orange “POS” in my mind. Well, that was the end of the blue pig.....it had it’s good run......

I’m just doing the best I can to keep this website “balanced” against the Mog onslaught!! I’m actually incredibly interested in that BRC KTM5hunny!!!!

• Like 2

The onslaught is riders going over to orange ,the only change I have seen of late is the 19 kxf 450 , people seem to want one

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MANIAC998 said:

I’m just doing the best I can to keep this website “balanced” against the Mog onslaught!! I’m actually incredibly interested in that BRC KTM5hunny!!!!

If I had a dollar for every rider just here in the pro section who said he would never buy a KTM and then did I could buy us both one of them fancy schmancy 5 hundreds! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

If I had a dollar for every rider just here in the pro section who said he would never buy a KTM and then did I could buy us both one of them fancy schmancy 5 hundreds! 

My OCD is alive and doing well:
‘14 350 EXC
‘15 300 XCW
‘16 501 FE
‘17 300 XCW
‘18 500 EXC
The ‘18 500 EXC being the only bike I currently have. Some sold for newer bikes, some sold due to Dr’s orders...then the last bought....screw Dr’s orders 🤪🤪
  • Like 4

u guys r very n ter tain ing

3 hours ago, mog said:

The onslaught is riders going over to orange ,the only change I have seen of late is the 19 kxf 450 , people seem to want one

If I hadn't already bought my '18 Husky last spring, I would have been first in line in my parts to buy a '19 KX450.

• Like 4

On 1/8/2019 at 2:27 AM, mog said:

I think a Yamaha was a disadvantage before ,but in 18 they sorted it so it's much more even now ,maybe an advantage in the right hands

They use a ktm master cylinder on the clutch of barcia bike btw

And people who say weight doesn't matter ,the factory bikes are covered in carbon and titanium,because it just doesn't make any difference lol

I bet the factory yzf and CRF are still heavier than a STD sxf

Pingee said the factory ktm was the most STD looking , those that can add.... know

No, they use a Brembo MC. 

You guys crack me up.  I'm willing to bet that I could put 98% of you on any bike, and your lap times would be nearly identical.  I'd also be willing to bet that I could put you on a 250, and your lap times would not improve over your times on a 450.  It's all about what we like, although some people get caught up in being part of the bandwagon following whatever bike is on top at the time.

It's our money, and we can spend it however we want, but at the non-national pro level most of us would not ride one similar bike faster than another.  Hell, when I had my KX500, my lap times were almost identical to the SWEET 2014 YZ450 I replaced it with.  Those bikes couldn't have been more different, and common sense would have me going faster on the YZ. 

Yes, I was a slow vet rider.  :bonk:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

But I maybe as fast on a 10 sx 150 as a 19 sx 150 ,doesn't make the 10 as good a bike

It's pointless to say " won't make your lap times better" most of us don't care ,we want the bike that " fits and works for us" not one that may or may not give us the same lap time

When I want to alter my fork I take my pump and change the pressure ,I alter the clicker with my finger whilst I ride ,when I change the air filter it takes seconds with zero tools

When I change gear oil I love the side bolt not having to go underneath the bike

I love the PV adjuster so I can tune the power delivery ,as can I with the map switch ( 2 stroke not 4 )

The adjuster on the levers allow them to alter for reach and bite point

One bolt to remove the seat

These things don't make me faster ,but I like them and think they make a difference to how I feel about riding

• Like 2

It's not the marketing it's the bike , that's why the others are copying

• Like 1