Have YZ450FX , HATE wide ratio trans....YZ gear swap?

I live on the east coast and hate the wide ratio trans on my 450FX. I am seriously considering putting standard YZ gears in- just for gears 3,4 and 5. I actually like the granny gear first, and second is almost the same as the standard YZ

Question is, has anyone done this mod, about how much did parts cost, total? It appears I will need six gears (3 pinion gears , 3 wheel gears) and a bunch of gaskets

I got the FX because I ride and race this bike in off road events, hare scrambles, etc. It is better than the standard 450F in every other way for m use.

The massive gaps between second and third gear and between third and fourth have got the engine constantly on the edge of bogging in tight, east coast conditions/ especially third, I need it to pull third smoothly the majority of the time and as it is , right on the edge of bogging, it does not

This is the case even with a 51 tooth rear. 52 teeth would be a bandaid fix just like the 51, but too much of a bandaid- it would make the first gear (granny gear) totally useless, make second too low as well. I may test a 52 just for the hell of it but Im pretty sure it would just shift my problem with third and fourth down to a problem with first and second

Since I've gotten more time on my bike I found that revving out 2nd actually works pretty well. Even though it's a 450 I never really feel like it gets heavy or out of control. If you're in 3rd and having issues bogging, try shifting to 2nd and revving it out more. The first month I had my bike I thought 2nd was too low and third was too high, but I was shifting to 3rd way too soon. No issues with it since I've adjusted my ear tachometer.

• Like 1

I hate auto clutches....training wheels for your left hand

Im going to try the 52 tooth option and see how it goes.

my initial research indicates that I can get the six gears and gaskets I would need for $415.... thinking it over

• Like 1

The newer backward engines are down a bit on pulling torque. I wish they didn’t make the stroke so short with the bigger bore in comparison to the older five valve engines. Changing final gear ratios should be tried first. I added fuel down low and it helped some. 

I wish someone made a torque cam or a stroker for the bike. Not sure what Web cams makes for the bike. 

Hum one of you guys could talk to Web Cam and see if they can make a cam that provides more torque. 

Note on the five valve motors when you put a Hot Cam in the bike acted just like these backward engines. You had to ride a gear lower everywhere and it didn’t pull the gearing. Big loss of torque. 

9D82FE9A-2F9D-42B1-9F32-EE6D9D0C1ABA.png

Edited by StevetheSnake

6 hours ago, Woodsweapon350 said:

WR trans is so over rated. Should have just bought an F and had the suspension done for the woods

probably right. On top of that, the trans just locked up while I was rding a while ago, suspect a fragged gear

I rode KX450f's for nine years without a single issue- put 300+ hours on at least five of them. They are bulletproof.

My Yamaha FX experience is off to a rough start

1 hour ago, turborex696 said:

I have heard rumors that the ampro team was running the 450f gearbox in the 450fx because most of the top level pro's hated the wide ratio gearbox with the huge jump between 3rd and 4th gear. Im pretty sure its a direct swap of the gears. 

Yea I’m sure the gears would be a direct swap, it’s jus the added expense of doing after already dropping almost 10k for the bike