BYOB experience

I recently bought a Beta through the ‘BYOB’ system.  I picked what I wanted and had my dealer place the order (since I was trading in a bike).  Franks Motor Bikes

The bike came through quicker than their estimate, everything was exactly as I ordered.  I did do some things after I got it, different rear tyre (my favorite is the Michelin X-11 radial trials tyre), P-Tech skidplate/pipeguard/linkage guard, HDB handgaurds with mirrors, smaller turn signals (dealer installed the full sized ones with the Beta kit, but for my use I would trash those), hour/rpm meter (under seat), and I kept all the original plastics/graphics before I rode it and installed another set with some custom graphics.

As a note- I checked the greasing on the linkage- plenty of grease, same with the rear axle, steering head.  I did use antisize instead of grease on the chain adjusting bolts, but they did grease them.  I don’t know how much Beta USA did for the greasing and how much was factory- but it was excellent. (I had it lowered with the K-9 fork kit, so all that was off).

Thanks Beta USA!

364FDBF0-7510-4FCE-9CFF-06A7CDF6B7BB.jpeg

78A322AF-A16A-431D-8542-61F2E8566B10.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Helpful 2

Looks awesome.  

I had done the BYOB back in 2017 and other than the long wait, it helped that it was 02/22/2017 delivery, the experience was excellent and I hope that I can do it one more time should I ever need another RR-S or another bike.  

• Like 1

Just now, firffighter said:

Great looking bike and perfect for NW woods! 

Will you be breaking it in soon or wait for a break in the weather? 

I’ll be breaking it in as soon as possible.  I’ve taken it around the neighborhood a bit to get it hot (it is plated)- but not up in the mud.  Can’t wait to try it out more.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rooster73 said:

So that back tire. I’ve seen those before. How well does that tread pattern do in mud, sandy dirt, rocks, and nasty hill climbs?

It is a Michelin competition radial trials X-11.  It is outstanding in mud, rocks, mostly hill  climbs.  I have not tried it much in sand.  BUT- no trials tyre I’ve ever tried works worth a darn over about 5psi-  3-4 is better.   Using a Tubeless rim or Tubliss system give the best results.

They work fabulous- IF you don’t spin or lock it up. Once you lock it up with the brakes they don’t do much.  But if you don’t lock up- they are better.  Same with acceleration.  If you keep it from spinning- traction is outstanding.  But if you are a heavy throttle hand and like to spin a lot- I wouldn’t buy one.

they are not great for high speed- although I used to use my 300XCW pretty quick a lot with one.  Just have to ride a little differently. While I did use on in the Sand (east of Bend, OR) on my KTM- if you ride ‘aggressively’ a knobby may be better for those conditions. 

All just my thoughts of course -  and I’m sure many here will be happy to attest I know less than a hemlock stump.

mark

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, lotus54 said:

It is a Michelin competition radial trials X-11.  It is outstanding in mud, rocks, mostly hill  climbs.  I have not tried it much in sand.  BUT- no trials tyre I’ve ever tried works worth a darn over about 5psi-  3-4 is better.   Using a Tubeless rim or Tubliss system give the best results.

They work fabulous- IF you don’t spin or lock it up. Once you lock it up with the brakes they don’t do much.  But if you don’t lock up- they are better.  Same with acceleration.  If you keep it from spinning- traction is outstanding.  But if you are a heavy throttle hand and like to spin a lot- I wouldn’t buy one.

they are not great for high speed- although I used to use my 300XCW pretty quick a lot with one.  Just have to ride a little differently. While I did use on in the Sand (east of Bend, OR) on my KTM- if you ride ‘aggressively’ a knobby may be better for those conditions. 

All just my thoughts of course -  and I’m sure many here will be happy to attest I know less than a hemlock stump.

mark

Thanks for the info.

I rode with a guy that using that tire system in a 480 beta. Popped the bead a few times and went flat.

i think it would be awesome to run that tire with a bead lock wheel If they make one. 

5 hours ago, lotus54 said:

I recently bought a Beta through the ‘BYOB’ system.  I picked what I wanted and had my dealer place the order (since I was trading in a bike).  Franks Motor Bikes

The bike came through quicker than their estimate, everything was exactly as I ordered.  I did do some things after I got it, different rear tyre (my favorite is the Michelin X-11 radial trials tyre), P-Tech skidplate/pipeguard/linkage guard, HDB handgaurds with mirrors, smaller turn signals (dealer installed the full sized ones with the Beta kit, but for my use I would trash those), hour/rpm meter (under seat), and I kept all the original plastics/graphics before I rode it and installed another set with some custom graphics.

As a note- I checked the greasing on the linkage- plenty of grease, same with the rear axle, steering head.  I did use antisize instead of grease on the chain adjusting bolts, but they did grease them.  I don’t know how much Beta USA did for the greasing and how much was factory- but it was excellent. (I had it lowered with the K-9 fork kit, so all that was off).

Thanks Beta USA!

364FDBF0-7510-4FCE-9CFF-06A7CDF6B7BB.jpeg

78A322AF-A16A-431D-8542-61F2E8566B10.jpeg

Bike is beautiful!! Congrats on a very nice build!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rooster73 said:

I found the pipe name. 

Question 

due to the $200.00 price for that protector, would it be better to just replace the pipe once itsbeat up since pipes are the same price?

I guess ‘It depends’.

Along with the pipe protection, it has excellent frame and engine protection. Plus linkage.

I also don’t want to hit the headpipe hard on a log or something and damage the flange where the pipe goes in the cylinder.  Plus it is very likely to damage the pipe pretty early on where I ride.  A riding buddy damaged his- no crash, just a hidden stump that did a fair amount of damage.  Of course it is always  a gamble.  Depending on the sort of stuff you ride no pipe guard and the stock skid plate would be less weight and keep the wallet heavier.  (The stock pipe is pretty thin stuff I understand).

mark

Edited by lotus54
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rooster73 said:

Thanks for the info.

I rode with a guy that using that tire system in a 480 beta. Popped the bead a few times and went flat.

i think it would be awesome to run that tire with a bead lock wheel If they make one. 

I’ve been using Tubliss for years- the only issue I had was the first time I did an install I messed it up.  Learned my lesson!   I ran the same tyre on my old 300XCW for about 280 hours before it finally wouldn’t hold air.  It went flat on a ride and I just rode it out.  Unless the high pressure bladder fails there is no way for the tyre to come off.

I use the same tyre on two bikes with tubeless rims (trials bikes).   But I don’t know any enduro bikes that use a tubless rim.

Mark

Edited by lotus54
  • Like 3