flesh

LHRB SMOKN VS REKLUSE

Which is better and why? Looking to get one or the other soon. Thanks! Haven't tried either. 

5 hours ago, markit said:

You have to have the Rekluse to b able to use the lhrb.

What? No you don't. They're independent systems.

I have both. If the choice is one or the other, go with the Rekluse.

What bike are you putting it on?

I'd say, the older you are and the more technical terrain you ride and the more clutch work required to ride it, the more the Rekluse comes out on top. Try to find someone to get a ride with one. May seem awkward at first but you quickly adapt.

What is meant by SMOKN?

Edited by Trailryder42

I might have misunderstood the OP's question, but I kind of got the impression that they were asking opinions on which manufacturers LHRB is better, SMOKN's or Rekluse's, rather than asking preference between an LHRB or auto-clutch. I could have got the wrong end of the stick though.

Yooj

16 minutes ago, Yooj said:

I might have misunderstood the OP's question, but I kind of got the impression that they were asking opinions on which manufacturers LHRB is better, SMOKN's or Rekluse's, rather than asking preference between an LHRB or auto-clutch. I could have got the wrong end of the stick though.

Yooj

Oh, you may be right then. I didn't know SMOKN was a left hand rear brake manufacturer. Are you saying the SMOKN unit requires some of the Rekluse LHRB parts or that it requires the Rekluse clutch pack to be able to use it? That would mean the SMOKN unit is tied into the clutch somehow. 

I'm only familiar with the Rekluse one.

Edited by Trailryder42

I see that, since I got mine, Rekluse has improved their master with a dead stroke adjustment. That's really the only gripe I could make about mine.

Thanks for the link.

Ya, the question is, has anyone tried the SMOKN LHRB? It's about the same price as Rekluse's but I haven't seen many reviews or heard from anyone who has tried both. Looking at the components it appears that Smokn's are of higher quality, but I have no idea if that's true. Also, the smokn setup allows one to use the clutch lever/reservoir for the LHRB and the smokn lever for the clutch, for those with auto clutch setups. This seems like it would add power. Prices are close enough that all that matters is which is better. I have tried the ox brake in the past and I love the lhrb but it needed a bit more power. 

That was my first impression too, that the SMOKN "looks" of higher quality. May be just the shiny bits. The Rekluse slave insert is black anodized. I do like the SMOKNs swivel compression fitting on the lines tho.

I've been using the Smokn system for years (have had the Rekluse LHRBs as well). I used their "stage 2" set up which allows for the conversion of the clutch lever (and master cylinder) to the actual LHRB and use their supplied Hayes mtn bike lever as the clutch. Works great. The hayes lever works fine if you don't want to go through the trouble of the conversion. 

The last stage 2 Smokn system I installed was a bit of a pain though. Instead of the rubber O ring that goes into the rear brake mc he now supplies this teflon wafer type ring. Didn't work, fortunately I had an extra Rekluse O ring that did the trick. I emailed him directly and he was kinda snarky about it.

Aside from that, it's a good product. I would get a Rekluse O ring however.

1 hour ago, Trailryder42 said:

That was my first impression too, that the SMOKN "looks" of higher quality. May be just the shiny bits. The Rekluse slave insert is black anodized. I do like the SMOKNs swivel compression fitting on the lines tho.

Much higher quality. The brake lever is better than the one Rekluse provides, and the rear brake insert is much better.

2 hours ago, dyrtmon said:

Much higher quality. The brake lever is better than the one Rekluse provides, and the rear brake insert is much better.

Does the SMOKN master have the initial dead stroke pull that the original Rekluse unit has?

1 hour ago, Trailryder42 said:

Does the SMOKN master have the initial dead stroke pull that the original Rekluse unit has?

I don't know what a "dead stroke pull" is, sorry.

What I do know is that it works exactly like and has all the components of the Rekluse LHRB.

Both of them are just Hayes master cylinders, you could piece together your own kit pretty easy. I can tell you now both will have LTA brake performance and be a PITA to bleed due tot he small diameter line used. I used the Rekluse one for a while but after moving to using the stock clutch lever as a LHRB I would never go back to the rekluse one again. Way easier to bleed and performance is heaps better.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bowser said:

Both of them are just Hayes master cylinders, you could piece together your own kit pretty easy. I can tell you now both will have LTA brake performance and be a PITA to bleed due tot he small diameter line used.

Ok, took me a minute, but I think I figured out that LTA means Less Than Acceptable. Yes? I agree, it can be a pain to bleed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dyrtmon said:

I don't know what a "dead stroke pull" is, sorry.

What I do know is that it works exactly like and has all the components of the Rekluse LHRB.

Dead stroke, to me anyway, is a short pull in the lever/stroke that does nothing, before you get to a point in lever pull/stroke that it actually starts to make pressure in the system.

Sounds like smokn ftw. Also, sounds like the most powerful lhrb is smokn/custom using the oem clutch setup? 

For those of you have have used smokn lever for clutch, works fine? Hard to bleed like brake is?

11 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

Dead stroke, to me anyway, is a short pull in the lever/stroke that does nothing, before you get to a point in lever pull/stroke that it actually starts to make pressure in the system.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. 

My system (Stage 2 set up where the clutch lever is now the LHRB and the Hayes lever is the clutch) has virtually zero dead pull.

When you say the "original" recluse lever, wondering if you mean when they supplied a Magura lever (have that on my 09 300) very little dead pull. For awhile I used Smokn's Hayes lever as the LHRB and DP was not an issue. 

20 minutes ago, dyrtmon said:

When you say the "original" recluse lever, wondering if you mean when they supplied a Magura lever 

That I didn't know. Thought it had always been a Hayes. No, when talking "original" I mean the non-dead stroke adjustable master.