Pay It Forward! Read more... ×

I need some help identifying this little part I found on my oil plug magnet. 2003 Suzuki DRZ-400e

To me it looks like part of a roll pn.  Functions like a dowel, but sprung to hold it in place.  Will dig out a picture later.

As for where it comes from.....

Paul

• Like 1

Did you adjust you valves recently? Maybe part of the auto decompressor or the guide pin for the cam tower?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Iffykid said:

It was on his magnetic oil drain plug! so my vote would be steel.

Derrrrrr.....I clearly wasn't on my a-game yesterday morning....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It does look like a pop rivet, there are heavier duty types that are double walled and the mandrel doesn't always stay in them. Is it possible it was in your drain pan before you dropped the oil? Did you drop the plug into the pan like I do more often than not?

Oil pump drive pin ?

Really hoping it’s not this problem. There seems to be oil circulating and the engine is quiet

Good luck.   Looks like a cable end to me.   As someone else noted, maybe you picked it up from the surface you put the drain plug on.
Greg

I would agree, it looks like a cable end but it’s interior diameter is too small to hold any cable I know of. Again I can’t eliminate contamination from my oil changing environment. I never set the oil plug down as I changed the oil and went to clean and inspect the magnet. I’m always in the habit of cleaning that before I put it back in but I’m old so you never know anymore

Did you adjust you valves recently? Maybe part of the auto decompressor or the guide pin for the cam tower?

I’m going in tomorrow morning and inspecting the top end. Look now or walk later.

I’m studying the Clymer repair manual and found this disassembly instructions for removing the camshaft and chain. Says here there’s no passage way from the top end and the bottom crank case where I found the part in the oil. To me this eliminates contamination from the top .
IMG_1145.JPG
Agree?

7 minutes ago, moto-foto said:

I’m studying the Clymer repair manual and found this disassembly instructions for removing the camshaft and chain. Says here there’s no passage way from the top end and the bottom crank case where I found the part in the oil. To me this eliminates contamination from the top .
IMG_1145.JPG
Agree?

They lied, and another reason to use that book to start the next fire you need to get going. 

• Like 3

IMG_1145.thumb.JPG.127e5bf9d08d1901da029b802b920559.JPG
Agree?

Here’s a pic of the oil pump gear pin . It looks too big to me with the scale of fingers and it should be solid not a roll pin because it’s kept in the gear , no need for a roll pin
IMG_1148.JPGIMG_1146.JPG
Agree?

1 minute ago, moto-foto said:

Here’s a pic of the oil pump gear pin . It looks too big to me with the scale of fingers and it should be solid not a roll pin because it’s kept in the gear , no need for a roll pin
IMG_1148.JPGIMG_1146.JPG
Agree?

Its not a roll pin, ...its a drive pin

Its not a roll pin, ...its a drive pin

Yeah that’s the proper term for that and when I found in my oriole was definitely a roll pin It’s hollow inside.

If you have not yet thrown the oil out run it through a screen and see if there is any more pieces to help pinpoint the origin.

If you have not yet thrown the oil out run it through a screen and see if there is any more pieces to help pinpoint the origin.

I did strain the oil and found nothing and didn’t have metal filings on the oil plug magnet besides this roll pin chunk. You would think they would be more debris by the looks of this piece. I’m leaning in the direction that this is a foreign object that somehow got in the case. Nobody else seems to recognize where this part came from internal to the motor. If this was a common failure I was hoping to hear about it through the forum and then I would know how to proceed but now I’m still guessing and I’m in the dark. Thanks for your help.

That’s definitely the park now where do they use those in a DRZ 400 and how could it just break off at the tip without something horribly going wrong Inside the motor and have no other debris no other chunk and it’s definitely crushed. I’ve change the oil. I’ve run the motor several minutes and let it warm up since I found the part in the oil and it’s running ok.

3 hours ago, moto-foto said:

That’s definitely the park now where do they use those in a DRZ 400 and how could it just break off at the tip without something horribly going wrong Inside the motor and have no other debris no other chunk and it’s definitely crushed. I’ve change the oil. I’ve run the motor several minutes and let it warm up since I found the part in the oil and it’s running ok.

They dont, there's no spirol roll pins in the drz engine

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moto-foto said:

Your barking up the wrong tree.|
If that is a roll pin (I don't think it is) it did not come from the DRZ motor.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

Your barking up the wrong tree.|
If that is a roll pin (I don't think it is) it did not come from the DRZ motor.

Or, a prior owner/mechanic actually used a roll pin, which not surprisingly failed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gary in NJ said:

Or, a prior owner/mechanic actually used a roll pin, which not surprisingly failed.

I suppose  its possible.. but if that was done Id think we would be reading a "My motor stopped running and the cams have welded themselves to the head" post not a what is this thing on my magnetic drain plug don't ya think? 

• Like 1