exc-f 500 extra parts in engine ! Help!

Have new 2018 excf with 5 hours. Decided to change oil/filter yesterday as part of break-in procedure.  Pulled magnetic plug and found this part sticking to it.  I about sh*t !

Called KTM north america yesterday and got voice mail---awaiting a call back.  

Anyone have an idea what it is?  Its 5mm tall, 8mm OD, 6mm ID.  Also, any suggestions on what to expext from ktm?  

2019-01-07 20.12.18.jpg

20190107_160206.jpg

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

While your friend is showing this to the dealer he bought it from he is pointing his finger. The dealer asks what are you pointing at? Your friend says Just curious when my new bike will be ready to load.

Just my $.05

just imagine if they did the first service. You? How did the first service go? Dealer says Oh fine nothing out of the ordinary your good to go. Fawk all that. Don't care what that bushing - sleeve is from it was left in ther during assembly or came from somewhere. Either way I'd be loading up a Zero hour bike.

Edited by cmbthumper
  • Like 3

No....bike hasnt been dealer serviced.  It only has  hours on it.   

24 minutes ago, wacoupf said:

No....bike hasnt been dealer serviced.  It only has  hours on it.   

I think you misunderstood the post. Call the dealer you bought the bike from, it's under warranty, demand they give you a new bike. 

Hum spare parts! That sucks to see that but snuff happens. They will likely identify the part to see if it could be something now missing from your engine. If not since it is not all chewed up everything might be fine and no reason to pull it apart. 

If that is the case document and print out your emails and pictures of everything in case anything happens down the road that could be their fault. 

Usually you would not get a new bike. But a extended unwritten warrantee. 

I would at least make them identify the part, then look inside the motor to see if it has fallen loose due to other damage, or truly is "extra" and just fell in as the engine was being assembled.  It almost looks like the collars that go into the cases that help you align them properly, but it looks too short for that.  

Posted (edited)

That is one of the roller guides for the shift fork, where it rides in the shift drum.  Part number 15 on the fiche, each shift fork (there are 3) has one on the end.

Will be a warranty replacement.  When they fix it, make sure they also replace the fork it was attached to as it may now be bent.

shift roller.jpg

Edited by eastreich
  • Like 5
  • Helpful 2

The balance shaft bushing (#3) looks like a maybe, depending on size.  Unknown thing found in engine is 5mm tall, 8mm od,  6mm id.  Anyone know the dimensions of this (#3) bushing ?

Screenshot_2019-01-08-16-25-41.png

Posted (edited)

I think it's pressed /mounted in the case.

Edited by Burnrider

Two days and still  no return call from KTM customer service.  

I checked, and the Ohio Lemon Law applies to motorcycles.   Hope they call soon.

6 minutes ago, wacoupf said:

Two days and still  no return call from KTM customer service.  

I checked, and the Ohio Lemon Law applies to motorcycles.   Hope they call soon.

Your first call should be the selling dealer and it should all be done through them. You would call the manufacturer when the dealer cannot or does not handle the matter for you. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Unfortunately the selling dealer is in ohio and im in south carolina, not planning to return to ohio till march.

Does the dealer have the unilateral authority to authorize a warranty repair?

Can i take it to ktm dealer in south carolina?

Didnt get any warranty document  when i bought and asked selling dealer for a copy.  He saysvthere is are no printed warranty terms---all electronic, on line.  Is this true?

The warranty is six months, on an exc, entered in the system the day you buy it. Any ktm dealer can provide warranty, but it sucks that you have to use it, and obviously will be down while they get approval, for tear down.

Don't recall any official Document of warranty, like a certificate

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Horgh said:

I think you misunderstood the post. Call the dealer you bought the bike from, it's under warranty, demand they give you a new bike. 

Demand they give you a new bike? LOL! Yeah it doesn't work like that.

2 hours ago, PTECH said:

Demand they give you a new bike? LOL! Yeah it doesn't work like that.

It actually can. A friend of mine bought an EXC a number of years ago, bike started having serious electrical issues. She took it back, dealer tried to fix it, but it was a shit show. So  they gave her a new bike.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, wacoupf said:

The balance shaft bushing (#3) looks like a maybe, depending on size.  Unknown thing found in engine is 5mm tall, 8mm od,  6mm id.  Anyone know the dimensions of this (#3) bushing ?

If it was the balance shaft bushing, the engine would have already come apart as the balancer is one one end of that shaft with the waterpump wheel on the other.  If that bushing comes out which is in the middle of the shaft, way worse things are coming undone before you find it in the sump.

It is definitely one of the bushings for the shift drum/forks, this from someone who has been into these transmissions a lot recently (and had them fall out a few times getting the shift drum set back in place).

@wacoupf you have to take it to a dealer!!!  KTM corporate won't give you any help for warranty work of any kind personally, it HAS to go through a dealer.  Any dealer can do the warranty work.  Will they be quick about it because you did not buy the bike from them? Odds are not good on that front.  IF the dealer is good, they will still do their best to get it done for you as fast as they can as they would like to get you as a full time customer.  Just remember that there is a process here, and it will never be as fast as you would like it to be.  The dealer DOES NOT authorize the warranty work.  They submit the claim to KTM corporate, who then will authorize (or not) the warranty work.  Once the dealer has the authorization in hand, then AND ONLY THEN will they do the repairs necessary which in this case takes some labor costs as the cases need to be split to inspect the shift drum and forks.

As a note to anyone reading this thread:

Not to beat a dead horse here, but when someone chases a deal and doesn't buy local getting warranty work done can be an issue.  If someone isn't the kind of person that will do all the work themselves, it is usually going to save someone time and money down the road to spend the extra few hundred dollars to buy local instead of from the dealer a state or two away that is just blowing stuff out.  If you had a good relationship with a local dealer, and had bought the bike there, then there would be decent odds that they may begin repair work BEFORE getting the warranty authorization from KTM as you are a good customer.  I know when some are paying well over $10k for a dirt bike, saving a few hundred dollars seems like a big deal.  And I get it.  I shopped around for my Husky and went with the best price (which frankly, happened to be semi-local).  However, I have the tools and backdoor contacts to have access to anything I need to fix my bikes myself, which is not the case for many others in this EFI/ECU controlled world.  If I knew that I would have to rely on a dealer for potential work, I would have spent another $500 to buy a Husky or another $300 for a KTM from different dealers than the one I ultimately went with.

Edited by eastreich
  • Like 4

PAying 10k for that bike. I would be at the nearest dealers doorstep. Not because I want to be rude but because you have no idea how much that piece ran around in your bottom end hitting who knows what. Could be potential problems later when you have no warranty. And good luck trying to prove it was due to that.

I bought a brand new Toyota Tacoma in 2013. It had a small but noticeable valve tick that drove me crazy. I took it back and they called and said they replaced the valves. I came backtick was still there and service manager says "they all sound like that when new until they get broke in" LOLOLOL. OK...... Had to be a dick but my after a few emails to a regional manager, I got a new one. And guess what? No tick.   

• Like 2