I need some help identifying this little part I found on my oil plug magnet. 2003 Suzuki DRZ-400e

it does look like a shifting or neutral pin, my brand new 1972 DT-2 Yamaha could not shift into fifth gear for some reason...took back to dealer and the factory forgot the shifter pin for it to go into fifth, it looked like that part on the parts screen they missed??????just saying

Edited by tswitzreturns506
  • Like 1

I inspected the top end of the motor today and found nothing out of the ordinary. I am going on a 26 mile test drive along the dirt frontage road into Moab tomorrow. I’ll report back what happens.

UPDATE: I found the problem it was the cam chain tensioner end cap
IMG_1189.JPGIMG_1195.JPG

When I removed it I heard the end piece fall down inside the head. The pin sizes match exactly from the post and the piece I found in the oil. Also the wear marks in a rotation so the cap on their held in with a roll pin.
Anybody got any ideas other than to use a magnet on a stick and try to fish out the parts and broken pieces from the top of the cam chain tunnel
IMG_1145.JPG
It says here if parts fall down here it won’t wind up in the crank case but my little roll pin end piece got through.
What’s the other option do you think I can turn the bike completely upside down and tap with a rubber mallet and hope they fall out?
Help is appreciated.

You'll need to take the right side cover off and drain it all out and fish around with whatever magnets you can get in there and all around . There shouldn't be a whole lot of pieces , mostly the button end and the roll pin ends . Once you have the big end piece it'll be mostly small like what was already found if it didn't already drain out with the oil earlier .

Might try to take the valve cover off and fish in a magnet from the top through the cam chain area

14 hours ago, moto-foto said:

UPDATE: I found the problem it was the cam chain tensioner end cap
IMG_1189.JPGIMG_1195.JPG

When I removed it I heard the end piece fall down inside the head. The pin sizes match exactly from the post and the piece I found in the oil. Also the wear marks in a rotation so the cap on their held in with a roll pin.
Anybody got any ideas other than to use a magnet on a stick and try to fish out the parts and broken pieces from the top of the cam chain tunnel
IMG_1145.JPG
It says here if parts fall down here it won’t wind up in the crank case but my little roll pin end piece got through.
What’s the other option do you think I can turn the bike completely upside down and tap with a rubber mallet and hope they fall out?
Help is appreciated.

Well thats a first, I have never seen or herd of that type of CCT failure, not that you were looking to be a first in this category.

So to get chunks out....I absolutely would fish around in the CCT hole and see what you can find with a magnate, if no joy.
Remove the valve cover and gently the cams that will let you move the chain and rear chain guide forward, look down the chain tunnel and see what you can see/ find with a magnate.  If still no joy, drain coolant (not oil yet) remove the right side case cover ..the good news is the cam chain and guides go to the "outside" of the case haves and are covered by the case cover...so unless those chunks took a bad bounce ..they will be on the "outside" of the cases under the case cover.
Look at the motor pics here https://www.remotemoto.com/articles/drz400-engine-rebuild/ and you'll see what i mean by the parts more or less have to be contained where you can get to them at worst after removing the side cover......