I need some help identifying this little part I found on my oil plug magnet. 2003 Suzuki DRZ-400e

That's a quarter.

Seriously, though, I have no idea. Does the hole go all the way through? Almost looks like a rivet.

Edited by ptgarcia
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

At first glance it looks like a piece of oil line but I'm no expert. Whatever it is, it's scary

3 hours ago, Erik Marquez said:

You mean the re stricter in the case to cylinder oil path?  If so that one is brass and the pick looks like its a steel item

image.png.b74368b69af1a0ac81a1e9a8d1c01a55.png

image.png.c94b4d9748115ee67b2e964c89953a15.png

I was thinking a nozzle that sprays oil to the underside of the piston like mx 4 strokes have for piston cooling and wristpin lubrication but to be honest, I have never been inside a DRZ.

Oil nozzle?

That's the word I was looking for.

But I haven't been inside my DRZ (yet) either.

Posted (edited)

Its off the spring loaded gear selector pawl behind the clutch basket

No15 in the attached

Screenshot_20190109-064549_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by GuyGraham
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Looks different than a shift pole pin, unless it was chewed up after it fell off. Wouldn't there be other symptoms as well?

is the part aluminum or steel and can you pick it up with a magnet? looks like aluminum in the pic.

Edited by Augoose

6 hours ago, GuyGraham said:

Its off the spring loaded gear selector pawl behind the clutch basket

No15 in the attached

Screenshot_20190109-064549_Samsung Internet.jpg

There is no...errr.... Tail on the shifter pawl pin... and it looks like there is in his pic..Yes?

8 hours ago, antonyp said:

That's the word I was looking for.

But I haven't been inside my DRZ (yet) either.

No nothing like that...there is a oil jet, but its not an insert 

16 hours ago, ptgarcia said:

Almost looks like a rivet.

It does kind of doesn't  it... I went and looked at the rivets in my kit...all had a solid pin to expand the rivet... Do they make hollow pin rivets ? 

18 minutes ago, 1hp said:

have you checked your crank balancer?

Never a bad idea, but check it for what? There is no stepped hollow pin there that I can think of... The Index pin is solid and symmetrical cylinder shape.  image.png.7985613c006eb804d8c27813c56871e8.png

To me, it looks like what happens to the back half of the pop rivet after you pop it. Not the little nail inside, but the other side, the blind side

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, 74jimbo said:

To me, it looks like what happens to the back half of the pop rivet after you pop it. Not the little nail inside, but the other side, the blind side

I agree it does...but all the pop rivets I have used and just tried a few minutes ago...have a solid mandrel in the center after installation.. The bell end of the rivet mandrel is pulled into the hollow rivet expanding it, the mandrel breaks off leaving part of it in the center of the rivet... BUT....and i just thought of this while typing. ..If the rivet is too small diameter for the hole its being installed in, the expanding mandrel can pull all the way though leaving......about what the thing in the picture looks like, kind of , mostly, sort of

• Like 1

It does not have to originate from inside the engine but assuming it did I vote for the neutral switch.  Easy to check out. Remove the neutral switch and look for the contact pin.

• Like 3