Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I bought one of those rear Ktm hard part straps, first ride with it , in some tight woods clipped a tree and down I go, bike was slightly on a down hill, so it would take double effort to pick it up, and I thought, I get to try that strap.

Boy I have to tell you, that strap was worth the money, so much easier to get a hold on both ends of the bike, rather than just the bars.

 

NEHUwZ4.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spud, brother, you godda work on your post titles, or maybe on your delivery. I clicked your thread and was nervous about reading how the strap caught a tree and caused you to go down. ;)

I was curious about those, I don't want to install a hard handle above the muffler (that attaches to the muffler bolts) because I know I'll bruise my thigh on it. This looks much more promising.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Horgh said:

Spud, brother, you godda work on your post titles, or maybe on your delivery. I clicked your thread and was nervous about reading how the strap caught a tree and caused you to go down. ;)

I was curious about those, I don't want to install a hard handle above the muffler (that attaches to the muffler bolts) because I know I'll bruise my thigh on it. This looks much more promising.

Ha !     sorry!

Yeah its a direct fit hard part, the kit came with two different types of sleeves and screws for various year models.  Ive been putting it off for a while buying one, but it worked great.  I got it from motosport.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to read you didn't get a hernia. Even though my 500 is light as F compared to my XR4, I put the handle on and will do straps front and rear because well I suck and know I'll need them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cmbthumper said:

Good to read you didn't get a hernia. Even though my 500 is light as F compared to my XR4, I put the handle on and will do straps front and rear because well I suck and know I'll need them.

I ride with wrist wraps, same type I use at the gym. I don't see a reason you couldn't ride with a weight lifting belt. They help a lot if hernias are a concern. I tore my lower ab muscles and came close to a hernia, the belt has been great not just during recovery, but also since to keep me lifting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Horgh said:

I ride with wrist wraps, same type I use at the gym. I don't see a reason you couldn't ride with a weight lifting belt. They help a lot if hernias are a concern. I tore my lower ab muscles and came close to a hernia, the belt has been great not just during recovery, but also since to keep me lifting.

Getting old sucks donkey balls for sure. I have to wear a wrist strap liek yours on my right wrist from my 30 years of computer work, my corset (That's what i called it and looks like a chick one) from my back surgery and MotoSkiveez for my back/ass on this sh*tty seat. Takes me a damn hour to gear up. All worth it even for a 2hr evening rip.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i cant stand all those handles and straps they are bound to catch and tangle up in something. the oem plastic has good grabs and you can always carry a small strap in your pack.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Airboss/oc said:

i cant stand all those handles and straps they are bound to catch and tangle up in something. the oem plastic has good grabs and you can always carry a small strap in your pack.

Party pooper. 😂😂😂

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, StevetheSnake said:

Party pooper. 😂😂😂

the retailers hate me

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got those straps on all my KTMs front and rear... come in real handy every once a while. I like the front one especially if a buddy pulls on my bike up the hill LOL

Think the original came from here: https://thetugger.com/

 

  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used an aftermarket brand strap on both the front and the rear for 5 years.   I have found that I use the front grab strap more often than the rear.  This is especially true if I need to use a rope to pull the bike out of a ravine as sometimes it is possible to lift the bars off the ground and reduce the chance that they dig in.  That said both straps are lifesavers for me and I recommend them.  I have never had them catch on anything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I just got the rear, figured Id have more use for it, will get the front also. Im old so when my bike falls over, its really deflates the energy level picking it up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

Yeah, I just got the rear, figured Id have more use for it, will get the front also. Im old so when my bike falls over, its really deflates the energy level picking it up.

Shoot I loose energy watching other people picking up their bikes. 😂

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

Yeah, I just got the rear, figured Id have more use for it, will get the front also. Im old so when my bike falls over, its really deflates the energy level picking it up.

I'm not even 30 yet and a few failed hill climbs = it becoming hard to throw my leg over the rear fender. A few more failed attempts and i have had to go an easier way around & try again another day due to fatigue.

I can imagine that with age, things like grab straps and properly lowered bikes will only become more helpful.

By the way, my friends dont ever help eachother up the hills, usually we just laugh at eachothers failed attempts.  But maybe one day my front tugger will get some use :]

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

Shoot I loose energy watching other people picking up their bikes. 😂

I hear ya on the getting old bit. However, I am not so old that I don't get a thrill when I snap open the throttle and lift the front end coming out of a corner.  Some things just never get old and that's probably a contributing factor to why I end up picking up my bike so many times.  Where the rear strap really helps me out is when I need to heft the bike up on a rock over a tree.  Better yet, having the straps installed allows 2 people to work together and no one burns their glove on the exhaust system.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, arc2arc said:

I hear ya on the getting old bit. However, I am not so old that I don't get a thrill when I snap open the throttle and lift the front end coming out of a corner.  Some things just never get old and that's probably a contributing factor to why I end up picking up my bike so many times.  Where the rear strap really helps me out is when I need to heft the bike up on a rock over a tree.  Better yet, having the straps installed allows 2 people to work together and no one burns their glove on the exhaust system.

I’m 63 😳 and been at it for 53 years non stop. Now if that doesn’t tire you out just thinking about it. 🤔 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny to hear you young kids referring to being old.  Sheesh!!!

Ralph  (d.o.b.; 12/12/1936)

  • Like 2
  • Helpful 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 4:31 PM, Spud786 said:

NEHUwZ4.jpg

Spud,

I'm beginning to think that you are just sitting your bike on some sort of dyno and just running up the hours on it.  You have a LOT more hours on your bike than I do on mine, and your plastic and stickers still like better than mine did, even on day one!!!

I suck as a rider and spend far too much on the ground (less than previously however).  I've learned not to sweat the scratches and bumps.  It may not be true for everyone, but for me, if I ain't crashing, I probably ain't ridin' either...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys.   I am 61 years old and have only 60% lung function. I was out "exploring" a potential new trail and buried my KTM 500 EXC in a swamp. Totally stupid, all my fault. It took an hour of sweating, swearing and breath catching to turn it around and get out. Without the Hardparts handle the bike would still be there or I would have had a heart attack. Had to rinse inside my Fox boots 20 times until the water started to get clear. Old man wisdom, get some kind of handle/strap front and rear on your bike.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×