Erik Marquez

Barker's Performance DRZ400 Exhaust ..Wait... Who? Whaaa?

I got a chance to check out a new exhaust system from Barker's Performance Exhaust https://barkersexhaust.com
A company that honestly I had not heard of previously.... They are fairly established in the after market exhaust world for street bikes Ive found, however the DRZ is new to them.

Im told they put a lot of R&D & time into developing an full exhaust system for the DRZ, not just copy something or bend it up and hope it's loud and riders thinks its working.
So when I heard of it, I was really interested in seeing what the excitement was about. 
Im going to run it on a somewhat modified DRZ..Stroked, 94mm BB, Web Cams, FCR39. Its an SM that sees more dirt than pavement and if I can get my hands on one, a stock DRZ400.

It showed up in the days delivers and I'll tell you, it was packed well. Not even my UPS driver could have hurt this thing in transit. I get packages every day, often from the big three USPS, FedEx, UPS...and its a weekly occurrence to have packages come in looking like they were dropped from the truck and dragged......TWICE.

So companies that put time and effort and perhaps overspend on packaging for only that 10% damage possibility are always looking good to me. 
1799979834_NewBox.jpg.9a8361dc51a282785ff53e378f7656c7.jpg

Digging in things were individual wrapped and then padded as well. Detailed packing list checked off by packer, so I knew right away what was requested was in the box

112603579_whatisit.jpg.c421e821d63776d88ef19090196d9e62.jpg

And small items separated by a divider from the pipe and can. No loose metal items to cause scratches and dents while in transient. 

951368729_leveltwo.jpg.d0ddab0cc8ef0aeb7e1f742ecdf9db34.jpg

The pipe itself it looked.............................................
Well you'll have to wait till later in the week.... I have a motor to build and I don't want to completely unpack until I have the test bike in hand..Less I loose something or damage it...

So Please Stand By.........

• Like 2

Is the mid pipe mount clamp on? Just for fun I hit buy and made it all the way to check out without them asking which DRZ I had. I didn't buy it of course.

Some pretty tall claims on the website. It's a bit misleading comparing a stone stock dyno chart vs their pipe with 3x3 and jetting. The 3x3 and jetting are responsible for a large part of the gain.

Looking forward to the outcome. I'm especially curious as to how it sounds.

Cool, glad to see it landed in competent hands. I saw some mention of this exhaust on theFB group a few months back

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Is the mid pipe mount clamp on? Just for fun I hit buy and made it all the way to check out without them asking which DRZ I had. I didn't buy it of course.

Some pretty tall claims on the website. It's a bit misleading comparing a stone stock dyno chart vs their pipe with 3x3 and jetting. The 3x3 and jetting are responsible for a large part of the gain.

I agree, based off their claims, they aren't producing anything more than a MRD or a Yosh.  I think a 2 HP gain is reasonable with just the 3x3, and then a 600 dollar exhaust on top of that would give 3, I mean.. I hope it would give 3.  It better give 3. 

I'm all about diversity though, its what creates more R&D. 

Edited by JJaySBK

13 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

What exhaust do you currently have on your bike?

My 485 has an MRD/z-pro, the bike I'll be testing on is running my Old School Muzzy long ago discontinued... but made numbers much like the MRD did when tested back to back on same bike, same day.

12 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

At first look, it appears they did away with the mid mount... As there are lots of E pipes on an S subframe folks run perfectly fine without a mid pipe mount Im going to guess the mid mount is not critical on an after market pipe. 

At first look, it appears they did away with the mid mount... As there are lots of E pipes on an S subframe folks run perfectly fine without a mid pipe mount Im going to guess the mid mount is not critical on an after market pipe. 
Not sure I feel the same. I used an E model RS3 for a few years. I used the peg bracket mount to bolt it up. Without pulling the mid pipe over it will likely rub on the spring which is annoying. If it is small enough to clear than there goes any hope it will support mid to top end power, especially on the large engines. Even bolted I have to shim my subframe a bit so the ZPro has clearance.

Do you have any dynos near you ?

Just now, ohiodrz400sm said:

Not sure I feel the same. I used an E model RS3 for a few years. I used the peg bracket mount to bolt it up. Without pulling the mid pipe over it will likely rub on the spring which is annoying. If it is small enough to clear than there goes any hope it will support mid to top end power, especially on the large engines. Even bolted I have to shim my subframe a bit so the ZPro has clearance.

Do you have any dynos near you ?

If free'd from the design path that a E pipe has to make I suppose that could bend it in a way the spring rub we all love to hate could be resolved?? Not sure, I'll be looking at that when i mount it up.

I do have access to a Dyno, but not sure there will be any pulls on it for this look... Im not claiming this to be a "test" just personal impressions based on what I have seen, used over the years on a DRZ. Besides, ..."numbers" and graphs" are mostly useless outside of tracking changes on the exact same bike, dyno operator, environmental conditions. (I know you know that, just for the masses)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

If free'd from the design path that a E pipe has to make I suppose that could bend it in a way the spring rub we all love to hate could be resolved?? Not sure, I'll be looking at that when i mount it up.

I do have access to a Dyno, but not sure there will be any pulls on it for this look... Im not claiming this to be a "test" just personal impressions based on what I have seen, used over the years on a DRZ. Besides, ..."numbers" and graphs" are mostly useless outside of tracking changes on the exact same bike, dyno operator, environmental conditions. (I know you know that, just for the masses)

That's what I was hoping ,back to back, same bike, dyno and day to compare their exhaust

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

That's what I was hoping ,back to back, same bike, dyno and day to compare their exhaust

It would be cost prohibitive to take the dyno room all day.  Like I said this is not a sponsored test....Its just one guy familiar with the bike model and the general after-market exhaust offerings looking at and giving some personal observations. 

If I had unlimited free time on the Dyno I would ,,,but I dont...I get to sneak in once and awhile for personal use as I made some parts for the install and the operator is a friend .. But non personal stuff has to go though the service manager and get paid for.

• Like 1

Humm????  Does the DRZ world need another loud exhaust? 

Out here in Comifornia sound is what is closing some riding areas.  

OK, I'm stepping off the soapbox now

10 minutes ago, simimi said:

If it wasn't sound California would find another reason to close it. Just pick one

• Like 3

How loud is the Barker’s exhaust?

Here I was thinking I had one of the first one’s to try, not even installed yet and you have already confirmed it’s loud.

Ok I get your point.
If it’s just a noise maker that’s not a help.

But what if it’s a well built, power making design that has options not available in other brands?

Pre and post sale supported with top quality people?
  • Like 1

Enough talk, get it installed already.

On a side note, a new law just took effect in California and an altered exhaust or one louder than 95 dB will earn you a $1000 fine. For specifics look up AB 1824.