Have YZ450FX , HATE wide ratio trans....YZ gear swap?

19 hours ago, whipit1k said:

lol running up into high RPM's and approaching the limiter is NOT how you ride a 450 smoothly for a two hour race....or at all for that matter.

I've ridden it for multiple 1-2 hour rides and not had any issues with getting tired or holding onto the bike. The point I'm trying to make is it's not close at all to redline, it just feels like it is. I'll find out for sure next month when the FMHSC starts up how hard it is to ride in race conditions, but as of right now it is easier to ride longer than my old bike. Just try it next time you're riding, it's actually pretty easy to ride.

I would like to do this swap also when I rebuild my entire engine this summer. This will be for my 16 FX snow bike. The gap between second and third sucks. On dirt I might be able to deal with it, but on snow especially in deep snow it is a constant fight. Anyway, I have no need for a granny first gear but I definitely would like to keep the taller 5th gear.  Snow bikes are geared way down to turn the track so it is nice sometimes having that taller gear for the trails. So… Will any gear set for a 14-17 work? 

Before anybody says just buy an F, I will list the same reasons as everybody else. Plus, the backup kickstarter, Much larger Stator and old-school lead acid battery that actually starts the bike when it’s 5° out. 

Thanks.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Needpowder said:

I would like to do this swap also when I rebuild my entire engine this summer. This will be for my 16 FX snow bike. The gap between second and third sucks. On dirt I might be able to deal with it, but on snow especially in deep snow it is a constant fight. Anyway, I have no need for a granny first gear but I definitely would like to keep the taller 5th gear.  Snow bikes are geared way down to turn the track so it is nice sometimes having that taller gear for the trails. So… Will any gear set for a 14-17 work? 

Before anybody says just buy an F, I will list the same reasons as everybody else. Plus, the backup kickstarter, Much larger Stator and old-school lead acid battery that actually starts the bike when it’s 5° out. 

Thanks.

Pretty sure any 14-17 would work. I put a '14 YZ-F trans in my FX and it is the best mod anyone could do to the bike. The gap between second and third is so bad in technical trail/tight racing conditions that I really am astounded that they delivered the bike with that setup. Yamaha must have tested the damn thing in baja.....certainly not on anything resembling east coast racing conditions

Edited by whipit1k

1 hour ago, whipit1k said:

Pretty sure any 14-17 would work. I put a '14 YZ-F trans in my FX and it is the best mod anyone could do to the bike. The gap between second and third is so bad in technical trail/tight racing conditions that I really am astounded that they delivered the bike with that setup. Yamaha must have tested the damn thing in baja.....certainly not on anything resembling east coast racing conditions

Sweet. Thanks! I will try to pick something up. Probably have another month and a half or so of snow so I’m not in a big hurry. The conditions I ride in Utah are mostly desert but I sure don’t see how a close ratio transmission would hurt any of that. If I think I need a lower first I’ll gear it down and still have a fast top speed with the FX fifth.  

Even in Baja I didn't like those gaps. If the low first was really that important, this needed to be a 6 speed.

2 hours ago, GHILL28 said:

Even in Baja I didn't like those gaps. If the low first was really that important, this needed to be a 6 speed.

agreed, six speed or just a close ratio five speed with taller final gearing. the gap to third is atrocious on the east coast. It is my understanding that the 19 model is much better

On 1/9/2019 at 10:03 PM, whipit1k said:

On 1/9/2019 at 10:03 PM, whipit1k said:

I hate auto clutches....training wheels for your left hand

Have you had a Rekluse? 

24 minutes ago, whipit1k said:

I have ridden a lot of rekluse equipped bikes and hate it

I don't ask if you ridden one, I asked if you owned one? With today's Rekluse Clutches, you would never know I had one in the bike unless I told you. 

1 hour ago, Hans Schmid said:

I don't ask if you ridden one, I asked if you owned one? With today's Rekluse Clutches, you would never know I had one in the bike unless I told you. 

Until you stop on a hill and go backwards or burn one up deep in the woods and need to get towed back. 

5 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

Until you stop on a hill and go backwards or burn one up deep in the woods and need to get towed back. 

Lol, strawman argument... 

17 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Lol, strawman argument... 

Better than being the Tin man rolling down the hill backwards or being That guy that had to tow the Husky rider out of the woods. Oh and that morning he was trying to tell me how well made the Rekluse manual clutch was made. 

But not to knock them to death many people use and like them. I’m just not one of them. But that doesn’t mean much. 

Are you using one? 

43 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

Better than being the Tin man rolling down the hill backwards or being That guy that had to tow the Husky rider out of the woods. Oh and that morning he was trying to tell me how well made the Rekluse manual clutch was made. 

But not to knock them to death many people use and like them. I’m just not one of them. But that doesn’t mean much. 

Are you using one? 

Yes, I use them. I've been using them for years. 99% of the problems associated with Rekluse clutches are from improper installation and failing to make necessary adjustments after the intial break in. Also, alot of the 'stigma' related to them are formed from old world experiences. Many bought and tried them 10+yrs ago, didn't like them due to whatever circumstances and decided that they are stupid. What's offered today is very different then yesterday. Or, much like others have said, "I tired a buddies and didn't like it". I've ridden lots of buddies bikes too, some with Rekluses and others without. I dont like most of their bikes regardless. 

I've had two 'mechanicals' related to the Rekluses. Outside of these 2 issues, I've owned easily a dozen of them, with a ton of hours in them both in and out of competition and been 100% happy. 

-The 1st, I completely overheated one which cause the Rekluse to become a manual clutch. It was under one of the more extreme conditions in my YZ 250. Theory is the wedges wouldn't return due to the heat. After a brief cool down it was fine and I never had a single issue.

-The 2nd being a new unit installed on my YZ450F. This was also a new Rekluse from Rekluse. Torque spec for the hub nut were wrong in their supplied installation paperwork which caused the Rekluse to prematurely lock up which gave me no clutch at all. After a few calls, the the torque spec was reduced and it ran flawless after that. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:

YES

YES I have owned the Rekluse, training wheels for your left hand. I had a very lightly used KX450F I bought from a friend at one time. The first thing I did was remove that junk and sell it. There is no reason that anyone needs an auto clutch. Just learn how to properly use the manual clutch. some bikes are more prone to stalling due to compression/ignition timing/general manners, etc so I suppose I am sympathetic to that situation where the auto clutch is concerned, but the bulk of my riding/racing  over the last ten years has been on KX450f's and now YZ450FX's .

These are not stall prone bikes and the rekluse is totally unnecessary and serves only to give a delay when power is applied and make it difficult to actually know what gear you are in at times. I also hate automatic clutch ATV's, and that is essentially what your rekluse turns your race bike into- an auto clutch beginner oriented atv

2 minutes ago, whipit1k said:

YES

YES I have owned the Rekluse, training wheels for your left hand. I had a very lightly used KX450F I bought from a friend at one time. The first thing I did was remove that junk and sell it. There is no reason that anyone needs an auto clutch. Just learn how to properly use the manual clutch. some bikes are more prone to stalling due to compression/ignition timing/general manners, etc so I suppose I am sympathetic to that situation where the auto clutch is concerned, but the bulk of my riding/racing  over the last ten years has been on KX450f's and now YZ450FX's .

These are not stall prone bikes and the rekluse is totally unnecessary and serves only to give a delay when power is applied and make it difficult to actually know what gear you are in at times. I also hate automatic clutch ATV's, and that is essentially what your rekluse turns your race bike into- an auto clutch beginner oriented atv

So you think a Pro that uses a Rekluse doesn't know how to use a clutch? 

Also, which Rekluse model do you have? 

Edited by Hans Schmid

All the pro's that I know who use Rekluse/run rekluse covers on their bikes are using manual stuff. A pro who runs rekluse is just trying to avoid stalling the bike...thats the only possible advantage

anyone (including a pro) who is stalling a lot needs to work on setup/clutch skills.

4 minutes ago, whipit1k said:

All the pro's that I know who use Rekluse/run rekluse covers on their bikes are using manual stuff. A pro who runs rekluse is just trying to avoid stalling the bike...thats the only possible advantage

anyone (including a pro) who is stalling a lot needs to work on setup/clutch skills.

Your logic is 'interesting' to say the least, though very unfounded.