Clutch still drags bad. Need help

So I have a 17 TX300 that has some bad clutch dragging. I bought it from a guy that ‘said’ he had recently replaced the clutch and the bike was in good shape and rode fine so no reason to not believe him. Only had 135 hours on it too. For about 4 hours it was fine then randomly the clutch started dragging when fully pulled in. No reason at all. I’ve back bled the system with no change. I changed the gear oil to a lighter oil thinning maybe too thick. No difference. Hot it still drags. Maybe clutch plates or grooved basket? I had the cover off the clutch and don’t seem to be any grooves though. Also sometimes the clutch drags less and sometimes more. Sometimes I’ll pull it in and it’s fine then as I leave it in it slowly starts to drag. Any help on this is much appreciated. Thanks :( 

The baskets are usually pretty durable, if you don't feel grooving then that's not the problem.  I would question what brand clutch plates he used.  I've heard bad things about Tusk and would only use OEM myself.  @ 100hrs my 17 TX300 plates are well within spec still, but my inner clutch hub rubber cushions had a lot of play in them.  measure the plates and check for discoloration/warping in the steels.  If he burned up a clutch pack that quickly he might have warped some steel plates and only replaced the frictions?

• Like 2

Called a local shop. Said it may have been installed wrong. So will pull it apart and take a look at the spring which apparently had 3 setting and the plates to see if they are put in the wrong way. Anything specific to look for on the plates to see if they are worn or warped?

If there are no grooves in the basket and you find that everything has been installed correctly, check the slave cylinder.  It could be a worn o'ring on the piston or the bleeder could have a slight leek allowing air into the system. Both have happened to me.

Mine has done this from day one and I have not found any problems yet. Its not terrible until you try to put it in neutral while stopped. Also bought the bike new and only have 16hrs on it as I just spent 5 months recovering from a concussion. Tried two different oils also. Like I said it is not intolerable until you try to put it in neutral while the bike is running.

If I pull my clutch in while running it moves forward quite a bit. It’s rideable but def annoying and when the bike is cold I can’t put it in gear without it stalling 

Adjust the clutch lever as far away from the bars as possible, then try again. If it helps you need to bleed the system again...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Clutch has 3 settings, soft normal and hard, try adjusting it to the the hard settings

49864309_1078675489003734_3755712045790527488_n.png

Edited by doctorchopper
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Onzalimey said:

If I pull my clutch in while running it moves forward quite a bit. It’s rideable but def annoying and when the bike is cold I can’t put it in gear without it stalling 

Mines not that bad but has a problem for sure.

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Adjust the clutch lever as far away from the bars as possible, then try again. If it helps you need to bleed the system again...

Already did that in the first hr of running haha thanks though.

1 hour ago, doctorchopper said:

Clutch has 3 settings, soft normal and hard, try adjusting it to the the hard settings

Will try this before my next ride. Thanks

2 hours ago, doctorchopper said:

After watching the video those settings are used to adjust for clutch pack thickness and should be used to make sure the bevel spring is flat when installed. Not for different riding conditions but will check and see if mine was set up right from the factory. Thanks again! 

Called a local shop and they said to check those settings too. That pic will be good to follow I appreciate it! Going to try that soon. 

• Like 1

turns our after pulling the clutch apart and trying the other settings in the end it was my lever adjustment....massive fail but whatever. Learned lots about a clutch