Help! Where to Ride in NW USA in early February

1 hour ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Then we pretty much have to assume that you ride only the quad trails and not the extensive single track at Tahuya, so we get why you would.

Joe

That’s a big negative Joe. Have ridden there 6ish times, each time was lead by a guy who knows the area extensively, 95% I’d say was single track, on and off the map stuff. Just don’t like the lack of elevation, spaghetti like trail lines and crowded lots...you obviously do, and that’s cool. 

If i wanted to plan an epic ride trip and needed assistance in planning, @turn_one would be the first person I'd call.  Of all the people I've met over the years of riding he's the one that travels the most, rides the gnar, knows the gear, has the desire...

If T1 asked me to plan a ride and he wanted to join, I'd take him on the typical "Epic Ride", long and challenging. That appears to be his liking. 

Tahuya is like the ski resort that has great facilities, easy to get to, a ton of groomers and tree skiing but none of the trails are black diamond or better and the groomers get really crowded during peak season and weekends. I HATE skiing like that.... But I like to ride at Tahuya in moderation. 

These guys from Kamloops, I talked to on the phone and disclosed the positives and negs about Tahuya. Since they are from Kamloops, I'm thinking they are stir crazy from snow/ice and a long endless stretch of twisty st at Tahuya will probably be an enjoyable stop. 

• Like 1

Easy now fellas lets not get too fired up about opinions on certain riding areas.

I genuinely appreciated everyone's help and comments regarding where we should go. As one poster mentioned, we're looking to mix it up and ride some unique terrain. The one thing that's become quite clear is that 7 days won't really be enough to ride everything that's been recommended, but we'll do our best.

Speaking for my group of friends, the only sure things we're doing is Florence, however Tahuya and Mattawa are right up there as must stops. As TigerTanker has mentioned and offered if he can, a guide in certain areas will always be appreciated and we'd love the opportunity to return the favor if you guys ever find yourself north of the border. I can lead some pretty mean loops in the Kamloops area. This is a vacation for us, away from winter and a chance to ride some new terrain, areas, and have a good time with friends.

Cheers, hope to see you guys on the trails, Ryan

• Like 2

Central Oregon that time of the year can offer some of the best flowing trails in the state. 

As Heavy mentioned, East Fort Rock and Clinne Butte the offer several days of riding with coffee ground soil. Just have to keep track of the weather to ensure not too much snow. This winter has been very mild so far, so trails are in excellent condition. 

If you're at Florence, you can simply drive east directly and hit Central Oregon. 

Both offer nice camping or lodging amenities. 

A very quality and unique riding trip would be a few days in Tillamook, a few days at Coos Bay (Florence is no bueno) and then China Hat.  That would for sure scratch your itch for some unique riding experiences.  Tillamook/Trask won't be so unique to you, but it's quality and has only gotten better in recent years, so you should check it out.  Coos Bay and China Hat will flip your lid the first time you experience them.

• Like 1

X2 on taking Tahuya off your list. I can’t bring myself to drive an hour to ride there; unless it’s on an old Honda cruiser. I can’t imagine spending a day there on a trip like you have planned. I’d suggest adding another day elsewhere. If the lure is for the fast and flowy, I would add a fast trails day to Tillamook.

• Like 1

Easy now fellas lets not get too fired up about opinions on certain riding areas.
I genuinely appreciated everyone's help and comments regarding where we should go. As one poster mentioned, we're looking to mix it up and ride some unique terrain. The one thing that's become quite clear is that 7 days won't really be enough to ride everything that's been recommended, but we'll do our best.
Speaking for my group of friends, the only sure things we're doing is Florence, however Tahuya and Mattawa are right up there as must stops. As TigerTanker has mentioned and offered if he can, a guide in certain areas will always be appreciated and we'd love the opportunity to return the favor if you guys ever find yourself north of the border. I can lead some pretty mean loops in the Kamloops area. This is a vacation for us, away from winter and a chance to ride some new terrain, areas, and have a good time with friends.

Cheers, hope to see you guys on the trails, Ryan

Im from Florence, you guys have dune riding experience? Even for talented guys you can get into trouble fast if you don't have a couple basic sand tactics in your bag. I'd dig coming to hang out when you're down.
  • Like 1

A very quality and unique riding trip would be a few days in Tillamook, a few days at Coos Bay (Florence is no bueno) and then China Hat.  That would for sure scratch your itch for some unique riding experiences.  Tillamook/Trask won't be so unique to you, but it's quality and has only gotten better in recent years, so you should check it out.  Coos Bay and China Hat will flip your lid the first time you experience them.

True, but I like Florence and Winchester bay better than the southern area. Problem in Florence is the better stuff is probably under water so it's just big sand right now. I can show up to ride EFR if it's not dumped on.[emoji106] You won't need a guide at EFR either, there are excellent trail maps available.
  • Like 1

EB1611F4-EB0F-487A-82D1-34CC10B5056A.thumb.jpeg.7cb4c94cd71cbfe804ca78dfd998d321.jpeg

I think China Hat and Millican are 1 out of 5 star riding areas. Flat, whooped, frozen, dusty, non technical, double track...

Someone please tell me about the amazing strip joint on the property I must have missed??

Edited by TigerTanker

14 minutes ago, Euler said:

X2 on taking Tahuya off your list. I can’t bring myself to drive an hour to ride there; unless it’s on an old Honda cruiser. I can’t imagine spending a day there on a trip like you have planned. I’d suggest adding another day elsewhere. If the lure is for the fast and flowy, I would add a fast trails day to Tillamook.

You are a total bs’r

i saw video of you there, on a Honda goldwing, grinning ear to ear!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

You are a total bs’r

i saw video of you there, on a Honda goldwing, grinning ear to ear!

That’s why I said “unless it’s on an old Honda cruiser.” I see now that that was confusing, and I should’ve said old Honda Adventure bike.

My point was that I don’t think it’s worth going to on a small bike unless you’re close by or very desperate.

21 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

think China Hat and Millican are 1 out of 5 star riding areas. Flat, whooped, frozen, dusty, non technical, double track...

Someone please tell me about the amazing strip joint on the property I must have missed??

There's plenty of excellent ridng there if you know what you're looking for!

Edited by firffighter

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:24 AM, turn_one said:

That’s a big negative Joe. Have ridden there 6ish times, each time was lead by a guy who knows the area extensively, 95% I’d say was single track, on and off the map stuff. Just don’t like the lack of elevation, spaghetti like trail lines and crowded lots...you obviously do, and that’s cool. 

Fair enough. I can see that too so to each his own :thumbsup:

Joe

• Like 1

hey Boys....i haven't posted here is YEARS!

I am 1/5 of the BC guys headed south.

BC Extreme is a busy guy with work so i will start replying as well.

We would love trail guides! hell beers on us!  I myself have only been south riding 3x.  twice to florence and once to a scramble at a off road park south of seattle.  Luke BCExtreme said we grind out hard single track north or boarder all the time. ...usually uglier the better. This trip isnt necessarily looking for that(although no complaints) we want to ride stuff we dont see every day.

coos Bay tour would be amazing

also moon rocks looks pretty interesting.

• Like 1

East fort rock during the week, especially an off day when nobody is there is a guilty pleasure. I only go once, maybe twice a year, but some lunatic built some trails with corner radius' and berms, etc that allow for extraordinarily high speeds through the woods. To plod along at trail speed one might get bored, but dial a handful and oh man, dirt bike bliss. I looked at my speedo high speed mark...87mph

Big time consequences for a head on or an accident at those speeds, so be careful and go when nobody else is there.

• Like 1

TSF will be your best bet for quality miles. Feb can be a nasty time of the year for Oregon, I suspect anything East of the Valley will be snowed out. TSF is my local riding zone, i'd be happy to show ya'll around the nastier trails for a few days ( I might try and bum some petrol for the bike though ? ) . I can connect all the good riding areas for dirtbikes out there, almost guaranteed to not see another person, just pieces of KTM's all over the place. Seriously though, i have never seen so much Orange trash in TSF as of late. 

• Like 1