Jump to content
Mongo134

motocross Glen Helen MX OFF the 2019 National Schedule?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, yzernie said:

I don't know anything about GH being removed from the schedule but I've had first hand dealings with Bud Feldkamp when I promoted some races there.  The GH staff is pretty nice but he is not that easy to work with.  He wants the money from the events there but he doesn't want to budge a bit with track prep, portable shitters or anything else.  I had to grease the track prep people $400 under the table to make the track rideable because ole BF told the crew to just drag it and 5 minutes into practice the track was already hammered. 

All that said, one of the biggest complaints with the place is one way in and one way out.  Sitting in line for two hours to go two miles to the freeway and other escape routes just sucks.  There really isn't much of an option because the Sheriff's training facility is on the south and west sides of the place, a county park to the north and a nasty riverbed to the east.  They used to let people go north through the canyon to the county park but because people were throwing trash all over, stopping to take a leak in front of Mrs Jones and her kids, driving like drunken &%$#@!, that got put to a stop.  But even without all of that, Feldkamp is a money hungry schmuck. 

My club was supposed to race there on the 6th and 5 days beforehand GH cancelled the event because they had a bigger and more lucrative event that wanted to be there the same day.  I like the place but Feldkamp knows he has a very long lease on the property and treats people like second class folks. 

I believe Pala (or Fox) was also one way in, one way out last time I went there, but that was a while ago.  I've been to a number of different events at Glen Helen (National, REM races, Two-stroke national, Last Dog Standing) and to be honest I've never had a problem leaving that place.  During a national as of last May they still funnel people walking out north through the canyon because they have to, using the amphitheater parking to the north is the only way they can get that many people in.  Even there, following the heard to their cars it has still been extremely quick getting to the freeway.  I can see though that if you pay the added premium to park on the south side where the pits are that you'd have a long wait getting out.

It's really a shame it won't be there.  That track is so unique and those hills really add a different element to the racing. 

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, yzernie said:

My club was supposed to race there on the 6th and 5 days beforehand GH cancelled the event because they had a bigger and more lucrative event that wanted to be there the same day.  I like the place but Feldkamp knows he has a very long lease on the property and treats people like second class folks. 

Race tracks are event spaces. Most event spaces provide a venue and its on the production company to do everything else, the venues might have preferred vendors for things like shitters, catering e/t/c to smooth the process out but the cost is on the production company/client. 

This is a 2 sided story, I'd like to hear more about the track owners experiences during Nationals. What's their cut? Do they even make any money or are they supposed to eat the cost because its a National and the TV coverage is supposed to be enough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Arctic Pride said:

Race tracks are event spaces. Most event spaces provide a venue and its on the production company to do everything else, the venues might have preferred vendors for things like shitters, catering e/t/c to smooth the process out but the cost is on the production company/client. 

This is a 2 sided story, I'd like to hear more about the track owners experiences during Nationals. What's their cut? Do they even make any money or are they supposed to eat the cost because its a National and the TV coverage is supposed to be enough?

The owners do get a cut. The problem is how much they want, compared to the amount of work needed to make the event happen. An argument can be made that a solid Am event would net them much more money than hosting a National. So when you factor in the amount of work needed and compromises being made, that is where it can be an issue for both parties.

Another thing to factor in when choosing location, aside from track itself, is getting traffic in and out, along with surrounding areas for pit people etc. Awhile back the issues with Pala was getting people in and out for the race. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:09 AM, MANIAC998 said:

God Damn f’n AMA!!!

A

M

A

About Money ALWAYS!!!

So I can kind of see the factions.  AMA vs Red Bull.   Red Bull could hostile take over it's own SX although they seem well occupied with the Enduro world.    I know our local track is dropping their points races because AM(ofia)A is hijacking them so badly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Whopharded said:

So I can kind of see the factions.  AMA vs Red Bull.   Red Bull could hostile take over it's own SX although they seem well occupied with the Enduro world.    I know our local track is dropping their points races because AM(ofia)A is hijacking them so badly.

Quite a few of our local tracks drop kicked the AMA to the curb too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 9:09 AM, MANIAC998 said:

God Damn f’n AMA!!!

A

M

A

About Money ALWAYS!!!

This has  nothing to do with the AMA!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 1:12 PM, Rembrand said:

Maybe it all goes back to when MX Sports was formed. The promoters were trying to work together and Davey Coombs pulled a underhanded backroom deal behind their backs.

Man I'd love to hear this story.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, I never hear about any other venue bitching. Why is that? Hangtown is the longest running course on the circuit..... Never bitched once. RedBud is easily the biggest name on the circuit. Never bitched. The closure of Southwick had nothing to do with MX Sports but they got it figured out and came back and wanting the Nationals.....never bitched. High Pointe..... Never bitched. Washougal..... Never bitched. ONLY Glen Helen ever bitches and yes, its a great track BUT its not the best track. Remember, MX Sports can polish a turf and make it look appetizing. I got news for you, GH isn't the end all be all, not even close.

And before anybody tries to say it, yes, Hangtown is on State run property BUT the track itself is privately owned. Only the OHV land around it is controlled by the State. 

Edited by Mongo134
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know anything about muddy creek? I love watching the national there, great spectator track, fun to ride, sorry to see it go.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mongo134 said:

Again, I never hear about any other venue bitching. Why is that? Hangtown is the longest running course on the circuit..... Never bitched once. RedBud is easily the biggest name on the circuit. Never bitched. The closure of Southwick had nothing to do with MX Sports but they got it figured out and came back and wanting the Nationals.....never bitched. High Pointe..... Never bitched. Washougal..... Never bitched. ONLY Glen Helen ever bitches and yes, its a great track BUT its not the best track. Remember, MX Sports can polish a turf and make it look appetizing. I got news for you, GH isn't the end all be all, not even close.

And before anybody tries to say it, yes, Hangtown is on State run property BUT the track itself is privately owned. Only the OHV land around it is controlled by the State. 

Hangtown use to be at Hangtown, aka Plymouth.  The traffic jam getting out was pretty bad.

You would have to ask the Dirt Diggers MC club about the politics. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pomoco said:

Anyone know anything about muddy creek? I love watching the national there, great spectator track, fun to ride, sorry to see it go.

My last post basically applies to Muddy Creek, from what I understand. Promoters decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RMZ819 said:

This has  nothing to do with the AMA!

Exactly. AMA/AMa pro Racing has always been  blamed for a lot of stuff, and rightfully so in some regards, but when it’s come to GH they’ve always given them a lot of leeway... 

5 hours ago, Mongo134 said:

Again, I never hear about any other venue bitching. Why is that? Hangtown is the longest running course on the circuit..... Never bitched once. RedBud is easily the biggest name on the circuit. Never bitched. The closure of Southwick had nothing to do with MX Sports but they got it figured out and came back and wanting the Nationals.....never bitched. High Pointe..... Never bitched. Washougal..... Never bitched. ONLY Glen Helen ever bitches and yes, its a great track BUT its not the best track. Remember, MX Sports can polish a turf and make it look appetizing. I got news for you, GH isn't the end all be all, not even close.

And before anybody tries to say it, yes, Hangtown is on State run property BUT the track itself is privately owned. Only the OHV land around it is controlled by the State. 

It stems from Glen Helen owners & Joanne the manager doing it...the Glen Helen way...and that covers everything from parking, the pits, vendor sales, concessions, to track layout and stuff like wanting to set their own schedule for the pro-national...it’s always them just trying to do it JUST a bit different. 

We noticed it was off the schedule about 5 weeks ago when we were looking at travel dates for the team, funny no one noticed until more recently. Word we’ve heard is Pala...someone else said St. George UT. was looked at but not for ‘19...

Well here’s another one going unnoticed...the World Vet Championship...been at GH since Goat Brecker quit promoting it down at Perris in the mid-90’s... not for 2019...it’s scheduled for “Las Vegas”

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 3:59 PM, jay bird1138 said:

From what I’ve heard on the pulp show it’s been glen helen that’s been the problem and they want to run everything themselves like for example I think he said they were emphasizing their sponsors more than they should have over the pro moto sponsors.

who does pulpmx work for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GoRide2 said:

who does pulpmx work for?

True but doesnt change the fact...but to be fair i dont know the other side or details.

Edited by ah665

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fox Raceway (AKA Pala) has been announced to replace Glen Helen for round #2 of the Nationals. Maybe I will go there rather than Colorado..... Then again, Colorado looks more entertaining.

Edited by Mongo134

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why would Mxsports insist on a shorter track to get sub 2 minute laps ?  The track has a very good layout with lots of elevation changes....seems stupid to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what happens when corporate America slowly overtakes an organization like the AMA. You think the AMA is out to protect us and keep our sport relevant? F&%# no they're not and they are doing the same thing to our sport as the greedy a-holes have done to NASCAR. It is most definitely all about padding their own already wealthy pockets.

  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×