CRF450L/RL Mods: What did you do to your 450L/RL today?

NoFiddyPilot

11 hours ago, MVI said:

CRF ONLY cover good, but as with any HEAVY CLAY, it will pack in the CS sprocket, unless you have no cover at all.

The CRF ONLY cover is easy to see thru, and easy to wash thru.

1207389272_ScreenHunter_2042Aug_0307_37.jpg.5393217dc7e47a450702c68889884348.jpg

You drilled and tied your oil filler plug ? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MVI said:

Congrats on the new 2021.  How is the throttle and power delivery in stock trim?  Why are you adding the tuner?  Just more power an fuel at altitude or do you feel the stock ECU is lacking ? 

Thank you. I’m getting the tuner to fix the infamous jerky throttle. Still probably a little too lean from factory. Once you get past the initial throttle turn, the power delivery is responsive and more than enough for me for now. I’m sure I’ll start adding power once I get more used to the bike and get more in shape. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IncognitoBurrrito said:

Thank you. I’m getting the tuner to fix the infamous jerky throttle. Still probably a little too lean from factory. Once you get past the initial throttle turn, the power delivery is responsive and more than enough for me for now. I’m sure I’ll start adding power once I get more used to the bike and get more in shape. 

What about engine breaking with fuel and ignition cutoff? Does it stall a lot?

14 hours ago, IncognitoBurrrito said:

large.807BEB5C-B03C-44D2-AE5D-1D0648DFE3A4.jpeg.596e5c1f3e76a111f5419e8f6696de28.jpeg 

just bought today... already ordered a JDJetting tuner lol. 

...wait until you get 1000 miles on it. It'll be a different bike. On the examples I've seen, as well as my own, the minor stalling goes away, as well as the jerky on/off throttle. Even the seat feels better. 

• Helpful 2

5 hours ago, Atieri said:

What about engine breaking with fuel and ignition cutoff? Does it stall a lot?

Engine breaking feels fine to me, but this is my first fuel injected bike so I’m not 100% sure what to look out for. The fuel cutoff is just as abrupt as accelerating. I did hear a small pop/backfire in town. It did stall a lot when it came from the dealer with 0 miles but after the first real ride I haven’t had stalling issues. 

11 minutes ago, gt750 said:

...wait until you get 1000 miles on it. It'll be a different bike. On the examples I've seen, as well as my own, the minor stalling goes away, as well as the jerky on/off throttle. Even the seat feels better. 

Aww man I even already ordered a seat concepts seat too lol. I’m betting it gets better with more miles as well, but don’t these bikes still run lean? The tuner is still peace of mind for me for now, and I do plan on pipes/headers for more power in the future. 

5 minutes ago, IncognitoBurrrito said:

Engine breaking feels fine to me, but this is my first fuel injected bike so I’m not 100% sure what to look out for. The fuel cutoff is just as abrupt as accelerating. I did hear a small pop/backfire in town. It did stall a lot when it came from the dealer with 0 miles but after the first real ride I haven’t had stalling issues. 

Aww man I even already ordered a seat concepts seat too lol. I’m betting it gets better with more miles as well, but don’t these bikes still run lean? The tuner is still peace of mind for me for now, and I do plan on pipes/headers for more power in the future. 

Seat concepts is a great choice. I don't care about mileage, and comments about "stock seats soften up"...  a 2x4 only gets so soft.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IncognitoBurrrito said:

Honda enginering is "peace of mind" for me. I have 3300 km's(2000 miles) on mine, at first I thought I'd need a new muffler/silencer due to the heat being put out, but now it is just fine. Fuel mileage is also great. Yes, it is probably leaner than a carb'ed bike, but it is running very well. Stock is just fine for me. 

• Like 1

I'm only at 1300+ miles but same here, stock is just fine. It's the bike just starting to break-in after 1000+ miles and getting used to the immediate accel & decel. I'm coming from a XRL "carbie" too so the choppy power was pretty astounding to me in the beginning. For me if and when I go in that direction it'll be for the refinement rather than "I gotta have that". But appreciate the "trailblazers" who put together some nice after=market combinations for all of us.

On the seat there is no doubt the SC is a huge improvement (or anything other than stock). But I have to say that comfort has encouraged me to sit a few times when I should be or should have been standing. That has cause me to drop the bike a couple times where normally I'd stand. For this reason I might actually put the stock seat back on for the kind of deep woods & single-track mostly 2nd & 3rd gear riding I do here in the Northeast, which I assume it was actually designed for. Anything 40-60mph and higher for sustained periods or on pavement for more than a couple hours is brutal as most folks know.

Edited by Mike Wex
  • Like 1

Well, getting ready to tuck the bike in for another long winter...We've had a couple days of snow this week, temps have been dipping down to -2 to -5c at night, weather forecast is colder next week, with temps barely getting above freezing during the day. Took the bike for one last ride yesterday, washed it up, got the fuel stabilized and topped off, oil changed. Going to do the last few bits this weekend before pulling the battery and bringing it inside for the winter (I did this last year and it seemed to work well, still had lots of charge in the spring).

Just wondering, do any of you pull the spark plug and fog the cylinder before winter storage? If so, what do you use? Shot of WD-40, or a bit of engine oil?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maniik said:

Great question, also does it help if you put it at TDC so that the valve springs are uncompressed for said  amount of time?

Mmmmm.Maybe marvel mystery oil added to fuel with the stabilizer and taken for a 20 minute ride to get it through the system, doubt you need it, never seen a cylinder rust without it. Good thinking on the valve springs, I'm too lazy to do TDC for that, can see how it would help people with OCD, but probably unnecessary.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Boonus said:

Well, getting ready to tuck the bike in for another long winter...We've had a couple days of snow this week, temps have been dipping down to -2 to -5c at night, weather forecast is colder next week, with temps barely getting above freezing during the day. Took the bike for one last ride yesterday, washed it up, got the fuel stabilized and topped off, oil changed. Going to do the last few bits this weekend before pulling the battery and bringing it inside for the winter (I did this last year and it seemed to work well, still had lots of charge in the spring).

Just wondering, do any of you pull the spark plug and fog the cylinder before winter storage? If so, what do you use? Shot of WD-40, or a bit of engine oil?

Not cast iron liners anymore, not necessary. Park it, fuel stabilizer, lube chain so it don’t rust, keep battery on charge. Clean her and check all fasteners are tight,air up the tires, spokes, so she ready for spring.

Edited by Shaymer

Just now, Shaymer said:

Not cast iron liners anymore, not necessary. Park it, fuel stabilizer, lube chain so it don’t rust, keep battery on charge. Clean her and check all fasteners are tight, spokes, so she ready for spring.

Ok, thanks. Guess that makes sense about the cylinder/piston.

Ya all that's done, except for the battery. I don't have a charger for it so I just bring it in the house for the winter.

16 minutes ago, Boonus said:

Ok, thanks. Guess that makes sense about the cylinder/piston.

Ya all that's done, except for the battery. I don't have a charger for it so I just bring it in the house for the winter.

You need a special charger for these batteries, and these lithium batteries don’t like not staying charged, get one.

C551BEEE-2468-4C6C-B562-2669138D572A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Shaymer said:

You need a special charger for these batteries, and these lithium batteries don’t like not staying charged, get one.

C551BEEE-2468-4C6C-B562-2669138D572A.jpeg

Nah it will be fine. Lithium batteries only discharge like %1 per month. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1