Need trade in advice. Trading in a bike for the next year.

16, just saved up enough to be able comfortably buy a 2019 YZ250X. I will put quite a bit on cash down and finance the rest, it won’t be expensive to do so. They got the bike listed on their site for 6,499 which I think is a good deal. Anyways, my question being IF they come out with e start on their 2020 YZ250X would it decrease the value of my bike a whole lot? And how reasonable would it be to trade in my 19 on a 20? Would I loose my butt horrible in the deal? I know it depends on the dealership but just wanting insight. What would taxes be like? I know everyone says dealerships rip off people who trade in, but would it be that bad on a bike that was bought a couple months earlier?

You will take a bigger hit trading a bike in than selling it yourself. As for the value if they do e-start in 2020? If they do the price would definitely increase over the 19s. The non e-start bikes will hold the value just fine sine the price will be lower to begin with making them more affordable to buy. That's the big appeal to the Yz over the European bikes lower cost to purchase. 

I really don't see e-start coming to the Yz in 2020 or anytime soon either.

• Like 3

Some yam guys were on the pulp show and it sounds like e start is coming on that bike soon. Will it decrease value of the 19? I’d say yeah. Why not buy used now, they haven’t changed anything in them bikes since they came out really. Then if you would sell a bike u got used u wouldn’t lose very much money at all

16, just saved up enough to be able comfortably buy a 2019 YZ250X. I will put quite a bit on cash down and finance the rest, it won’t be expensive to do so. They got the bike listed on their site for 6,499 which I think is a good deal. Anyways, my question being IF they come out with e start on their 2020 YZ250X would it decrease the value of my bike a whole lot? And how reasonable would it be to trade in my 19 on a 20? Would I loose my butt horrible in the deal? I know it depends on the dealership but just wanting insight. What would taxes be like? I know everyone says dealerships rip off people who trade in, but would it be that bad on a bike that was bought a couple months earlier?
No worries bro. Yamaha will NEVER bring an estart 2fiddy to market.
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, jay bird1138 said:

Some yam guys were on the pulp show and it sounds like e start is coming on that bike soon. Will it decrease value of the 19? I’d say yeah. Why not buy used now, they haven’t changed anything in them bikes since they came out really. Then if you would sell a bike u got used u wouldn’t lose very much money at all

That’s like saying the 16 ktm smokers lost a ton of value due to the 17 all new model. It doesn’t appear to me that the 16’s value has plummeted.

That’s like saying the 16 ktm smokers lost a ton of value due to the 17 all new model. It doesn’t appear to me that the 16’s value has plummeted.
That's because people are iggerant, counterbalancer is the most beautiful word in the Engrich Rangrage.
  • Like 2

Yes, it would be unreasonable for a 16 year old to finance a brand new 2019 then trade it in the next year (losing thousands and paying sales tax twice) on a 2020, which would also be financed.

If you’re that interested in having e-start just buy a used 250x and wait for estart (better be patient). Or buy a used euro 2t that already has estart. Idk why you’d want a monthly payment at 16, it’s not like a 2019 250x is any different from a 2016 250x, other than those gay trendy colored hipster wheels (I have an 18 I’m allowed to say it).

• Like 2

Any new bike plummets in value the second you take it home. Financing a bike is a bad idea. If you think a better machine will come out next year (I doubt Yamaha will ever make a Estart 2S) then buy a good used bike for cash, save until next year, sell your current bike and pay cash for your new one.

• Like 5

Yeah I don’t think it will plummet but say the 20 has e start then next year I think the 19 will be less desired, thus cheaper than the 18 is this year.

38 minutes ago, jay bird1138 said:

Yeah I don’t think it will plummet but say the 20 has e start then next year I think the 19 will be less desired, thus cheaper than the 18 is this year.

I suppose but sitting around the house waiting for Yamaha to release or not release the 20 with estart is about 9 months lost. He should shop leftover 18 or 17 or just a low used one. Think the X came along in 15.

I would get a confirmed out-the-door price on that advertised $6499 before making any plans either way. DAMHIK.

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice guys, i would rather have a ktm I think but I couldn’t afford one new, but a yami I could. As for why I didn’t want to buy a used bike, I ride with my dad and we both work 5-6 days a week, and plus I have schoolwork so not a lot of time to work on a bike, I wanted something that didn’t have problems right when I got it, that way I would be able to ride with my dad as I don’t know how much longer I would be able to.

5 hours ago, 76xtdrvr said:

I would get a confirmed out-the-door price on that advertised $6499 before making any plans either way. DAMHIK.

yeah no kidding.  I am guessing that is the price without sales tax (normal) and without any fees...which are probably going to be $500 or more.  So my guess is that with sales taxes and fees you are going to be closer to $7500....but I certainly hope I am wrong.

If you can get a '19 YZ250X close to the $6500 out the door, I would jump on it in a heartbeat.  Dont worry about e-start in subsequent years lowering the value....it will still be relative to the original MSRP.  The big issue is if you plan to sell or tradein a bike within a couple years you are going to take a big depreciation hit.  That is an adult big boy, big money game and there are plenty of guys that do that who ride bikes a year or two and then trade them in or sell them.  Not really a game that should be played by 16 year olds.

• Like 1

yeah no kidding.  I am guessing that is the price without sales tax (normal) and without any fees...which are probably going to be $500 or more.  So my guess is that with sales taxes and fees you are going to be closer to $7500....but I certainly hope I am wrong.
If you can get a '19 YZ250X close to the $6500 out the door, I would jump on it in a heartbeat.  Dont worry about e-start in subsequent years lowering the value....it will still be relative to the original MSRP.  The big issue is if you plan to sell or tradein a bike within a couple years you are going to take a big depreciation hit.  That is an adult big boy, big money game and there are plenty of guys that do that who ride bikes a year or two and then trade them in or sell them.  Not really a game that should be played by 16 year olds.
16 year olds buying new bikes probably aren't concerned with depreciation. Rhymes with frust tund.
  • Like 1

Its not that dealerships rip you off on trade ins.  It is a business, your used bike is worth substantially less than what you paid for it less and they have to make money on the deal when they sell your old bike.  Trade in deals are a matter of convenience, you definitely lose your ass trading in a year old bike but if that doesn't bother you go right ahead.

You would be so much better off buying a used bike.

• Like 1

Steve Jobs the Apple founder was once asked, at the launch of whatever model iPhone, let’s say it was the iPhone 4, “But Steve, you guys are probably already working on the iPhone 5.” The journalist was implying why buy this iPhone when there will be a better one next year? Steve’s response: “We are working on the next one, and the one after that, and the one after that one.” His point was that companies like Apple are going to iterate their product nearly every year, so a waiting game is foolish because it would lead to never buying one at all.

Yamaha is no Apple in terms of product development, but the point is similar.

I’ll go contrary to the others. You have only so many years left in your house maybe to be riding with your father. Precious years. As a father of a 15-year old I can tell you I bought him his first dirt bike (new) this past January explicitly to build some memories with him before he goes off to college. I was fairly elastic on the economics. Time is precious.

Go buy that YZ250X (I have one, it’s a great bike) and ride the snot out of it with your dad. If — big IF — Yamaha ever updates it, deal with that when they do. Who knows, maybe e-start will be retrofittable? (Not crazy since Yamaha seems to not want to change much.) I’m with others that it won’t be in 2020. Employees see stuff way before it hits the market. But even if we are wrong, who cares: you’ll be riding and having fun!

Lots of folks on this forum love tinkering with bikes. I can tell you that while I make my 15 year old do some of that, if he had a used bike like I did when I was 15 (used RM that required tons of work) we’d be riding a lot less. Sure, learning to wrench is a lifelong valuable skill. But to my earlier point, you can learn that in good time (and even some modifying that brand new 250X) whereas time to be living at home and riding with your father maybe super short. Years from now you won’t remember a few thousand dollars. You’ll remember those great times. Life is not days, it’s moments.

After you get the 250X, go read Klinger317’s powerjet 40 thread and (unless at high altitude) re-jet it precisely to his formula. Then just maintain it well and have fun!!!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HevyRotashunz said:
2 hours ago, SilvFx said:

Read more  

16 year olds buying new bikes probably aren't concerned with depreciation. Rhymes with frust tund.

On the contrary, that’s what I’m most concerned about. And no ‘trust fund’ here, tbh I don’t know what that is, just that it gives kids money I think. I have worked for everything I own since the age of 12, my truck, quad, current dirt bike, and moped. And I even pay insurance and phone bills :)

Edited by Graham Vandermark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tahoe Gator said:

Steve Jobs the Apple founder was once asked, at the launch of whatever model iPhone, let’s say it was the iPhone 4, “But Steve, you guys are probably already working on the iPhone 5.” The journalist was implying why buy this iPhone when there will be a better one next year? Steve’s response: “We are working on the next one, and the one after that, and the one after that one.” His point was that companies like Apple are going to iterate their product nearly every year, so a waiting game is foolish because it would lead to never buying one at all.

Yamaha is no Apple in terms of product development, but the point is similar.

I’ll go contrary to the others. You have only so many years left in your house maybe to be riding with your father. Precious years. As a father of a 15-year old I can tell you I bought him his first dirt bike (new) this past January explicitly to build some memories with him before he goes off to college. I was fairly elastic on the economics. Time is precious.

Go buy that YZ250X (I have one, it’s a great bike) and ride the snot out of it with your dad. If — big IF — Yamaha ever updates it, deal with that when they do. Who knows, maybe e-start will be retrofittable? (Not crazy since Yamaha seems to not want to change much.) I’m with others that it won’t be in 2020. Employees see stuff way before it hits the market. But even if we are wrong, who cares: you’ll be riding and having fun!

Lots of folks on this forum love tinkering with bikes. I can tell you that while I make my 15 year old do some of that, if he had a used bike like I did when I was 15 (used RM that required tons of work) we’d be riding a lot less. Sure, learning to wrench is a lifelong valuable skill. But to my earlier point, you can learn that in good time (and even some modifying that brand new 250X) whereas time to be living at home and riding with your father maybe super short. Years from now you won’t remember a few thousand dollars. You’ll remember those great times. Life is not days, it’s moments.

After you get the 250X, go read Klinger317’s powerjet 40 thread and (unless at high altitude) re-jet it precisely to his formula. Then just maintain it well and have fun!!!

Thanks for the helpfulness, I know a decent amount about working on bikes, I’ve got an RM125 with split cases in the garage now. I agree completely with riding with your dad making memories while you still can. Just had a close friends dad get hit by a semi on the road while he was driving a small tractor down the other side, trucker dropped his e cigarette and crossed the center line when he picked it up. Really got me thinking about spending time with parents as much as possible. 

• Like 1

You sound like a great kid young man.  I think it's pretty amazing that you are thinking about what you can do to make sure you spend quality time with your father.  My son and I have great memories of riding and racing together.  He is now 22 and has lost interest in riding while I am riding more than ever.  You never know when a good thing will come to an end so go out and get that bike.  If you had a family and finances were tight I would not say the same but you are young and you sound responsible and thoughtful.  Concentrate on getting the best price out the door that you can.  Call 3 dealers and play them off of each other.  You'll learn some negotiating tricks along the way too!  Win Win!

Get the "Out the Door Price" which is what you would pay to the penny including everything.  The #1 rule to negotiating is to say No and walk away.  That's how you get the real rock bottom price but you have to be willing to walk away, sometimes many times during the negotiation.

• Like 3