can anyone help[ identify this bike?

Just now, Daniel627 said:

Mine is a 200

Crap... Well if you ever decide to part the engine, give me a holler if they are in good shape. For now, this is what the project looks like, so I'm OBVIOUSLY not in a hurry. :D

20180328_215242.jpg

• Like 1

I wrapped a Banshee around a tree one time, made an insurance claim, bought the quad back, bought a new frame from Yamaha (no vin number) and put the quad back together. Sometimes legal incidents do result in no vin number. 

• Like 1

That thing is SCARY! 

I wouldn't even touch that one. I have a set of forks from my '90 XR200R. They'll need new seals and gone through, but they're in good shape.

I already sold the shock from the '86 parts bike I have otherwise I'd sell the full suspension

Edited by Daniel627
Left stuff out

I researched the difference between the 84-85 XR 200 and 250 and I remember the only real difference is the cylinder bore. They utilized the same suspension, frame, plastics and wheels. Of course carb jetting is also different. This suspension was the same on the XR200 all the way until Honda decided to lower them after 1992 or 1993. So if you wanting to use the front forks you will need the rear shock as well. The 84/85 rear shock has a remote reservoir that clamps to the frame while your 2002 does not. 

1. Also the motor size is stamped at the base of the cylinder. XR200 is stamped with 193cc and the 250 I believe is 247cc.

Look at the base of the cylinder, on the sides. You should find the displacement there.

2 hours ago, yophilly said:

Here's another picIMG_0248.jpg.b3a4269c063323c863ce947e897c7b27.jpg

The vin# is stamped pretty deep in the front of the headstock and on most bikes is mostly matching on the engine case. You can run the engine numbers to see if it stolen. If the engine numbers are ground off too, you definitely have a stolen bike. One trick the kids normally do is repaint the stolen bike a different colour to make it unrecognizable. 

I would get the engine number and report it. The cops will shake the present owner down and get the name of who sold it to him. Charges may or may not get laid, but the heat may discourage further thefts. To buy the bike is to encourage further thefts and possibly have a knock at your door when the cops trace the bike to you. 

I am not the type of turd who trades in stolen property, how about you? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kalamazoo said:

I wrapped a Banshee around a tree one time, made an insurance claim, bought the quad back, bought a new frame from Yamaha (no vin number) and put the quad back together. Sometimes legal incidents do result in no vin number. 

I understand there is almost no chance that the bike in the original post has a title, but (like in Kalamazoo's case above) when registration/title is updated, it will be noted on the paperwork if a frame has no serial number. Some states require a new number engraved on the frame.

Good luck with your projects!

It has a RFVC engine and if that is a drum brake on the front it does look like a 84-85 XR200R. However parts get switched so best to check for a VIN and the engine serial number because they contain a 4 digit Honda Product Code that ID the model of bike.  

The VIN number is steel stamped into the right side of the steering head. Cables rubbing against  the steering head can wear down the high spots, and then painting can fill in the lows, which results in what looks like no VIN. The number can be exposed by rubbing a cloth wet with lacquer thinner or acetone to desolve the paint.

The engine number is stamped low on the left side of the engine between the counter shaft sprocket and the crank.  The cylinder displacement is cast into the rear bottom of the cylinder.

The first four of the engine serial is the Honda Model Code, as is position 4-7 of The VIN. The Model Code for 84-02 XR200R is "ME05", 84-95 XR250R is  "ME05", 83-85 XR350R is "NE01" .

Tenth position of the VIN is the model year code, the  84 is "E", 85 is "F".

The rims are stamped with size and width. All 84-85 XR200R/250R had 17" rear rims as do the 86+ XR200R, the 86+ XR250R had 18".  The XR200R rims are 1.85 wide, XR250R 2.15.

I would be very leery of buying stolen so do try to expose the VIN and do a VIN check.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Chuck.
correct model and product codes
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

It has a RFVC engine and if that is a drum brake on the front it does look like a 84-85 XR200R. However parts get switched so best to check for a VIN and the engine serial number because they contain a 4 digit Honda Product Code that ID the model of bike.  

The VIN number is steel stamped into the right side of the steering head. Cables rubbing against  the steering head can wear down the high spots, and then painting can fill in the lows, which results in what looks like no VIN. The number can be exposed by rubbing a cloth wet with lacquer thinner or acetone to desolve the paint.

The engine number is stamped low on the left side of the engine between the counter shaft sprocket and the crank.  The cylinder displacement is cast into the rear bottom of the cylinder.

The first four of the engine serial is the Honda Product Code, as is position 4-7 of The VIN. The Product Code for 84-85 XR200R is "KK0", 84-85 XR250R is  "KK1", 84-85 XR350R is "KN5" .

Tenth position of the VIN is the model year code, the  84 is "E", 85 is "F".

The rims are stamped with size and width. All 84-85 XR200R/250R had 17" rear rims as do the 86+ XR200R, the 86+ XR250R had 18".  The XR200R rims are 1.85 wide, XR250R 2.15.

I would be very leery of buying stolen so do try to expose the VIN and do a VIN check.

Hope that helps.

It does, Thanks chuck!

UPDATE!!!

I took the ride saturady to check it out. Turns out the vin was painted over and just needed a little sandpaper to reveal it. I ran it on the nicb website and came back clean. It's an 85 XR200r, so I bought it. 

So now I have a complete 85 xr200r engine for sale. No spark, 125 psi on the gauge.

Also the carbs, air box with good boots, front exhaust pipe with mid-pipe, kick start (it's pretty loose so my be junk anyway)

And the ugliest xr200 gas tank in the world......

PM me if there's any interest, not trying to get rich here. I'll gladly forward the vin to anyone who's interested. As well as a copy of the bill of sale with the sellers address and all.

Let me know if you want me to pull the valve cover and check out the cam journals or whatever gets wiped out in these things. I didn't weigh it, but the engine feels a lot heavier than a 2-valve motor...probably a fortune to ship it....I have pics of the individual items if you wish.

i'll gladly move this info to the for sale section, mods feel free to delete this post if it violates any rules or whatever.....

Thanks to everyone for the info, you can expect a bunch of dumb questions about rebuilding forks and shocks now....BTW one fork tube is tweaked...more on the that later

• Like 2