Wait-A-While

Flat slide carbs on an old 2-stroke

8 hours ago, jaguar57 said:

man, you had me worried for a moment there. you're good. 

the formula from the site is horsepower per cylinder = Coefficient of power x Test Flow in  cfm

So if the CFM increases 1.7% then the hp increases 1.7%

So for a 25hp engine a 1.7% difference is .425 hp

Do you think you would even feel that small a change? (hint - the answer is NO)

The story line is shifting to some degree here.

At a 25 hp level, I would not be able to feel a 1.7% increase in output, but I would tell a friend, competitor or customer that it can be measured in reduced average lap times, reduced successful pass attempts by your competitors and increased opportunities to pass. HP is a unit that measures work performed over time. Races take time. No way would I suggest that anyone leave that .425 HP on the table, particularly when the cost to have it is so low.

anyway the carb is not the biggest restrictor in the intake system, it is the reed valve.

that can be proved by the pressure difference across it. You won't find a pressure difference across the carb at WOT.

The flow test of those two carbs was without a reed valve. fatal flaw. so there is not even a 1.7% advantage.

if the design of the flat slide carb offers any advantage then it is probably a more linear/consistent fuel/air regulation across the full throttle range. I don't doubt that is possible but I have no evidence either way to state an opinion.

Edited by jaguar57